Chat room netiquette

Most people at somersoft would not know me as I am relatively new here and have mainly been visiting the chat room.

Some members there are familiar with me through my active participation in stockcentral.

When I first went into the chat room here I noticed a marked difference between members rediness to answer specific questions compared to stock central . In the chat room there if you ask about a particular stock you will usually ( assuming anyone's there ) get several opinions about the wisdom of buying shares in xyz varying from the " do you know that three directors have been charged with insider trading? " to indepth T/A opinions .

Obviously the fact that no one knew me would have accounted for some reluctance but I soon realised that there were at least two other factors involved. Firstly there is a concern that someone might try and gazzump a deal and secondly , there is a lot more money at stake in buying a property c/w shares so people have to be responsible for their own decisions. The experienced members often respond with questions along the lines of " well see , how do you feel about the property? " . Initially annoying ( Oh B... I'm back in behavioural studies ) but after a few minutes reflection the wisdom of such an approach is obvious.

Last night the wisdom of the first point, of not discussing individual properties became obvious. I started talking about a house i had seen , which knowing the area , I felt was a good buy. Several members asked relevant questions but one member wanted to know where it was . Although I don't intend to buy it at this stage , if by some chance it was still available in about three months time I would be interested in it. I said no but this member wouldn't take no for an answer. Eventually the conversation moved on and later became more personal , I became rather annoyed ( I again apologise to the other people present for the way the conversation went , but I felt rather strongly about what was said ) and eventually left.

So what did this other member achieve. Unless his aim was to go around annoying me he didn't achieve much . Maybe this was his idea of fun.

What he did achieve was a promise to myself not to discuss specific properties unless I know the members in the chat room well. This I think is unfortunate.

Happy chatting see change

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi See Change

I guess unlike shares there is only one property. Wouldn't care if you bought some BHP shares as that doesn't stop me from buying some as well. But if you buy the property I have my eye on I have missed out! I think this causes a natural reluctance to disclose details especially to strangers. Even more so if they are rude strangers. I am with you See Change and i think any rational thinking investor on this forum would understand your need for privacy as well as a wish to discuss a possible deal.

Good luck!

GoAnna !
(aka Anna before she got real)

Reply: 1.1

Hopefully you will continue to come here as most people here ar every helpful. Just dont give out specific areas where you are looking, try to keep your questions re any property you are looking at rather general and you should be right,, also perhaps name names so others can be aware of who to lookout for in chat room ...
razanimation.gif

Reply: 1.2

It is interesting that it was by my disclosing some details in the chat room about a property that I received some good feedback which saved me making a big mistake. And the interesting things was that it was Anna who asked me where the property was. I told her offline, and then she warned me about the area.

I agree with See Change and Anna: don't disclose details publicly, and if you want to discuss them do so by using the private chat (whisper), and do so with people you trust.

Cheers
Apprentice Millionaire
(aka Jacques in the old forum)

Reply: 1.2.1

Thanks for the support.

I wasn't going to let one incident turn me away from a site which I wish I had discovered ten years ago ( even though it didn't exist). The book would have been fine !!

I don't want to disclose the name of the member myself , however if he feels he can justify his behavior he is free to do so here. I somehow doubt he will , but I may be wrong.

Reply: 1.2.1.1

Seechange,
Dont be a battler! I was asking you for very general info. You may not realise but a general response of 'Sydney' may mean Wollongong to Newcastle and Katoomba. 750k for your hovel may be a very good buy in Paddington, but not such a good buy in Maitland. You ask questions of people (and I didnt make you ask them) you will find the more specific they are the better the answers. As Jan says 'the buy of a lifetime comes up once a month' no deal is that good, and there are plenty of properties. I don't give a toss about individual's precious purchases and have no specific interest in you, believe it or not. Go ahead and be offended! Enjoy it!

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1

Hi Jeremy

First , I'm not Battler , I haven't been , and I never intend to be.

Secondly , I wasn't offended by you comments / questions about the house. I was slightly put out by your refusal to stop answering question about the location of the house when I told you I wasn't going to answer . I expect the others present found the whole interchange boring and repetitive. I did.

I was offended about your comments about my twelve year old daughter.

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1

I merely asked where your intended purchase was. The answer 'Sydney' really isnt very helpful at all. FYI the area generally regarded as 'Sydney' covers many environs and socio economic brackets.I would also suggest to you that purely to stop you buying a supposedly never to repeated bargain I would be unlikely to,or even able to, purchase every property for sale in the greater metropolitan area of Sydney, and to suggest I may do so is verging on the completely paranoid! Until I read your post I didn't even know you had a 12 year old daughter, but now I do I hope she is well. Thank you for sharing her with me.

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.1

A suggestion if I may.

I notice that you both have email addresses listed. Please use those for your continuing 'discussion' not the forum.

Have a nice day

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Thankyou Jeremy.

How about it See Change?

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Dear Anon

If I had your email I would reply to you rather than having to reply via here , which would have been my preferred method. Given the contents of Jeremys reply above and the emails he has sent me I can see no point in continuing with this discussion either here or via email with Jeremy. I have other things to do with my time and will make no further replies.

We obviously have different recollections of what was said. It is my opinion that he should have apologized for what he said while he is of the opinion that nothing he said was offensive.

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Let us all now move on.

Chat room net

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1.1.2

Yes I agree totally.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This e-mail and any attachment to it is intended only to be read or used by
the named addressee. It is confidential and may contain legally privileged
information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any