Changes to the Anti-Discrimination Laws

Will the new anti-discrimination laws roll over to residential tenancies. If so I'm a little concerned that the position of residential property managers may change if and when the proposed Government changes to the Anti-Discrimination laws come in.

A couple of points that concern me.

1. It will now be up to the organisation to proof that they weren't discriminating against the person. Guilty until proven innocent
2. Tenants will cry discrimination every time that don't get approved for a home as the complainant doesn't have to pay any costs associated with accusing the organisation
3. Property management fees will rise due to the Property Manager having to defend themselves every time an accusation is put forward
4. Property manager becoming biased an accepting the applicants on the basis that if they don't accept them as the tenant, they will cry anti-discrimination.

Just food for thought.

For any future business owners, looking at it from there point of view. There would not be a chance in hell I would ever start a business that needed employees. You'd be in court ever 5 minutes and can never recover your costs.

If I were a property manager I'd simply have a definied policy on what we do to vet tennants, accompanied by a checklist, and I'd follow that checklist for every tenant assessed.

"Sorry, the owners have denied your application, they didn't give a reason why though"

That was my response as a property officer...

All with the act of non discrimination

"Sorry, the owners have denied your application, they didn't give a reason why though"

That was my response as a property officer...

All with the act of non discrimination

The potential problem once the changes have been made to the descrimination act, is if the tenant challenges the Property Manager accusing them of not accepting them as a tenant due to race, sexuality, religion...whatever it may be, then the onus is now on the property manager to prove they didn't descriminate, not the tenant having to prove that they did. (The Property Manager is automatically guilty until they prove their innocence)

What is even worse is the tenant can accuse, then the Property Manager will have to prove their innocence, all at their expense and no expenses can be recovered by the claimant.

Maybe they have to say 'the owners gone with another application'?

Sounds like a nuisance tho, but I didn't encounter many tenants who did get up in arms about being rejected, they all seemed to just move onto the next one

Sounds like a nuisance tho, but I didn't encounter many tenants who did get up in arms about being rejected, they all seemed to just move onto the next one

You're right about most tenants just moving on, I was more concerned once the laws change, that Property Managers would themselves be more concerned about being taken to task for discriminating against a certain tenant, thus recommending this tenant rather than recommending the tenant best suited to the landlord.

True, but I doubt many managers would want to choose that type tenant anyway :)

I always saw the tenants as applicants for a job haha - choose who I like

We had a tenant threaten discrimination when we told them we do not permit marijuana, whether they claim it is for medicinal reasons or not, in or on any of our properties.

Maybe they have to say 'the owners gone with another application'?

The problem is when we decline an applicant but don't have another at that time and possibly not for a while.

We had one recently where we were just tidying up unit and current tenant from another unit wanted our unit. I didn't want family with 3 kids so wasn't very receptive to the approach and gave her the 'see the agent' line. No favors just because you are already on site.

Anyway, later that week we found that both locks had been super glued. I stand vindicated for mentally rejecting them. We just left them superglued for a week or so to ensure that I only fixed it when a tenant was moving in, otherwise figured we would just get a repeat. This would be my least favorite unit / block (only have one unit in block - no balcony)

By the way they never actually submitted an application.

So if these lovely folk were prepared to superglue the locks I would guess they would also scream anti discrimination.

Cheers

Back