Charged gst when shouldn't have...how to get back?

Has anyone been in the situation where they've been charged gst when the business they've purchased goods from isn't registered for gst?

This has only been realised through a mini-audit of our last BAS claim...we put in a claim for the gst we paid for some bathroom vanities from a bathroom supplies shop here in Adelaide, naturally when buying something like this you would automatically assume that gst would be applicable and so we didn't even give it a second thought or question it....until we got the call from the ATO saying that this business isn't registered for gst so they shouldn't have charged it and we can't claim it.

We're talking about $400 here so its not a huge amount but it just frustrates me that suddenly i've ended up paying $400 more than I had to and there is no way for me to get this back other than to ask the business (which i have and no response).

Anyone else experience this and if so, what did you do?

I feel like now everytime I go out to buy something, before paying I should get on the net to check if they're gst registered which seems ridiculous :mad:

Did the supplier actually charge you gst & issue a tax invoice or did you get an invoice and assume that you have been charged gst & claiming the credit where it didn't exist?

Yep, we got charged gst, issued an invoice indicating the gst amount on it as well which is why we claimed.

ATO says they can't get the money back for us and the best we can do is hope they reimburse if we ask...have already asked and no response. Just seems so unfair :mad:

You're probably right but still, ATO are fully aware of this business that has fraudulently charged gst but doesn't appear to give a damn....I bet if they digged a bit further they might find more inconsistencies with this business and if they've charged me gst, surely they've charged every other customer of theirs...surely thats gotta be worth looking into for them! Argghhh!

Back