changing the exterior

Hi

we are planning to get the house revaluated end of this year and wanted to get some ideas of what to do to the exterior of this house.

We don't want to spend more than 10k. We have thought about maybe changing the windows (white french?) and getting landscaping...maybe rendering the front only (can get it done by a good price by a close friend)?

what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 196
IMO if a valuer sees a $10k worth of work done to a $390k property they will probably value it at $400k. People know what is hiding underneath a coat of paint or render or how much a $2000k garden cost. It's up to you if you want that $10k in cash or spent on the property and converted to equity.

Real reno gains are made when purchasing properties under market value and carrying out the reno cheaper than someone else can do it for.

It's worth giving a facelift

Hi Altonz,

I think you were on the right track, but I don't believe you need to spend close to $10k.
Judging from the photo, it really would cost much to have the front of the house rendered, especially if it's friend rates. Let's say $1,000 max.
Then I'd look at basic landscaping. The grass looks poorly maintained. I would consider a low maintenance alternative eg bark and ferns.
This would cost say $2,000 max. Cheaper if you can do it yourself of course.
If you wanted to fence the front yard, it may be worth a think, this of course varies in price, depending on material.
Good luck.

The negative things that are most prominent to me when I look at this picture are:

1) Dead grass.
2) Garage being contrasting and lighter colour makes it stand out. Paint it and the fascia board above it a darker colour, maybe to match the roof colour.
3) The external blinds. Can they go?
4) The letterbox dates the rest of the house. Maybe even just changing the corroded-looking face plates with sparkling stainless steel ones would "perk it up" enough.
5) I think a nice low picket fence across the front would really "finish" it. (And obscure the condition of the grass a bit, if it's still not looking great.)

Hi

we are planning to get the house revaluated end of this year and wanted to get some ideas of what to do to the exterior of this house.

We don't want to spend more than 10k. We have thought about maybe changing the windows (white french?) and getting landscaping...maybe rendering the front only (can get it done by a good price by a close friend)?

what are your thoughts?

I would render it if you have a mate that can give you good rates. I think it will give it much better curb appeal.

Are the windows wood or aluminium? If they are wood then paint, if they are alu then I'd consider replacing but I don't think I'd do french. I'd probably just leave as is as they aren't too bad.

If the exterior blinds aren't being used then whip them off.

The garden shape isn't too bad just needs the grass to green up and maybe add some perenial hardy colour via some taller shrubs or some small trees.

Replace or paint garage door (not sure if you can paint them) and consider painting or high pressure cleaning the driveway.

Thank you so much everyone! All fantastic tips that we didn't think of before.

I don't know the material used for the windows and etc...i've only been to the house once. Will definitely look into it. Thanks heaps!

If we choose to render..what colour would you suggest?

Hi, the valuer most likely will not visit and may just do a desktop valuation.

A Jeremy, they don't know how much you've spent (or care).

I would render the front (warm grey or beige colour which may tie in better with the roof ?), paint the windows (black/white?). Just make sure you get the right primer so it lasts. A bit of fiddling with masking but worth the effort.

Render the letterbox to match. Your renderer mate might have some ideas of colours.

Paint the garage door (darker grey? or be bold and get a burnt brown which may tie in the roof colour better?).

Get on the net and look at colours. Dulux site is good for ideas. Look at exteriours or just google "exterior house colours".

Get rid of the shrubs and put some nice plnts (or none in the middle). Depends on the time you have. Returf.

That's a pretty cheap reno with good bang for your buck I think.:D

Hi, the valuer most likely will not visit and may just do a desktop valuation.

A Jeremy, they don't know how much you've spent (or care).

I would render the front (warm grey or beige colour which may tie in better with the roof ?), paint the windows (black/white?). Just make sure you get the right primer so it lasts. A bit of fiddling with masking but worth the effort.

Render the letterbox to match. Your renderer mate might have some ideas of colours.

Paint the garage door (darker grey? or be bold and get a burnt brown which may tie in the roof colour better?).

Get on the net and look at colours. Dulux site is good for ideas. Look at exteriours or just google "exterior house colours".

Get rid of the shrubs and put some nice plnts (or none in the middle). Depends on the time you have. Returf.

That's a pretty cheap reno with good bang for your buck I think.:D
Btw How long does re turfing usually take?

Back