Changing laptop screen resolution

Hi guys,
I recently bought a laptop.. light as a feather and nearly fits in my pocket. The only problem is the current screen resolution is 1024x600, and I need 1024x768 to use a trading program.. Do you know if it's possible to increase the res in the advanced settings and change back easily? I'm guessing part of the screen will be missing.

Or if I plug in a different screen to the laptop will it be recognised when trying to install the program again?

Thanks

Hi vb,
Is this the native maximum hardware resolution of the screen, or just the software output? In other words...

• Right-click your desktop
  • Select properties
  • Select the Settings tab
  • Check the screen resolution slider as shown below

displaysettings.png

If the slider will not go past 1024*600, then that's the maximum resolution your screen will display. If you connect a second monitor, you can select the "2" (as shown in the image) and adjust the resolution of THAT monitor using the slider.

Select the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" check box and you should also be able to drag the application to the 2nd monitor.

Great solution wobbycarly, I'm guessing vbplease has a netbook (maybe an Asus 1000?). vbplease, your best bet would be the plugin a spare monitor and then follow wobbycarly's instructions.

Tell us if you have any problems.

I'm guessing Vbplease doesn't want to carry a big monitor around with his compact laptop :rolleyes:

If you can't up your resolution to 1024 x 768, you might still be able to set your windows desktop to 1024x768, allthough only 1024 x 600 is the visible resolution, you can scroll the entire desktop up and down 168 pixels, to reveal the full screen. I've done this once before on an older pc so that software with minimum resolutions would run.

I don't know if your driver version will let you do this, or even if a driver is available to do this on your laptop however :confused: If you have trouble, let us know what exact model you have.

Thanks guys,

The laptop is an Acer, Aspire one, model KAV60.

In the settings the slider only goes up to 1024x600.. I'm not sure if that's the "native maximum hardware resolution of the screen, or just the software output", as you put it Rob.

Vincenzo, do you remember how to get past this? Does it involve going into the driver settings?

I think the second monitor might be the go.. Once I've updated the settings as Rob suggested, and I install my program again, will the second monitor definitely be detected as the default monitor?

cheers,
vb

In the settings the slider only goes up to 1024x600.. I'm not sure if that's the "native maximum hardware resolution of the screen, or just the software output",

If that's the maximum that the slider goes up to then unfortunately that's the maximum native resolution. To get any higher you will need a different screen.
Any information will be listed under AOD150, rather than KAV10.

The image below shows the maximum resolution of the screen. It also shows a VGA 'physical interface' which you can plug another screen into.

Attachments

• acerlaptop.jpg
    acerlaptop.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 69
Back