Check a property's coucnil rates

Am interested in a Brissie house on two lots, but don't know if the lots are titled separately.

Does anyone know how to check this on the web?

Hiya P. Got lost in PD Online last night and couldn't find anything about rates.
Amazing what it has nowadays.

We were able to get full architects submissions and council approvals for a reno on a place we inspected yesterday. The current owners weren't able to do the full reno cos of council adjustments to plans, so should give us some argy bargey elbow room re offer.

WW, usually if a house sits on 2 lots, then there is one title. Also, the property would be listed with, and rated by, the council as a single lot. Further, you will find that there is only one sewerage connection, and one water connection. Should you want to go down the path of splitting, you can apply for 2 titles to be isssued at the time of transfer to you, and then you will have to apply, and pay for, the council to install the second service connections. Additionally you will have to apply for the second electricity and telephone connection. Once you have those, I believe you can then apply to council or a private certifier for approval to remove the home, if not in a Demolition Control Precinct, and the house was built after 1946, and then to build 2 new homes. If you dont want to go down the 2 lot path, the home removal guidelines may still apply to a remove/rebuild sinario.
Hope that helps
Cheers

thanks Peter. all makes sense. I wasn't sure if a house could straddle two lots that might have been previously titled separately. This house straddles.

I have a friend in Sutton St, Chelmer who have to fork out rates x 2, and afaik, there's only been one house there for the last 40 years.

Should you want to go down the path of splitting, you can apply for 2 titles to be isssued at the time of transfer to you, and then you will have to apply, and pay for, the council to install the second service connections. Additionally you will have to apply for the second electricity and telephone connection.
We split our block (one title to two) and we absolutely had to do the water connections before they'd let us deposit the plan but the electricity and phone connections aren't needed until there's a second house on there. I'd say splitting two lots into two titles (if the house doesn't straddle) you might not even need the new water connections. Its not the council that installs the connections - on a subdivision (which this is not) the council can tell you you need to move existing connections or get water connections etc before you deposit the plan but you have to organise those with the relevant utilities.

Rump, I think you have misread the original thread. It sounds like you subdivided, where as this is an original subdivision. The impacts are, the services required at the original subdivision, no longer apply. Anyway, having the option is good value in my opinion. Good luck.

Back