Check this one out :)

I did a search with the criteria - 4br, SA, $70-130k. About 6 properties came up, this one was the most interesting. Not in my area and not somewhere I've considered moving too, but ... interesting:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=105456895

Its near Berri.

Isn't the decor just so ... so .... retro!

Its my birthday in 2 weeks, if anyone with more money than sense wants to buy it for me for a pressie I'm fine with that :D

Good footy team in Barmera.
The entire riverland region is nice, hit the river for a wakeboard, hit the pub for a beer. Then go back to the vineyard.
Renmark even has a McDonalds now.

Oh, those links always vanish after a few months. Its the nature of re.com.au. But they're there now :p

By the way, any reason for choosing Barmera?
The reason is in the first post - I'm looking for a 4br house in SA under $130k, although I might be able to stretch to $150k I'd prefer not to. That one just happened to come up (there were only about 6 properties) - I wouldn't buy it because it is too far from where I live now, it just struck me as 'interesting'.

Apparently it is bloody impossible to find a cheap 4br house in this state, unfortunately. That other one you posted has 3 bedrooms, not 4, and I don't qualify for any affordable housing schemes because I'm stuck with a second property I don't want/need/couldn't sell.

Yup, don't touch the ones under 200 people. You need to go to at least 1000 people to get broadband, a hospital, that kind of thing.

For this one I'm not looking as an investment, I'd currently give anything for a 4br house in that price range but they are so few and far between it is ridiculous. Other half's response is pretty standard - "but it's Snowtown ... what's in Snowtown?" Answer being "nfc but its only 140km to Adelaide and its damn cheap". We're 220km to Adelaide and it is much, much more expensive here. I think those barrels have a lot to answer for in real estate prices ...

hmmmm, citeria expanded to include 1000 people?

hmmmm, I'm afraid to touch anything below 10,000 people,
LOL - I had the same thought. "don't touch the ones under 200 people" - I didn't know that anybody would. :D

I am cautious below 200 THOUSAND! ;)

In SA there's 1 town over 200,000 and maybe 2 or 3 over 20,000. Not many over 5,000, and a helluvalot under 2000. I'm sure the figures are even worse in Tasmania because the entire state is around 200,000.

Lets put it this way - I'm in a town with insane rental prices, crazy capital growth, zero rental vacancy, ridiculous instant equity if you build and you interstate folks wouldn't touch it with a bargepole because its under 2000 people on the last census and the Google Streetview shows a lot of vacant land. All that vacant land has big expensive housing on it now.

Turns out Snowtown has no broadband (550 people only) so that gets scratched off the list. Which leaves my "houses of interest" at a list of 1 - a 4br house that has been for sale "forever" (the agent's words) in a town with ADSL. Population 700 ... might be able to haggle that one down to $90,000 if the other half is down with that ... its positively geared too. Nobody in their right mind would buy a positively geared regional so this one has been listed for as long as I can remember.

In SA there's 1 town over 200,000 and maybe 2 or 3 over 20,000. Not many over 5,000, and a helluvalot under 2000. I'm sure the figures are even worse in Tasmania because the entire state is around 200,000.

hmmm, if it's the case, maybe it's okay to go ahead, i think~

When I was born, in a town of 25,000 people, it was the second biggest town in SA!

Think its down to 3rd or 4th now, Gawler and Mt Gambier are creeping past that 25k limit nowadays.

Back