Cherrybrook and Castle Hill help

I've just stumbled across this forum in my quest for info regarding these suburbs and was hoping to pick the brains of those of you with experience around here.

My husband and I are currently paying off and outgrowing a 2 bedroom semi in the Inner West. With a very active 3 year old and a 6 month old we're looking to move to a larger home with more yard space than we currently have now.

We're drawn to the Hills District as my husband grew up in Quakers Hill and we don't want to be that far out, and we like the leafy, bushy suburbs. Our budget would be $750k to low 800s, and we're probably leaning more to Cherrybrook as we've heard good things about the schools there.

So my main questions are:
Could you get a reasonable house in Cherrybrook in that price range?
Which areas of Castle Hill have a similar feel to Cherrybrook in terms of bush outlook and surroundings?
Any other suburb suggestions in that price range? Our main criteria is preferably 4 bedroom, but will take 3 for the right place, bush or leafy surroundings and close to good public schools, both primary and secondary. Thanks very much.

Have you thought about areas closer to the Parra Rivver like Dundas/Ermington?
Good schools along the Northern Line (Eastwood+)

I'd have a look at North Rocks/Carlingford. The price/condition/age does vary in those areas but they have do have some great solid houses which you could update which are in are leafy areas, close to M2. Good schools are Murray farm public school or North Rocks primary which has an opportunity class, Christ the king etc
High schools you have Carlingford high school, Cheltenham girls, Pennant Hills high, Baulkham Hills high & James ruse which are selective.
Later if you wanted to sell, a renovated house in these areas always seems to go for a good price IMHO

I've just stumbled across this forum in my quest for info regarding these suburbs and was hoping to pick the brains of those of you with experience around here.

My husband and I are currently paying off and outgrowing a 2 bedroom semi in the Inner West. With a very active 3 year old and a 6 month old we're looking to move to a larger home with more yard space than we currently have now.

We're drawn to the Hills District as my husband grew up in Quakers Hill and we don't want to be that far out, and we like the leafy, bushy suburbs. Our budget would be $750k to low 800s, and we're probably leaning more to Cherrybrook as we've heard good things about the schools there.

Hi Pink and welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place as there are a few of us Hills residents here :D I've also bought for a more than a few clients now :rolleyes: in this part of the world and know it very well. It certainly is a great area for raising littlies and has a lot to offer compared to other suburbs for value for money. The biggest bugbear is the lack of rail transport but, much like the northern beaches, those of us who put up with the buses instead consider it a fair trade off for the lifestyle we enjoy. Don't forget that the NW rail link is also in progress and will definitely impact this area for future growth. See here for more information and updates on this:
http://northwestrail.com.au/ Demolition in underway and tunnelling is scheduled to begin 2014.

So my main questions are:
Could you get a reasonable house in Cherrybrook in that price range?

Yes, though if you're not familiar with the area you will suffer from initial excitement at what you "find" on realestate and Domain, only to be disappointed in reality, as the cheapies in this suburb are affected by the presence of large high tension power lines and stauncheons very close by. Ideally map out (using street directory is the easiest) those addresses that are within 100m if you are like the majority of buyers and want to bypass these.

Your budget is certainly doable, however, though it will depend on your individual level of "fussiness"!

Which areas of Castle Hill have a similar feel to Cherrybrook in terms of bush outlook and surroundings?
Any other suburb suggestions in that price range? Our main criteria is preferably 4 bedroom, but will take 3 for the right place, bush or leafy surroundings and close to good public schools, both primary and secondary. Thanks very much.

Surrounding Castle Hill, West Pennant Hills, Baulkham Hills all have pockets that will suit your criteria and budget. Also consider the suburbs on the north side that you might like- Pennant Hills, Thornleigh, Westleigh.

As for schools, it really depends on your definition of "good"- are you after public or private?

Wow, thanks for the responses guys!

Samyip, we hadn't considered those areas, I had a quick look on Domain and the style of house isn't quite what we're looking for, but its certainly worth doing a drive through of the area to check it out.

Chic, we have looked a little at North Rocks/Carlingford before, but not in detail. Although we both have cars, what are the public transport options? And where are the nearest shops?

Jacque, thanks for your detailed info. We've looked a little at the true north suburbs, Westleigh etc. but keep coming back to the north west as its more convinient for going to and from the in laws who are still out at Quakers. With regards to schools obviously I know that schools can change, and ones with good reps can go bad, or bad ones can get better. I'd be looking at public schools with good reputation ideally, certainly for primary anyway, and maybe private for secondary. I will take on board your suggestion of plotting the power lines, it would certainly explain some of the attractive looking places with a lower price. Which areas of Castle Hill would you consider more suitable than others?

Public Schools

Hiya

FYI this year's top student for the entire NSW state for the Opportunity Class (Yr 5) is coming to my children's primary school: Beecroft Public School.....

(but this might be useless information for some :eek:)

I used to live at West Pennant Hills. My children went to Murray farm public school which we were very happy with. Highs Road & Oakes road were a bit of a nightmare though in the morning and afternoons and in some areas of West Pennant hills and Carlingford you can have power lines too. Also I would be careful as in some areas close to the M2 you do get alot of M2 noise. I worked in the city and could jump on the M2 bus at Oakes road & be in there in 40 mins. Sometimes I would catch the m2 bus from north rocks which was ok too. When my marriage ended I did put a deposit on a house at North Rocks but backed out due to the unfavourable building report which was mainly due to the extensive termite damage and activity. Not sure about other transport around North Rocks though, but pretty sure there is a bus that goes to Parramatta. Shopping was at North Rocks shopping centre, Carlingford court or Castle towers. I fell in love with a home at Castle hill in the New England estate but couldn't afford it :(
I live at Baulkham Hills now, in the Crestwood area on a large leafy block. Lots of schools around me but I'm not sure what they are like. One good thing about where I live now is there a few different directions you can travel to get out of the area, with West Pennant Hills it seemed there was only one way in and one way out! I'd recommend Baulkham Hills too, I lived here when I was first married and loved it then. Around me there are lots of parks, walking tracks etc. Maybe someone can comment on the schools around here?

Jacque, thanks for your detailed info. We've looked a little at the true north suburbs, Westleigh etc. but keep coming back to the north west as its more convinient for going to and from the in laws who are still out at Quakers. With regards to schools obviously I know that schools can change, and ones with good reps can go bad, or bad ones can get better. I'd be looking at public schools with good reputation ideally, certainly for primary anyway, and maybe private for secondary. I will take on board your suggestion of plotting the power lines, it would certainly explain some of the attractive looking places with a lower price. Which areas of Castle Hill would you consider more suitable than others?

There are plenty of good primary schools to select from eg: Matthew Pearce Public (B/Hills) is very sought after, as is Samuel Gilbert Public (Knightsbridge area, C/Hill) - it's really a case of checking the schools out for yourself and understanding what is most important to you as a parent. It's my opinion only (and please note this) but as an ex-teacher myself, I believe that some parents are so bent on getting their chn into those schools that score highly academically on the MySchools website that education of the whole child isn't always taken into account. A well-resourced school can assist a child, however at the end of the day it's up to the child and their level of motivation, as well as individual teachers. A school's "rating" may also be skewed by so many factors that one shouldn't necessarily rely on the statistics alone. There is much to consider.

Castle Hill and B/Hills are large suburbs- it's impossible to chart all my favourite pockets but when your search begins come on again and ask then :D Happy hunting!

I believe that some parents are so bent on getting their chn into those schools that score highly academically on the MySchools website that education of the whole child isn't always taken into account.
Child and parents also need to fit well with the school culture. For example, I don't think our kids ever be comfortable in James Ruse... :p

There are plenty of good primary schools to select from eg: Matthew Pearce Public (B/Hills) is very sought after, as is Samuel Gilbert Public (Knightsbridge area, C/Hill) - it's really a case of checking the schools out for yourself and understanding what is most important to you as a parent. It's my opinion only (and please note this) but as an ex-teacher myself, I believe that some parents are so bent on getting their chn into those schools that score highly academically on the MySchools website that education of the whole child isn't always taken into account. A well-resourced school can assist a child, however at the end of the day it's up to the child and their level of motivation, as well as individual teachers. A school's "rating" may also be skewed by so many factors that one shouldn't necessarily rely on the statistics alone. There is much to consider.

Castle Hill and B/Hills are large suburbs- it's impossible to chart all my favourite pockets but when your search begins come on again and ask then :D Happy hunting!

Agree, Jacque. My children were not high achievers but they enjoyed school and that is half the battle. I wouldnt choose a school only because it has a "good name" There are lots of factors to consider. My two oldest children attended Muirfield High School which when I sent them there initially, didnt have a very good "name" at all. They loved it though, it suited them, they did well there and are both at uni now. The youngest who is still at high school is happy to go everyday but not motivated academically at all.......fingers crossed it changes soon!

Child and parents also need to fit well with the school culture. For example, I don't think our kids ever be comfortable in James Ruse... :p

Isn't that comment interesting?

A few years ago, i had 2 friends' sons who entered James Ruse High (supposedly the most academically selective school in NSW) and Epping Boys High ....one mum was overjoyed (you see... it is all about reflected glory:p) and the other mum was "ashamed":eek:

6 years later, i tracked their progress...the son who went to JR languished as emotionally he could not keep up with the rigour...confidence went down the drain and he grew into his teens pretty much insecure....HSC came and went and he got a low 90 score...ended up doing a Bach of Communication ...other child was pretty much always among the top in Epping Boys and was given pretty much all the leadership roles and external courses representing the school...HSC score near 98:eek: ended up doing a combined law and economics

What does this story tell us? Something about short term vs long term i suspect??:p

I went to Cherrybrook Tech (graduated in early 2000’s - wow feel so old now :p).
I was a good student until year 11-12 when I decided I liked to “party” with some wilder peers, whilst my friends knuckled down to study.
I personally scored 71 UAI whilst a number of my friends scored in the high 90’s.
Fast forward to present day, those social skills I developed whilst partying have gotten me and those guys I partied with significantly further (income, investment, mindset, confidence, friendship, family and ambition wise) than my friends who studied hard and lacked confidence, almost double-triple their income with others starting very successful businesses.
School has a very small part to do with future success. More to do with personal drive and ability to handle pressure be an independent thinker IMO. Tho I suppose on average, those that went to Cherrybrook Tech did fairly better on average than those who went to my old high school in Blacktown.

Hi Pink and welcome - from another Cherrybrook local !

Love the area, the schools, the community feel ... the traffic out is my only bugbear but I gave up complaining many moons ago. Have a different CD in my car every morning and it's fine. The ride home is easier for sure.
Last of our 3 kids finished from Cherrybrook Tech this year and it's a fine school. All of them have done well academically and are also pretty well rounded.

You should be able to score something within your budget. We had a 4 bedder sell on our street for $700 k, it needed about $50k worth of work though to bring it up to scratch.

Good luck and am sure it will work out well for you :)

Hi. We moved from Cremorne to West Pennant Hills. I don't know what the inner west is like. Maybe its very quiet also.

For us, while the Hills is nice enough we have found it amazingly boring and the people are completely different to the northern beaches. There is no beach here so lifestyle wise its not the same. Our neighbour has a $1.5 million mcmansion. Why he would live here when you can afford a house near the beaches I just do not know. After a year and half here we are moving back to Cremorne

Don't get me wrong its a lovely safe area and the kids here seem great but its a different demographic. If someone told me what i am saying now a year ago I would have told them they were nuts but this is what we have found. Most people here are in their own world. They don't want to chat. They have their big mcmansion and that's it. Head down in the park. Maybe a few words. But making friends here is big time difficult. At first I thought it was me ;-)

Am sure lots of people will disagree. And don't listen to what I say either. But if you're thinking of buying here at least try to spend a good few days here and see what you think.

West Pennant Hills can feel a bit isolated particularly in the valley. Comparing it with Cremorne is a bit like chalk and cheese as the median is about 30% less. People from the lower north shore usually aren't happy anywhere else but the north shore.

West Pennant Hills can feel a bit isolated particularly in the valley. Comparing it with Cremorne is a bit like chalk and cheese as the median is about 30% less. People from the lower north shore usually aren't happy anywhere else but the north shore.

You could say that about most areas - i.e. eastern suburbs, northern beaches, shire, etc.

Back