Cheap but good enough areas in Brisbane.

Southsiders don't know about the great food on the northside cos you have to live here to discover it.....they aren't franchises with gauche advertising, you see :p

My Favs:
Citron, Wilston
E'cco Bistro, City
Piccolo, Ascot
Mariosarti, Toowong
Herveys, New Farm
Brents, Toowong
Sonomas, Sandgate
Raphaels, Sandgate
Watt, New Farm
Continental, New Farm
Sitar, Albion (the best of the Sitars)
Pam's Cafe, Secret Spot

great list WW...

might i also add -
Mario's at the dining room - Hendra
Lotus Room - Enoggera (feral decor but awesome food)
Two Small Rooms - Auchenflower (?? i think its auch. there)
Morgans - on the Peninsula
La Dolce Vita - Milton
Gambaros - Paddo
Urban Bites - wilston
Rangla Punjab - McDowall

hehe. this is sooooooooo off topic now.

but to bring it back - Banyo, Everton Park an Albany Creek are three suburbs where in my opinion you can still get a lot of house for your money (and still have houses under 400k) and are three areas that i can see doing well over the long term.

I have to agree with you there Sue the north side is a culinary wasteland..:D

I think you guys are forgeting the city is north of the river ;)
How about New Farm, the valley, milton, padington, breaky creek... then out in the suburbs there are restaurants in Wilston, Albion, Mitchleton, Chermside.

I've also found that for the same km's outside of the cbd the northside house prices are cheaper than the south side.

I've also found that for the same km's outside of the cbd the northside house prices are cheaper than the south side.

Of course they are - no one wants them, it's called supply and demand.

Ever tried driving around on the North side?

Of course they are - no one wants them, it's called supply and demand.

Ever tried driving around on the North side?

My comment was a bit general..
But if you follow the Ferny Grove train line north and compare it to the Beenleigh train line south or Mt Gravatt busway south - I think the quality of living/houses/amenities are comparable, its just cheaper on the north side.

Northside is full of main roads :D.

Another good point for the north side - the traffic is better. If one main road has traffic, then use another.

Only way to drive into town from the south is on the M1, Story bridge or gateway.. all nightmares.

and of course old cleveland rd, wynnum rd and ipswch rd's are all shining beacons of transport effectiveness

at least from gympie road you take any of the east/west minors and jump across to a number of other options.

Let's just stop this silly comparison, and admit that ALL those roads can get congested at peak hour.

I always think it is funny how defensive we get in Brisbane about the different sides of the river. Reminds me of kindy kids :p.

For me, being able to pick up hubby from the city and do the round trip in 12 to 14 minutes using the SE freeway is fabulous. I am quite sure I could do the same if we lived an equivalent distance on the northside.

oh come on Wylie - it was just getting fun!!:p

i am certain someone was going to mention southsiders having two heads or something soon! HAHAHA...yes, so very kid-like!!:rolleyes:

you are right though there are good and bad parts both sides of the moat.

I am on the 13km ring in the northwest and i can get to the city in well under 20 minutes most days. i think a lot of it is just knowing your local roads and knowing how and when to travel, no matter where you are in town.

cheers
UC:D

Last edited:
I am on the 13km ring in the northwest and i can get to the city in well under 20 minutes most days. i think a lot of it is just knowing your local roads and knowing how and when to travel, no matter where you are in town.

Oh so its you doing 78kmh down my side street?!!

City Cat for the win !

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

Thats me making a ferry sound. Not very good imitation I know :eek:

Yeh I love the city cat also. If I want to go into the city from my house, its a 8 min walk down to the ferry wharf and than its a pleasurably 10 min ride on the ferry including a couple of stops. I hate driving into the city, besides the parking expanses is outrageous.

I didn't know that it was it was even inhabitable to live in those northern suburbs, I thoughts thats where people were banished to, never to be seen again...:D

Keep it going, guys - there's nothing I like more than a good old "north of the ditch" vs "south of the ditch" stoush! :D

We southsiders will win out, as usual! :p

Cheers
LynnH

Come on guys. There's cr@p areas both sides.

What they have in common is they are settled by people who have just moved up from down south. Anyone who has been here for any amount of time finds the better spots.

Check the interstate migration rate from NSW to QLd below. So it can be safely said, the cr@p areas have more of the interstate migrants, primarily from NSW, and less so from SA and Vic.

Net Interstate Migration

For the year ended 31 March 2008, Queensland experienced the highest positive net interstate migration with a gain of 24,300 persons. Other states and territories that experienced positive net interstate migration were Western Australia (4,000 persons), the Northern Territory (850 persons), Tasmania (520 persons) and the Australian Capital Territory (190 persons). Negative net interstate migration was experienced by New South Wales (23,300 persons), South Australia (4,100 persons) and Victoria (2,400 persons). Interstate migration, Arrivals, Departures and Net - States and territories - Year ended 31 March 2008.

0.2F7C%21OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

Ah, a Brisbane thread. Northside is full of windy, weird-a## roads. I can easily get lost Northside. :)

As for good eats:

On Eagle St:
* Cha Cha Char
* Il Centro
* Jade Buddha

* Wagamammas in Wintergarden
* Norman Hotel at 'gabba
* Spring Lake Hotel at Springfield
* Plough Inn at South Bank

Back