Changing over cooktop

Hi all,

Recently signed a contract for our new PPoR and want to do the following to it:

1. Change the electric cooktop with a 900mm free standing gas unit and oven
2. Replace the tiles with glass splashback

I'm not handy, so I am looking for a tradie to do the work. I'm unsure who to approach. I've tried calling a few small kitchen renovation places, but they don't seem interested in the work or they only do full kitchen renos.

I'd appreciate any advice or pointers in the right direction.

Thanks
Srini

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 102
Yep, that's a small job.

Try a general handyman service, like hire a hubby or such.
Cabinet maker might be interested.
A carpenter might be interested (if they have no work)

Things to consider:
Where are the cabinets placed?
If you take out the cooktop and remove 900mm bench is there a nice 900mm cupboard underneath it to take out?
Or will you have to remove more cupboards and then replace then with smaller cupboards so you get your 900mm gap.
What is the bench top made from? that dictates how difficult the job is? You can get laminex edging to fix up the bench top when you cut it.
If you get different cupboards you will need new doors made up.
Splash back is easy it's just pulling off the tiles and getting the glass made up, getting power points cut before they harden the glass, get your measurement 100% spot on. Clean up the wallboard and use silicon to fix the splashback.

good luck
Graeme

You will need a plumber for the gas,
maybe ask a local property manager who they use for oven installations.

Free standing cooktop will be a decent job as it requires removal of current cabinetry and stone bench return, new end panel to abut the new cooktop, stone mason to seal and polish benchtop where the edge will be exposed to the cooktop.

The bench top is granite.

Are there people that will manage the whole thing? I'd rather have one person to deal with and have them schedule and manage the trades even if it means a few more dollars.

Hi all,

Recently signed a contract for our new PPoR and want to do the following to it:

1. Change the electric cooktop with a 900mm free standing gas unit and oven
2. Replace the tiles with glass splashback

You'll need to remove tiles, benchtop, cabinets.
You'll need to figure out what you'll do with the floor now the cabinet is going.
You'll need a electrican & a gas fitter.
Depending on what oven you are getting you might need to have the fusebox checked & upgraded to make sure it can handle the new load.
Gas will probably need to be cut into the wall (removing rangehood) and fitted or run through the cabinets depending on where the gas is already.
Benchtop can be cut with a grinder and polished but will probably need to be removed so water can be poured on it to cool the stone.
Cabinet will need a end piece added against the oven.
New splash back needed.

You can organise all this yourself if your handy.

This isn't a small job, it may look like it, but it involves a few different trades.

As was said above, the benchtop is your biggest issue, you need that corner piece removed, cut, and re-polished.

Again, you need a cabinet maker to remove the end panel on that cupboard and put it on the corner cupboard.

I'd try and get him to make a matching kicker to run around the bottom of the freestanding oven so you don't have to patch the floor.

If not, depending on how the floor was done, if it runs all the way under the cupboards, you can just get it re-sanded and polished.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, you might like the look of a freestanding cooktop, but it's a massive waste of money in this instance. The costs will build up, especially from the benchtop company, and the guys patching the floor.

You could quite simply replace the cooktop and the oven (im not sure where the existing one is?) with built in versions, alot easier than having a freestanding one....... If they are too small for your liking, it's alot easier getting a guy in to cut the 600 cutout into a 900 cutout for the cooktop, and it's alot easier altering one cupboard to fit a 900 oven than the rest of it......

This isn't a small job, it may look like it, but it involves a few different trades.

As was said above, the benchtop is your biggest issue, you need that corner piece removed, cut, and re-polished.

Again, you need a cabinet maker to remove the end panel on that cupboard and put it on the corner cupboard.

I'd try and get him to make a matching kicker to run around the bottom of the freestanding oven so you don't have to patch the floor.

If not, depending on how the floor was done, if it runs all the way under the cupboards, you can just get it re-sanded and polished.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically, you might like the look of a freestanding cooktop, but it's a massive waste of money in this instance. The costs will build up, especially from the benchtop company, and the guys patching the floor.

You could quite simply replace the cooktop and the oven (im not sure where the existing one is?) with built in versions, alot easier than having a freestanding one....... If they are too small for your liking, it's alot easier getting a guy in to cut the 600 cutout into a 900 cutout for the cooktop, and it's alot easier altering one cupboard to fit a 900 oven than the rest of it......

Exactly the kind of advise I was looking for. Thank you.

I am time poor so don't want the hassle of chasing up individual trades. Will small hire-a-hubby type handyman be able to manage this for me and organise the trades as suggested by someone here? Kitchen reno places don't seem to care for the job.

I run my own kitchen business and the reason why these jobs don't appeal to me is that the cost involved is simply not worth it. With jobs like these customer assumes the whole job should only cost $500 and when you give them a quote for $2k they look at you funny.

It's not because it's a small job, it's because you waste too much time quoting and then not winning the job because the customer thought it should only cost couple hundred. Not saying you think that but most times this is the case.

Which suburb in Melbourne?

I run my own kitchen business and the reason why these jobs don't appeal to me is that the cost involved is simply not worth it. With jobs like these customer assumes the whole job should only cost $500 and when you give them a quote for $2k they look at you funny.

It's not because it's a small job, it's because you waste too much time quoting and then not winning the job because the customer thought it should only cost couple hundred. Not saying you think that but most times this is the case.

Which suburb in Melbourne?

The house is in Chadstone. I understand what you are saying. That is why I wanted to get a feel for the effort involved so I know what to expect to spend.

Back