Changing existing Halogen to LED Melbourne

Has anyone done this? And is there anyone you would recommend or a trip to Bunnings would fix this?

There's a company that keeps advertising on radio and then there's Ledified.

Feedback appreciated!

We replaced about ten lights in our kitchen and meals area and outdoor deck in one go. From memory it cost us just over $1K for the lights and the sparkie. We later replaced eight lights (on the front of our house and the fence) to LEDs. Cannot recall the cost but could look it up.

I feel better about running LEDs and all lights we swapped are ones that are on for hours at a time, so we should be saving the environment and saving money too.

We sent for LED ones with a diffuser inside and like these much better than some of the LEDs we looked at insofar as the "ambience factor".

OK I want KUDO for this post.

Go to

http://www.ledbenchmark.com

This place lists all the LEDS lights and tests them! Tells which ones are good and which ones are crap.

Also I know this:

ALDI has some of the cheapest and best LED. Made in germany even! $4 for $35 bargain!!!!

BUT if you change over to others consider full units not just lamps at $45 as opposed to $30 as the control gear is better suited in most cases.

Try the also and see.

Regards Peter 14.7

PS if they are plug in you don't need a spark.

Or just post information because it may help someone out even if you may not get anything in return... ;)

Touch? and as my 4000 plus posts would indicate, I agree.

It was more a tongue in check request than demand. That site is GOLD as most LED is crap quality and last months if lucky.

Peter

I gave you kudos anyway peter :p

What's your thoughts on ledified?

Cheers Spades.

Dont know, Here is whirlpool thread on LEDIFIED

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2088712

Personally, I am always dubious on the door knocker company that can come, make $$ and go, leaving you with potentially rubbish.

I note one poster said he wanted written guarantee they would not hum with age and LEDIFIED would not give it.

LED do save 90% ish on power use.

Personally, having tested ALDI ones in commercial office, I and waiting for them to come around again and moving all mine over. I find 95% of ALDI gear is really good and at a price if less than perfect, you have not lost.

Peter

But wait there is more: form WHIRLPOOL

As a lighting professional can you say whether there is any particular difference between the inbuilt driver for an energy saving CFL, & an LED Bulb/Lamp/Globe?

The Fluorescent is (at least fundamentally) a much more complex circuit. They work in completely different way, fluorescent is high voltage AC, LED is low voltage DC.

But LED lighting is projected to last several times the already lengthy 6000 ? 8000 hours for CFLs.

Might this require heavier duty [more expensive] driver electronics?

Any LED where the electronics is in the same housing as the LED lanmp is highly unlikely to last anywhere near the "projected lifetime
".

If this is the case, then no name products might need to be very inexpensive, & SAFE?, to be considered at all.

There are currently no Australian Standards for 240V LEDs like tubes and GU10 lamps. They also completely skirt the safety testing and certification requirements that apply to other lamps like CFLs.

Were something to go wrong it would seem desirable that the product was underwritten by a large organisation, with deep pockets. Recent startups, unfortunately, too often fail early.

In my professional experience as facility manager of office towers, it is the life of the fitting that matters. No good saving 90% is it does not pay back it higher purchase due to short life.

Lights like to go on, stay on, then off. On and Off is bad for life.

The recent rule to get rid of incandescent lamps ignores the fact these are best for frequent use like WCs, Bathrooms, WIR etc... Like celling heat lamps in a bathroom, on paper they use MEGA power when on. But if only on the 5 minutes whilst your dry yourself they are much better than underfloor heating or radiators etc.. which heat the room 24/7.

Peter

Peter

had ledified come over a few weeks ago, got the usual sales talk

reckons they get a 50% rebate from teh govnerment which I found out was true

ended up being about $1100 for 30-35 Leds, which pricewise is normal but not a huge discount,

the guy said he would come back in a few hours but never came back

OK, let's do something differently. If you have halogen downlights and with MR16 GU5.3 12V, the bulb will look like this LED bulb:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10218193/

You can actually replace the halogen bulb with the LED bulb. However, if you have halogen downlight, it will probably be about 50W and it needs to be replaced with an LED 12W bulb to get similar level of luminescence flux. It is not usual to find such wattage LED bulb in Australia, but you can get it from China/Hong Kong through Ebay for about $5 each. Make sure you specify the bulbs to be 50 mm in diameter, the supplier may not be too careful.

So, for about $50 you can replace 10 halogen bulbs.

The main incompatibility is the halogen transformer which is designed for higher wattage bulbs. The LED bulb will work although over loaded somewhat by the halogen transformer.

Based on existing electricity tariff of about 18 cents per kWHr, the $50 10 LED bulbs are justified if they can last beyound 6 months and if used on average at least 3 hours a day.

:)

Last edited:
Back