Chilling firestorm Video from Victoria bushfires

Came across this clip below yesterday...absolutely blew me away.....frightening sight and sounds...

Before starting:

- Turn up your speaker volume..watch the whole clip, its only 4 min or so....numbing to watch!

- Watch how fast this fire came from kms away..

- Be thankful it wasn't one of us in that nightmare fireball...

No wonder so many perished.

RIP those who were not so lucky!

Makes a donation to support those left to deal with this horrific situation...dont be a tight ar$e, a few bucks wont hurt anyone..

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-211954

If you don't think that's chilling, you have no imagination. Just imagine sitting on your porch and seeing that coming, realising it isnt going to stop and its coming your way. and its going to burn you and your house if you dont do something.

Interesting video, not exactly 'chilling' though.

Maybe instead of donations we should send CommInsure pamphlets for next time.

Your 2nd phrase regarding CommInsure is about as heartless as the dog that lit those fires champ!

I cant believe anyone would actually say what you wrote...

The tragedy is about lives lost and suffering my friend not the physical things that can be replaced be it with or without insurance, really has nothing to do with "offering a hand, be via a donation or first hand help.

Personal opinion of course..

Takes all sorts!

Knowing ianvestor, I suspect he was commenting on the use of the word "chilling" to describe a firestorm ;) It was a little amusing that you used that particular word. Terrifying, yes! But definitely not cold; quite the opposite!

I agree that the loss of life and inconvenience and heartbreak etc is far more devastating than the loss of material items. Insurance covers the losses that can be made good with cash, and with other losses, cash is useless, viz. what's the point of donating cash? :confused:

Over $100M has been donated now. That is over $100K per house lost (because we're talking about material items I'm not doing it per life). It seems that some of this money must go to help people who weren't insured, to cover insurable losses. If that's 20% of the people - because I pray at least 80% of people were responsible enough to have insurance - then those households could get up to $500K benefit each from these funds. :eek:

Any action that sends the message that it's OK not to have insurance is a bad thing, in my view. Giving further cash to bushfire appeals could easily be seen to fall in that category.

I'm devastated about these bushfires, particularly the massive loss of life. I just don't see how money helps. Insurance even covers emergency accommodation, and usually some instant cash for clothes etc following a total loss.

Agree with Tracey. It's a terrible tragedy, but I don't see how so much money is supposed to help. Govt. gave them cash instantly, most will have insurance, council/govt. buildings are insured - where is $100M going to?

My second line was simply pointing out that in my opinion anyone in need of a hand out was probably under-insured. Maybe under-insurance was somehow forced on them by society but maybe it was their careless decision making.

Yours Sincerely,
Heartless Tightar$e

On this morning's news, everyone that lost a house is to be given $10,000 immediately to cover the cost of accommodation and emergency items, those badly injured are to get an additional $7,500 to help with medical needs.

This is from the fund.

I personally know someone who is living in a bed and breakfast at the moment whose house burnt down in Wandong. She is insured but at this stage needs money to get to work, pay for her board and her urgent needs now.

Sitting here listening to the helipcopters going overhead and the smoke in the air, I don't begrudge one cent that any of them get, there but for the grace of god....

Just be glad its not you

Chris

Ianinvestor obviously has no idea of the impact this has, on the towns involved. Lovely communites and everyone knows someone who has died. So not one person is imune to the suffering. If money does anything it will ease this suffering so they can pick up the pieces just that much faster.

I have no idea where you live, but i bet it is in a concrete jungle somewhere miles from the bush, and don't know what it is like to live in a community spirited area like the places affected.
Thank goodness you are in the minority - as these people need help!!

I really feel for these people too but everday (a guess but probably true) someone's house burns down somewhere in Australia and they don't get these handouts. It is no less devestating to these individuals. The ones who are insured just claim it on their insurance and the ones that aren't, if they are lucky their neighbourhood or community will raise some money for them, but I bet nowhere near as much as the people in these Victorian communities are getting. And this would include individual fires where there is also loss of life.

It just seems that if an event is "newsworthy" the people affected get much more than when an event (every bit as bad) happens to an individual.

I hope the money raised is largely put to getting the community infrastructure back together again and not individual households ending up better off than they were before.

I would bet that in the weeks to come the CFA are back at the shopping centres trying to raise money with raffles etc to update their equipment. Wouldn't it be great if they get a big chuck of the donations!!

My second line was simply pointing out that in my opinion anyone in need of a hand out was probably under-insured. Maybe under-insurance was somehow forced on them by society but maybe it was their careless decision making.

Yours Sincerely,
Heartless Tightar$e

there is such a thing called a time and a place. no peoplehave been on tv begging for handouts, people are providing them out of good will - if you dont want to dont, but dont knock people whilst they are down (the fire victims), that's just plain rude.. especially when I am sure you are intelligent enough to know that it not even that simple

and ozperp, it was quite cleat r that the offence was taken (as stated) to the 2nd sentence about giving comminsure brochures instead of money, not the reference to the word chiling not being appropriate which was an obviou sjoke, a pretty **** one but obviously an attempt at one

Okay now I'm gonna puke.

-ht

It was by a kid you idiot.

come one man

And Petal... Yes, humans do tend to get toghether and help when things happen to lots of people, community or whatever spririt etc kicks in... and yes people "jump on bandwagons" whilst this is going on, completely normal daily human behaviour does not change.... nor does one thing nescesarily fix everything like CFA funding requirements, we are human, we never get everything perfect, so what to do - don't raise any money and amek sure no one gets any help ?

That video effected me...chilling, cold, lukewarm or not.

You can hear a cow mooing, and you see sparks of fire on the persons lawn just before he stops recording...

Sitting here in NSW, I am very, very lucky.

That video effected me...chilling, cold, lukewarm or not.

You can hear a cow mooing, and you see sparks of fire on the persons lawn just before he stops recording...

Sitting here in NSW, I am very, very lucky.

Actually, the footage goes on a whole heap more - was shown on TV, as well as an interview with the dude who took it.

Toward the end of the video posted above, fires start spotting on his lawn. He then decides things are getting a wee too hot, he finds his car on fire (I think the hose he was trying to hose the house down with melted, when the pumps died). He then runs into his concrete bunker (built into an embankment) and waits for the fire front to pass.

While he is waiting, the fires trace thru some electrical cabling into the bunker - and the dude describes a jet of flame like an oxy torch coming in through the hole.

Once the front had passed, he left the bunker and went around putting out fires in his house, but rather miraculously, it was relatively unharmed.

The Y-man

Back