Change strata property into survey strata/green title

Hi everyone - longtime lurker on the site but finally am looking to buy an IP and thus looking for some advice!

Theres a property I'm interested in - freestanding duplex on a strata plan. The front gardens etc i understand however are common property. If I wanted to change this to a survey strata or even a green title, what challenges and costs would I be facing? What can stop the process?

Is this something I should discuss with the council and neighbour before putting an offer in?

Thanks

To change the strata plan you need everyones permission. It gets tricky when there's common property too - how would you split it?

Why? What are you trying to achieve by doing this?

Cheers

Thanks for all the replies so far

I'm wanting to do this as I think the house is a good investment for me (decent rental yield and good location that will appreciate over next decade with infrastructure etc) but when it comes time for me to sell I think if its a survey strata (with more land ownership) it would be worth a lot more...

How much does it cost to change to survey strata?

Thanks for all the replies so far

I'm wanting to do this as I think the house is a good investment for me (decent rental yield and good location that will appreciate over next decade with infrastructure etc) but when it comes time for me to sell I think if its a survey strata (with more land ownership) it would be worth a lot more...

How much does it cost to change to survey strata?

I doubt it would be worth more than it cost to do.

Most people don't even appreciate the difference I find.

going for green title may be worth it tho, the perceived diff between a strata villa and a house on own green title lot can be huge

When you say duplex are you looking at half the duplex so they share a wall and garden etc? And you want the two halves of the duplex to be on their own title.

Have you got a site plan or strata plan you can upload?

Green titling would almost certainly have a prohibitively high cost because you need to unshare all the service connections.

It is also unlikely to improve the value all that much if we're talking a duplex lot with shared walls etc.

I can't remember the last duplex pair I saw in Perth where it seemed worth it. (Although I've seen quite a few worth changing to survey strata in order to build GFs on).

Our house is currently on a strata plan, despite having no common property, separate driveways, no shared walls etc and I looked at converting to SS/green title. Survey strata costs would be about $800-$1000 for surveyor then maybe another $1000 to update CT?s at Landgate. Green Title more depending on where services are shared etc.

I spoke to the valuer last time we got our place revalued and raised this idea with him and his view was there wouldn?t be much point. He said given that there?s no common property, shared walls etc as a valuer he would look at it like a green title/SS anyway. The only perceived benefit would be when you sell as some people like to see a freehold title, but I would imagine that the vast majority wouldn?t know the difference/care.

It could be easier to pass a resolution for exclusive use of an area. This wouldn't be a permanent fix as the strata owners can agree to remove this provision.

Anything that is going to result in re-strata or impact unit entitlement will require an absolute majority.

There are some hints that the changes to the strata titles act may have a reduced provision, but it's always hard to get people to make changes on items which have no benefit to themselves.

I had a strata unit in a group of 4 changed to survey strata with landgate. All the owners chipped in because we all wanted it.

Before the change, my back patio was common property, so legally any owner or occupier had a right to use it. Obviously they didn't, but it's not an ideal situation. The Landgate process didn't seem that complicated but I wasn't organising the surveyor or lodging any applications, so my perception may be wrong. Can't recall how much it was but split 4 ways it didn't seem like too much at the time. It was worth it IMO.

Back