Check this unique rental advertisement

Found this while browsing for ideas and properties:

I like the way this person thinks!

3 BEDROOM OLD STYLE HOME. LARGE LOUNGE COUNTRY STYLE KITCHEN LARGE BACKYARD
WELL MAINTAINED GARDEN (GARDINER OPTIONAL) YES! YOU CAN BRING YOUR DOG OR
CAT AND PUT UP A FENCE IF YOU WISH! YOU CAN RENOVATE OR PAINT AS MUCH AS YOU
LIKE! AVAILABLE NOW!

Pets allowed: YES Available: 27/03/2002 CENTURY 21 City Southside
<a target=_new href="<http://www.century21.com.au/citysouthside>"><http://www.century21.com.au/citysouthside></a> Phone: (08) 8277 8888 - Email Us
<mailto:[email protected]?subject=Rental Inquiry RE: Property NO. SA138029>

Duncan,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Must be a bit of a dog of a house, Duncan, if he is willing to let the tenants loose with a paintbrush and renovations! Personally, I wouldn't let my tenants do any of the above as their idea of a good job is probably very different from mine! (I just have to look at the badly peeling cornices in one of my houses to realize this- some idiot used the wrong paint!)

As for the fence, well, from a tenant's point of view, I'd look for a place that already has one. What tenant in their right mind is going to fund a fence?

Still, 100 points to the landlord for creativity- at least he/she is thinking outside the square!
Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 1.1

I agree, its probably a dog, but what a great way of ensuring holding income until such time as its renoed or bulldozed! :)

Duncan.

Reply: 1.2

We just rented property and the new tenants paid for and erected a very solid (spotted gum) timber fence. They were only to happy to do it as the wife looks after small children through the day and the property is river front.

Not all tenants are useless when it comes to hammer and nails and paint etc

Reply: 1.2.1

Well that's true Ron. I would just want to know exactly what it is that they are doing and how. I didn't mean to put all tenants down here. After all, I was one in several properties for many years! It's just that some people can actually devalue your property by "renovating" on the cheap. It always pays to keep an open mind, but protect your interests as well.
Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 1.2.1.1

I'm guilty of letting tenants do things to the property they are living in. Most of the time its ok. Across the board and in the full scheme of things, you dont know what they have really done until you inspect the property yourself.

Property managers are ok most of the time, but you get an agency that has 2 plus changes of property managers ( fairly common practice), and really, they dont know what was there in your house in the first place.

Tenant: Inspection time " No dear prop manager, that hole in the wall was there when I moved in, you girls mustnt have noted it down"
Property Manager: Oh bother, what do I do? its not my problem, it happened before I got here.

Its all pretty easy fixed, its annoying, but fixable.

I guess it also depends on how you run your landlording business.

R/T Example 1: TW Your tenant wants a concrete circular driveway and a double carport. They are willing to do this themselves they just need your ok.

TW: Hmmm...no. That all sounds like men and power tools and beer and noooo thankyou, i cant guarantee that they will do the job right, what if they did it wrong and concrete started to buckle? people could trip over it, i would have to get it ripped up...answer is no.

Will I get it done at my own expense by professionals? not unless I am going to sell the property and I want to tart it up a bit, untill then, the answer is no.

Example 2: TW tenant wants to know if she can build small side fences to keep children from roaming around the front yard ( which was fenced)and enclose the veranda.

TW: Hmmm..no she cant, but I will get a professional in to do it for her. My thinking is, this particular house always appeals to families, and I can charge a slightly higher rent next time around, its not greatly detracting from my cashflow to pay for this and it is improving my tenants longevity.

Example 3: I do a surprise inspection of a property being made ready for the next tenants, I am surprised to see all new security doors and screens, I ask property manager, she didnt realise the doors and screens where new ( typical), seems to be the last tenant was in the security door industry, and wanted to make himself feel safer? I dunno....nice screens though.

TW
~Life is a daring adventure, or nothing at all~

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1

I've got a young hunky Canadian in one of mine at the moment who is landscaping the whole garden, complete with trailer loads of topsoil, plants etc. Yay!!!

Painting etc is a bit different though - friends of mine supplied paint when the tenants offered to paint the whole interior. Amazingly they painted AROUND the curtains. Obviously too much trouble to lift the curtain rails off the brackets!

Reply: 1.2.1.1.1.1

I bet you do a drive by every weekend MB....

Just to check on progress...;-)

Cheers
Watto
Melb Freestyler

Back