Child killed in Police Pursuit - do we stop pursuits - or increase penalties?

Put an end to car chases by banning cars ;)

I have never seen (or heard of) an accident occasioning death where a cyclist has ploughed through a fence and hit an innocent person in their own property.

they run because they are being chased. if you stop chasing them - they will stop running. it strange that your idea of standing up for the victims is to create more of them, when poorly trained cops turn our streets into GTA

Boy oh boy, the progressives just can't help themselves to a bit of cop bashing.

This whole forum has turned for the worst last few years with this insidious notion that the majority seem to be the ones to blame for anything bad that happens, and minority can't do a thing wrong.

Unbelievable people, get a grip, get out of the house, live your lives with some humour, love and a big shot of common sense and stop trying to become the next best thing by thinking backwards.

Part of me feels sorry for the driver (still think he needs to be locked up for life). His mum died in his mid teens and he had little family support.

I hope some of the lessons from this tragedy includes more support for vulnerable kids so they dont end up like this.

Part of me feels sorry for the driver (still think he needs to be locked up for life). His mum died in his mid teens and he had little family support.

I hope some of the lessons from this tragedy includes more support for vulnerable kids so they dont end up like this.

If he is found guilty, and locked up, I doubt he will serve more than 2 years

how many times does it have to be shown that harsher punishment is not a deterrent to crime?

That doesn't mean that there aren't some people that maybe should be incarcerated for a bit longer.

Or that for the most extreme of criminals that we shouldn't look at going further.

how many times does it have to be shown that harsher punishment is not a deterrent to crime?
Show one executee who ever reoffended after the carrying out of the sentence

prison as punishment
minimum standard to maintain life,
and damn hard work while you are there
no tv gym pool conjugal-visit internet telephone
No time off for good behaviour,
exemplary behaviour is the minimum requrement
Time added for anything less than perfect behaviour
non-criminals arent rewarded for behaving

At times, an outside perspective can be valued. Clearly a $300 fine does not satisfy a balanced community's expectations.

Then the community should either get a lot more educated, or simply leave the sentencing to the experts.

Seriously, I don't try and tell other professionals what to do - but somehow everyone thinks they can do better than Magistrates/Judges?

magistrates as experts
obviously no need for supreme court/high court/federal court

the kindergartens of the judicial profession
the lowest ranking adjudicator who's decision is routinely appealed.

So out of touch with jurisprudence, as a group of cowboys?? that their decisions are ordered for them, yet they still try to evade the law and not order those minimum sentences

Its easy to understand why some may accept a level of incompetence.

I abhor mine own, and pity incompetence in others.

Then the community should either get a lot more educated, or simply leave the sentencing to the experts.

Seriously, I don't try and tell other professionals what to do - but somehow everyone thinks they can do better than Magistrates/Judges?

As previously posted thatbum.

Once again, a few cowboys in every occupation ruin it for the rest.

If someone is running from the law for something minor he may or may not have committed and he knows if he pulls up voluntarily he only gets a $300 fine he is more likely to pull over quicker.

If he knows he is going to get serious jail time no matter what he will do whatever he can do to evade,chances are he might just get away,just like trying to hold a wild cat.
This is when innocent people get hurt.

Maybe so, but I don't think we should treat all criminals in the same way.

First offence, well maybe you can rehabilitate them, like we do now.

Second offence, how bad is it? Are they able to be rehabilitated? Maybe give them the chance to prove they can.

Third offence.....sheesh, maybe there should be a place for these. Where it is a lot tougher because they obviously not able to be rehabilitated. Give them a longer sentence and keep them out of the way of the public.

Boy oh boy, the progressives just can't help themselves to a bit of cop bashing.

not sure who are these "progressives" you speak of, but every time we hear about innocent bystanders hurt by a speeding driver it's usually associated with a cop chase. i'd say 99%

so there is a clear link.

not sure who are these "progressives" you speak of, but every time we hear about innocent bystanders hurt by a speeding driver it's usually associated with a cop chase. i'd say 99%

How many times do we hear that the perpertrator is out on bail for some other crime (as is the case here I believe) - clear link there.

Maybe so, but I don't think we should treat all criminals in the same way.

First offence, well maybe you can rehabilitate them, like we do now.

Second offence, how bad is it? Are they able to be rehabilitated? Maybe give them the chance to prove they can.

Third offence.....sheesh, maybe there should be a place for these. Where it is a lot tougher because they obviously not able to be rehabilitated. Give them a longer sentence and keep them out of the way of the public.

The three strikes laws in I think California have proven to be a failure. People have been given life sentences for committing the heinous crimes of stealing food or socks etc simply because years prior they had committed 2 crimes.

It is a terrible law and I'm glad we don't have it hear. I absolutely agree that repeat violent offenders often need to have the book thrown at them but I'd rather the judges make that decision and not a blanket rule.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...ment-the-shame-of-three-strikes-laws-20130327

for sure, but why blame the cops?
Blame rests with the idiot criminal.

Progressive, leftist, all the same, blame the majority for the misfortunes of a few instead of getting the few to become more responsible for their own actions/situations.

All about control of the masses in total instead of controlling the criminal minority.

How many times do we hear that the perpertrator is out on bail for some other crime (as is the case here I believe) - clear link there.

Exactly.

That revolving door that magistrates allow, is the problem.

Depending on the circumstances, and the crime itself, maybe suspended sentence or probation is the best sentence.

How many chances should one person get?
There should never a person with a rap sheet a mile long..

No one is suggesting bring the 3 strikes rule.
Just have the criminals actually serve the sentence they are given.

I'd much rather have a criminal serve full sentence, and be released without conditions, than have someone serve a portion and be on probation.

Even when they violate their probation, nothing happens to them, in many cases.

Back