changing agent, will this work?

So, previous tenant is in arrears with big cleaning bill. Current PM applied for NCAT though I'm not sure it'll result in anything.
Would it be complicated if I change agent now? I.e. can I keep the current agent to process the NCAT and receive payments (if any) from their system, while going for the new agent for the rental? Or should I wait and relist the property with current agent then change after?

Property is still vacant and won't be ready for listing for at least another 2 weeks, where I have the floor sanding done, then pest treatment and final clean.

Property is still vacant and won't be ready for listing for at least another 2 weeks, where I have the floor sanding done, then pest treatment and final clean.

How long before the case goes to NCAT? Will you have a hearing before the property is ready for inspections? If the hearing comes first, get the current agent to run the case, then engage the new pm once resolved.

The PM hasn't said anything about dates, will follow up with her.
What if the date is after the property available for rent?

I've taken over managements in the passed (as a PM) but kept the old agent to continue until the current tenants move out (deal with bond etc) while I try find a new tenant. But not in the situation where it was out of hand to the point they were going to tribunal.
However if your going to have issues getting access to a clean house to show perspective tenants you are better of waiting until they move out anyway (to start advertising for new tenants).

I've taken over managements in the passed (as a PM) but kept the old agent to continue until the current tenants move out (deal with bond etc) while I try find a new tenant. But not in the situation where it was out of hand to the point they were going to tribunal.
However if your going to have issues getting access to a clean house to show perspective tenants you are better of waiting until they move out anyway (to start advertising for new tenants).

Hi Michael,

The place is empty now, I'm just doing some work to make it more liveable and easy to care for and should all be done within 2 weeks or so.

Current PM is chasing the ex-tenant on their arrears and cleaning fees etc thought have not heard back, hence the application to NCAT :(

Around here the agents simply hand over the entire file. If I take over management of a property that has a VCAT hearing coming up that becomes my problem too. If your current PM is so bad you wouldn't trust them in NCAT would you be better to change?

Around here the agents simply hand over the entire file. If I take over management of a property that has a VCAT hearing coming up that becomes my problem too. If your current PM is so bad you wouldn't trust them in NCAT would you be better to change?

The current PM is... ok and that's about it, just ok. She can handle the process I think.
My main gripe is her communications especially on problems. Every single email and communications I sent through need to be followed up, no feedback whatsoever on requests/ questions so I'm not sure whether she'll be looking at it or whether I should take over, asked 3 questions and answered one, many of the communications resulting with more work for me to do, never in the office to answer call, never answer mobile :eek:
She might be an ok PM, however my communications feels like it's going to a black hole and just not a good match :(

The current PM is... ok and that's about it, just ok.

If she is only OK when there are problems then you might want to give it to the new one to deal with. You can really tell how good a PM is when there are problems and how they handle it. When there are no problems it's hard to tell the good from the bad :). I would not be confident trusting this issue to someone who is 'OK' at their job :) Start interviewing the new PM's!

I would not be confident trusting this issue to someone who is 'OK' at their job :) Start interviewing the new PM's!

That's what I think as well, 'OK' doesn't cut it.
Interviewed two other PM, they're both moer expensive, one is too expensive that it's prohibiting (9.35% plus letting and everything else), the other is 7.15% plus letting plus everything else (current PM is 8.8% flat). I'm going with the 7.15% one who sounds quite helpful (and hopefully so!), just need to sort this tenancy out first.

That's what I think as well, 'OK' doesn't cut it.
Interviewed two other PM, they're both moer expensive, one is too expensive that it's prohibiting (9.35% plus letting and everything else), the other is 7.15% plus letting plus everything else (current PM is 8.8% flat). I'm going with the 7.15% one who sounds quite helpful (and hopefully so!), just need to sort this tenancy out first.

Let us know how you go, remember, price isn't everything and everything is negotiable!

Just got update, tribunal 1 December, I'm quite sure the property will be ready to rent by then. What do I need to communicate to the next agent to take over?

And I take my word back, the agent is not 'OK', she's terrible, shifty and doesn't want to take responsibility. I've got a rubbish removal fees about +50% more than quoted, when asked to bring it back to the cleaning company, she said but oh, the quote was not including the garage (I asked quote for all rubbish in the property). No communications was made to me prior work being done, so there's this additional non-authorised $$$ coming out of no where. So darn furious right now. I still want to rant :mad:

Dear EN70,

your Property Manager Does have a duty of care towards you.
There is a Fair trading Rules of Conduct.

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/Property_agents_and_managers/Rules_of_conduct.page?

You must Speak with the Lisencee in charge, and warn them about this!
On Somersoft we hear so many cases of agents hiring staff and then not supervising them!
I hope this helps!
Cheers
Seaford Sunshine

Thank you SeafordSunshine, I sent an email asking who gave the authorisation for the unquoted work (either the tradies or her). I'll cc'd the general manager in the next email as well.

Holding to account.. literally!

So,
I trust the licensee in Charge will 'cough up'

Stand your ground, and keep the Rules of Conduct in the back of your mind!

I hope this helps
Cheers
Seaford Sunshine

So,
I trust the licensee in Charge will 'cough up'

Stand your ground, and keep the Rules of Conduct in the back of your mind!

I hope this helps
Cheers
Seaford Sunshine

So, the agent said she has called me to communicate that the quote was not including garage, which is a lie. So I sent an email back on their poor communications, plus a request to cover the excess, with the Licensee in Charge cc'd. My head is piping hot, totally dislike people who lied right to my face.

I can understand you being furious. Try to keep that out of the emails to a certain degree!

I think if you inform your new PM of the current situation and what you would like moving forward they can help you list and advertise the property with no issues. Do you have landlords insurance? If so, use the bond for the rubbish removal and cleaning and use your landlords insurance to claim on any damages and outstanding rent above the bond amount. They won't cover cleaning and rubbish removal unfortunately but hopefully the bond will do most of that for you.

Most importantly you want your new PM to have access to the property for photos and advertising ASAP :).

I can understand you being furious. Try to keep that out of the emails to a certain degree!

I think I did well with the wording, "It is dishonest to [fact fact fact]" instead of "you liar". :p

I think if you inform your new PM of the current situation and what you would like moving forward they can help you list and advertise the property with no issues. Do you have landlords insurance? If so, use the bond for the rubbish removal and cleaning and use your landlords insurance to claim on any damages and outstanding rent above the bond amount. They won't cover cleaning and rubbish removal unfortunately but hopefully the bond will do most of that for you.

Most importantly you want your new PM to have access to the property for photos and advertising ASAP :).

Yes, I have landlord insurance, requested additional documents from current PM which surprise surprise, I have not got. I have not heard about the bond either despite asking for updates for several time. Will try to email their account department instead.

Contacted the new agent, waiting for their response :)

Words of Wisdom!

Just what Sez Said,

she is always the smiling face of reason, and a breath of fresh air!;)

Cudos to you (but where is the button)?:eek:

Just what Sez Said,

she is always the smiling face of reason, and a breath of fresh air!;)

Cudos to you (but where is the button)?:eek:

Kudos is the measurement symbol on the top right of each post :)

Back