Cheap aluminium venetian blinds or vertical blinds?

I usually just get cheap aluminium venetian blinds from Blinds Warehouse, but I have to replace some blinds on sliding doors and my tenants are asking for vertical blinds. Price-wise they seem OK. But are they are durable as aluminium venetians?

I usually just get cheap aluminium venetian blinds from Blinds Warehouse, but I have to replace some blinds on sliding doors and my tenants are asking for vertical blinds. Price-wise they seem OK. But are they are durable as aluminium venetians?
Yes price wise they are comparable, however that is where the similarity ends. Verticals (albeit easy to install) can be problematic with children and/or pets who always seem manage getting themselves tangled up in (and consequently breaking) the chain/cord/threads that link each verticle strip together!!! :rolleyes:

venetians aren't good with kids either - they have a bad habit of catching them and bending them, or worse deliberatley bending them and running their hands up and down them to make that delightful noise. and nothign looks worse than a blind with a whole bunch of bent slats. And cleaning them is not easy either. plus they rust in wet areas

plus ventians are really not suited to sliding doors

MY clever little wife found a site that sells direct to the public, from the net, we got roman blinds and they were very reasonable, no i don't know their name or site, they are good and our experience was a happy one.

we have venetians in our apartment, i have never had good experiences with them and now is no different.

They never stay up straight, two sets are in a corner to each other and are busily bending the other set every time one goes up or down. The set over the sliding doors locking mechanism is busted and getting it to lock up is difficult.

The set in my last place in the bedroom again never stayed up and eventually lost the will to tilt as well.

I installed screens and romans in my last PPOR, with out a doubt the screens are the best from a maintance point of view because they don't need to 'lock' and don't have a a wind up mechanism like hollans.

Again i used an online place and found them very quick and the romans purchased from them actually worked unlike the ikea ones we chucked on some of the minor windows.

Yes price wise they are comparable, however that is where the similarity ends. Verticals (albeit easy to install) can be problematic with children and/or pets who always seem manage getting themselves tangled up in (and consequently breaking) the chain/cord/threads that link each verticle strip together!!! :rolleyes:

Most vertical blinds I have seen nowdays don't have chains linking them. Plus you can just replace a couple of strips rather then the entire thing.

Most vertical blinds I have seen nowdays don't have chains linking them. Plus you can just replace a couple of strips rather then the entire thing.
Yes...so it seems!!! Yippee!!! :D

After just returning from a relaxing couple of weeks in the tropics I've come back to a message from one of my PMs informing me that the verticals on one of the sliding doors needs replacing!! So I will definitely be looking into these (no-links type verticals) for myself in the next few weeks.

I know only too well the pain in the a$$ verticals can be around kids and/or pets!!! :(

venetians aren't good with kids either - they have a bad habit of catching them and bending them, or worse deliberatley bending them and running their hands up and down them to make that delightful noise. and nothign looks worse than a blind with a whole bunch of bent slats. And cleaning them is not easy either. plus they rust in wet areas

I think timber venetians are pretty good, and you can buy for a fiver a great cleaning brush for it. (It is like a hand with about 5 fingers, with hardly any gap in it. You slide it inside and run along the blinds. Quite easy. But when you have to do this in each room, it does take a bit of time.

Cheers,

F

The newest verticals in the display homes are about 500wide but I am not mad about the look of them. Have had cheap wooden venetians in a renter for years and never had any trouble, but the cheaper aluminium ones seem to bend

I have wooden venetians and hate them! They cost me a fair bit about 7 years ago and they have all warped and looked horrible. Am looking at replacing then with something more durable now. Am thinking roller blinds (think they're also known as Holland blinds)

We have one wooden, one plastic and one metal venetian. Everywhere else we have just curtains.

The wood one is from Ikea ($35), the plastic one from Spotlight ($18) and the metal one from either Kmart or BigW ($8 - on special). All around the same size. We'll see how they go ... the wooden one seems extremely fragile. I like the look of the EcoWood ones (venetians with very thick, wide wood-look PVC blades) but we were after cheap and nasty. I'd get EcoWood or similar chunky PVC blinds for the new house but I think they'd be best on windows that don't go all the way to the floor.

Inexpensive blinds

I had thin aluminium blinds in the house when I moved in and they were in a pretty disgusting state. We had them cleaned in one day by guys who collected in the morning, cleaned (as far as I recall) by putting them in tanks and zapping them with something, and back they came in the arvo. I can't remember the name (shouldn't be hard to find in yellow pages), but the service was excellent, taking them down and putting them up too. The results were brilliant, far beyond my meagre expectations

We pull them right up every day so we have full views from the house to trees and given they came with the house, I reckon they have done well. As an inexpensive option they have a lot going for them.

Aluminium Blinds are much more durable than vertical blind. But if you go for style and flair , then go for vertical blinds. So choice is yours. But I will prefer wooden blinds more than aluminium blinds as wooden blinds are much easier to clean. But aluminium blinds would be easier to roll up.

But if you go for style and flair , then go for vertical blinds.

]

Things must be different in the US. Here we find Verticals a remnant of the 80's and 90's - not a period often described with words like style and flair ....

But I am guessing this first post is more about getting your url in front of a prospective buyer ?

Blinds

Go to spot light for cheap verticals in large width peices. They look good, don't tangle and come in natural textured fabric. Buy extra panels for easy replacement.

Back