Changes / tightening on servicing for investors

Its not black and white and there is no textbook as to how lenders are going to treat this. It will be very difficult to do equity releases up to 90% - this will come by way of:

1. Credit scoring - straight out decline based on how each lender has tightened their credit scoring

2. Credit will come back with a "only provide the cash out once the client has found a property" (which most are doing now anyway)

3. Credit may say happy for 90% cash out but customer needs to revert to P&I

4. Credit may say no IO on PPOR debt

OR a combination of all of the above.

Bottom line is that its a moving target and you need to hope that the broker and banker is on their game.

Comes back to the saying that pull out the money/equity when you can and don't leave it for later.

Thanks!

It still sounds like its better to take the aggressive strategy risk and go to 90% (if possible!) straight off (keeps money in pocket), reno using the saved funds, then either extract equity if still possible, or wait for life to change and CG and extract to 80%. Keep IO of course...

Limited up front val ( not impossible...but they do ask a lot of questions + charge the client so it's not free)

They allow you to nominate your preferred valuer though, as long as the valuer is on their panel. Their panel is pretty comprehensive, so this can be mighty handy :)

But the original post was about servicing constraints and how to push past them using some lateral thinking... that's where the adelaide/firstmac/nras combo comes into it's own, provided there is really good equity to work with.

Thanks!

It still sounds like its better to take the aggressive strategy risk and go to 90% (if possible!) straight off (keeps money in pocket), reno using the saved funds, then either extract equity if still possible, or wait for life to change and CG and extract to 80%. Keep IO of course...

Yep pretty much nailed it.

This is why a CG strategy is much more important than yield play. There are heaps of ways to increase your income but not capital.

From a finance equity perspective You are already in negative CG if you have done your loan at a 95% LVR and can only top up to 80%. You would need to wait a while before being able to use the bank's money and leverage.

Yep pretty much nailed it.

This is why a CG strategy is much more important than yield play. There are heaps of ways to increase your income but not capital.

From a finance equity perspective You are already in negative CG if you have done your loan at a 95% LVR and can only top up to 80%. You would need to wait a while before being able to use the bank's money and leverage.

You can increase your income by capital gain. You can sell shares to realize capital gain for income. I have sold properties that have had CG , but low yields for income, plan on selling one every 3 or 4 years, and still maintain the same value of net assets and LOC. I will run out of years before I run out of property. Capital gain can be realized to purchase higher yielding assets to increase your income.

The banks don't need to touch that policy, they let the valuers do it for them via conservative valuations.

windyzz, Peter - is it only certain banks that have that policy or will all revalue OTP at current market value after 12 months of signing the contract on settlement?

Reason I ask is that I am about to settle on an OTP apartment in Brisbane that we signed the contract on just over 12 months ago and am in the process of arranging finance.

Reason I ask is that I am about to settle on an OTP apartment in Brisbane that we signed the contract on just over 12 months ago and am in the process of arranging finance.

There's a few. Off the top of my head - ANZ and Macquarie will. There are others but I can't remember who.

Cheers

Jamie

windyzz, Peter - is it only certain banks that have that policy or will all revalue OTP at current market value after 12 months of signing the contract on settlement?

Same, I signed my contract in January 2014, and will be completed in about 8-10 months time. I heard CBA has the policy too. But not NAB.... Not too sure. Just hope this policy remains in 12 months time.

Same, I signed my contract in January 2014, and will be completed in about 8-10 months time. I heard CBA has the policy too. But not NAB.... Not too sure. Just hope this policy remains in 12 months time.

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if this changed as a result of APRA intervention - doesn't seem to align with specific risks identified.

Add nab into the mix.

No discounts on investment loans (above the published discounted rates) and mooted changes to their serving model.

Last edited:
Mm

So what does that mean for a standard variable rate now ?

Just as I was about to go on a spending trip :(

Cliff

arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic :)

wont have any real bottom line effect.

What much of this hints at is that APRA will increase the capital reserve to be hold for IP backed loans..........................

ta
rolf

talked to my lending manager and he confirmed the same. was in a hurry during lunch break so didn't get a chance to check with him on details, do you guys know what will happen to:

1. fixed rate? can investors still get nab's advertised fixed rate below?

http://www.nab.com.au/personal/interest-rates-fees-and-charges/interest-rates-for-home-lending

2. borrowing power and final approval? will the increased loan cost lower my borrowing power? by how much? will they knock me back and refuse my loan (AIP is in place)?

3. Interest Only option? are they going to change their I/O related policies?

It is still very early stage, but I guess many of us are going to be interested in answers to the above questions, will really appreciate if can keep us updated. Thanks!

arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic :)

wont have any real bottom line effect.

What much of this hints at is that APRA will increase the capital reserve to be hold for IP backed loans..........................

ta
rolf

Just looking at doubling the number of deck chairs on the titanic .

That's not an iceberg , that's opportunity :D

Cliff

Back