Changing sliding door in double brick building

Hi All

We have the unfortunate issue that the sliding door fitted in a unit can't be readily repaired.

The problem seems to be that they have been built in place and you can't get the sliding door out of the tracks.

Even if you manage to remove the sliding door (which we did in another unit some time back) the rollers they used are impossible to replace and at the time I had to go and find someone with the right wheels (with bearings) and a press to replace the roller in the caddy.

This door was even worse and absolutely impossible to pop out.

So we have decided to replace the whole door, sliding and fixed and frame.

To save some work I am going to leave the current frame in place and simply fit the new frame inside of the existing frame and then screw off to the old frame. We will fill the channels on the old frame with some wood to square of the old frame.

The old frame will then be covered up with aluminium angle the same colour as the new frame so in the end the new doors and fix panel will be smaller then the old ones but unless you were told should not notice any significant size difference..

Cost of the new door and trims and security door is $1200 delivered. We will install.

We are also doing a mini reno on the unit and have already replaced all the kitchen doors and end panels - $540

New sink - $127 (past tenant has damaged to counter top so will fit a single bowl double drainer in to replace the current single bowl single drainer - very limited space)

Repaint - $130

New basin and ceramic Cistern - $260

Various taps - $340 laundry and washing machine taps, basin mixer, bath spout and shower taps.

Blind - $120

So all up about $2500 with an pathetic increase of $30 pw but we will hardly touch this unit again for another 10+ years.

Previously we had renovated this unit some 13 years ago at which time we tiles the unit and fitted a new kitchen painted it but that was about it.

Last tenant was there for just over 7 years.

Cheers

If its like one I have removed you have to remove the kickplate at the door side 1st that you step on.
This lets you access the screws holding the fixed plane glass in place. Undo those and lift out the fixed glass section.
Now lift the sliding door and tilt outwards. May have to use a screwdriver to lift the roller on the bottom to stop it catching. It is a 2 person job.

Take door to window supplier and get new frame for the glass with normal rollers. The track itself should match but its worth checking.

What your describing sounds like it would end up like an abortion and a trip hazard as well.

If its like one I have removed you have to remove the kickplate at the door side 1st that you step on.
This lets you access the screws holding the fixed plane glass in place. Undo those and lift out the fixed glass section.
Now lift the sliding door and tilt outwards. May have to use a screwdriver to lift the roller on the bottom to stop it catching. It is a 2 person job.

Take door to window supplier and get new frame for the glass with normal rollers. The track itself should match but its worth checking.

What your describing sounds like it would end up like an abortion and a trip hazard as well.

What you describe is how they configure the doors now. Unfortunately this door does not conform to this approach.

We have had another of these doors completely apart as we were able to force the slider out of the frame but this one we can't budge.

The fixed door is simply screwed of top and bottom and is a very simple remove.

Re the trip hazard. It will increase the height of the threshold by about 30-40mm so it will be a deliberate step to enter or exit but still manageble. I have seen worse on new builds where they have marked differences in the heights internal to external.

Cheers

Back