Chemotherapy for dogs.

Has anyone had any experience with this exercise?

My little girl has just had a mast cell tumor removed but a biopsy on the lymph node which was taken shows the cancer has spread. The vet offers chemo but I'm reluctant to go this way.

The dog is 12 years old and had another tumor removed two years ago. Chemo is an expensive process, of course and I generally don't like heroic efforts to delay the inevitable in dogs.

I am in a quandary. Do I do it or not?

Has anyone had any experience with this exercise?

My little girl has just had a mast cell tumor removed but a biopsy on the lymph node which was taken shows the cancer has spread. The vet offers chemo but I'm reluctant to go this way.

The dog is 12 years old and had another tumor removed two years ago. Chemo is an expensive process, of course and I generally don't like heroic efforts to delay the inevitable in dogs.

I am in a quandary. Do I do it or not?
Hard call to make,and at that age sometimes it's better just too let the vet finish it off in a painless way,because sometimes from experience you suffer more when you see the dogs slowly slip away,good luck with it..

Years ago my mother's dog had virilent mouth cancer ... the vet offer chemo but he admited that he had never seen it work.

Don't know if technology has improved - or whether it was just the type of cancer - but I'd have a serious heart to heart with the vet and find out whether he believes it will actually work or not, or whether it is just something they offer because clients demand it.

Hard call to make for your loved one. I would imagine it is a very expensive process unless you have pet insurance that might off set some of the cost. It takes a huge toll when humans undergo chemo. Look at the pro's and con's, will it extend her life, or cure? Dependant on the primary of her cancer, it may not be curative. Humans take a long time and often feel worse from thier chemo treatment then thier cancer. Let us know what you decide. I feel for you, terrible time in making your choice.

Very true - I'm hoping I just wake up one morning to find out my (big and fluffy) 14 yr old baby has passed away quietly in the night on her super soft bed, which is right next to mine.

I would let her go. I think it's a personal decision though. The dog is suffering a lot more than it's letting on as a survival instinct as in the wild they get attacked by predators for showing a weakness. I think it's selfish to keep an animal alive when they are suffering. I know my husband would have the opposite opinion and consider that you should try all avenues before giving up.
cancer had gotten her and she wouldn't try any more therapies, in hindsight, I think that was a good plan.

I wouldn't do the chemo. I would accept it and not let the animal suffer further.

Last edited:
Back