Chadstone v Hughesdale v Oakleigh

Hi all

I want to buy my first IP.

I was looking at Chadstone, Hughesdale or Oakleigh.

Initially, I was keen on either Chadstone or Hughesdale because it was close to Chadstone. However, Hughesdale was my prefered options because it was also close to a train station.

But Oakleigh on the other hand, has good shops/cafes.

If you had a choice out of the three areas, which one would it be and why?

I am looking to invest for the long term.

Thanks

Personally from those three I'd pick Hughesdale. It is a reasonably nice looking neighbourhood, close to chadstone shopping centre with train and is also moments to the shops at Oakleigh too.

I've seen units, especially villas and town houses, increase from around $430,000 on average to ~$580,000 over the last two years.

I agree with Jake. I lived in Oakleigh/Hughesdale for 4 years and prefer Hughesdale. It looks more posch than Oakleigh. Also the Oakleigh shopping centre, shops and Chadstone are not far away from Hughesdale.

Hi There,

Looks like we are looking in similar areas - well at least one of them - Chadstone.

Here is my condensed version of my experience:

I started looking at around the 2010 year mark on and off, not really serious around Ashburton/Chadstone/Ashwood - pretty much in that order of preference. Ashburton 700m2 properties back then could be picked up $700K or $1,000 per m2. In the end, we didn't buy as we chickened out last minute and really didn't have enough $ to. Big mistake in the end, in the space of 3-4 short years it's gone up by $200-$300K.

Chadstone has experienced a growth spurt in the last 6 mths, with the area behind Harvey Norman being quite pricey, or anywhere near Holmesglen for that fact. Not sure about Oakleigh and Hughesdale, never really looked into those areas.

Hi

Hi,

I think all areas have their pros and cons.
I would also say what do you want to achieve out of this property?

Cheers
Johann Psaila

Definitely capital growth.

Rental will be a consideration, but, I more concerned with long term growth of these areas.

I am aiming to invest for a minimum 5 years.

Definitely capital growth.

Rental will be a consideration, but, I more concerned with long term growth of these areas.

I am aiming to invest for a minimum 5 years.

My priority in order:
1. Hughesdale
2. Chadstone
3. Oakleigh
99. Frankston. :D

-

Hughesdale is a nice area to live in. It's good to raise a family as there are plenty of greenery around with good schools ...

Chaddy is also around the corner and it's set to get a lot bigger! Apparently, the expansion will leave some scope for a future hotel development. I originally thought that this was an interesting idea. But would a hotel necessarily be positive for property prices? Not sure how likely this will go ahead

Indeed they are Cong.

Oakleigh has a significant amount of development and Hughesdale is closeby. I'm always looking for townhouses in the hughesdale/ clayton area so please let me know if anyone is selling.

Chaddy is a interesting beast, you can still get some affordable property past Warrigal Rd on either side of Waverley Rd as you move across to Ashwood with the ol'commission type houses, still alot of development to occur there.

Cheers Ivan

Back