Changes / tightening on servicing for investors

Odds are, they can't even qualify for the loans they've got, let alone to purchase any more properties. :eek:

This is an important point. For anyone already at the limit, they might be tempted to think - I'll sell one to buy a better performing property (e.g. sell in Syd in 12 months, buy 3 in Bris for same price). Beware - that money may not be available to be "redeployed". In this case you'd rather have an OK performing property rather than none at all. It's like a game of musical chairs, only you're guaranteed to lose your chair.

Last edited:
On a more constructive note anyone come up with any non banks with decent servicing besides Firstmac and ABL funded mortgage managers?

I hope Nab's changes stick and they don't implement further servicing changes. The 28% loading isn't too bad (relatively speaking) - the extra supporting docs is a pain though.

On a more constructive note anyone come up with any non banks with decent servicing besides Firstmac and ABL funded mortgage managers?

P&N are good for servicing, especially if you're buying under 80% lvr. They don't have dua, and they only like WA borrowers, but if you have ties to WA they might consider. And a WA broker is not a good enough tie. I know because I asked ;)

Attended a function this today and spoke with about 15 different lenders. There are still lenders that will take actual repayments and have very strong servicing models. A few are even outside of APRAs oversight (that's what they tell me).

The catch is of course, the price you'll pay via higher rates and fees.

Attended a function this today and spoke with about 15 different lenders. There are still lenders that will take actual repayments and have very strong servicing models. A few are even outside of APRAs oversight (that's what they tell me).

The catch is of course, the price you'll pay via higher rates and fees.

Yep, one of the indirect consequences of targeting the main banking sector is that it will see investor lending move towards the 'shadow' banking sector. They'll see a big spike in their investment business i think as deals get pushed to them that'd previously had gone to Macq, NAB, Adelaide, AMP.

They do remain outside APRAs scope, which i think provides a window of opportunity for investors to continue this further. It will take a while for them to come in view. APRA relies on a system of collecting data and their systems may not be in place to capture data from the shadow sector as accurately as required from ADIs. In any case (if these lenders are asked), there'll be months in terms of lag time before data is reported.

On the other hand, i'm sure those policy experts would know that this intervention would do this and perhaps they've been proactive (regulators being proactive? Crazy!) and set up systems to have some level of oversight.

In Australia the shadow sector has typically been very small as a portion of the lending market. It has been as they've only been able to get business with to niches that the major players wouldn't fill. Now with these serviceability tightening on investors, they have a much bigger 'niche' to fill.

For those that it affects most, i think their the least price responsive (sophisticated investors with large mortgage holdings) and may be willing to be a bit more in fees to get deals over the line.

Cheers,
Redom

Ah, so this is what shadow banking is. I always thought it was a nice way to refer to loan sharks. So basically it's the smaller lenders?

Ok question - other than the higher rates and fees, are they as inherently safe as the larger banks? Would one have to worry about predatory behavior? Do you need to proceed with extreme caution or are they pretty much as safe as the big guys?

Ah, so this is what shadow banking is. I always thought it was a nice way to refer to loan sharks. So basically it's the smaller lenders?

Ok question - other than the higher rates and fees, are they as inherently safe as the larger banks? Would one have to worry about predatory behavior? Do you need to proceed with extreme caution or are they pretty much as safe as the big guys?

Haha well in policymaking terms we used the term to mean banks that aren't under the same oversight levels as the main banks that are prudentially regulated.

Loan sharks do fall into that bucket.

In terms of higher rates, it should be noted the rates are still very much residential rates. Given the size of the lenders these residential rates aren't too shabby and can compete with the bigger players.

The one that i've used so far has a variable rate starting at <4.25%. The difference is that valuations have fees paid by client, so the upfront cost is a bit more - but the rate is sharp.

Cheers,
Redom

Here is a question....I know Westpac have changed criteria...but have St George changed yet...they are owned by WBC but are a separate business entity....

Haha well in policymaking terms we used the term to mean banks that aren't under the same oversight levels as the main banks that are prudentially regulated.

Loan sharks do fall into that bucket.

In terms of higher rates, it should be noted the rates are still very much residential rates. Given the size of the lenders these residential rates aren't too shabby and can compete with the bigger players.

The one that i've used so far has a variable rate starting at <4.25%. The difference is that valuations have fees paid by client, so the upfront cost is a bit more - but the rate is sharp.

Cheers,
Redom

Ok thanks. What about dodgy practices / risk? Obviously I'm referring to the smaller players and not the loan sharks. Do they have predatory practices and lots of surprises and catches? Or are they generally ok?

Here is a question....I know Westpac have changed criteria...but have St George changed yet...they are owned by WBC but are a separate business entity....

Just announced they are adding 2.25% buffer to their assessment of OFI debt.
They haven't removed neg gearing though, which WBC did

In Australia the shadow sector has typically been very small as a portion of the lending market. It has been as they've only been able to get business with to niches that the major players wouldn't fill. Now with these serviceability tightening on investors, they have a much bigger 'niche' to fill.

For those that it affects most, i think their the least price responsive (sophisticated investors with large mortgage holdings) and may be willing to be a bit more in fees to get deals over the line.

I'm not really talking about private funders catering to sophisticated investors borrowing millions. There are plenty of well established lenders out there catering to the fringes of the market but with funding sources that are outside APRA. Brokers just need to get to understand a broader landscape of lenders.

I believe that all first and second tier lenders will come under the ongoing reviews sooner or later. Today I also spoke with a couple of credit unions that already have fairly conservative policies and are generally off the investment radar. They're getting the knock on the door as well.

JohnHenry the BankWest change occurred and was discussed on this threat weeks ago.

Most lenders have adjusted their LVR policy, but most are still allowing you to borrow up to 90% of the property value. Unless you were relying on BankWest for finance (it's hard to think of why you'd do that), the LVR change haven't been worth worrying about so far.

JohnHenry the BankWest change occurred and was discussed on this threat weeks ago.

Most lenders have adjusted their LVR policy, but most are still allowing you to borrow up to 90% of the property value. Unless you were relying on BankWest for finance (it's hard to think of why you'd do that), the LVR change haven't been worth worrying about so far.

Ah I see.

Thanks Peter.:D

Back