China

Just back from a week in China. What an eye opener for even an open minded person from myself. There were some very interesting hours to say the least.

Flew into Guangzhou last Saturday. Something like 15 million people city. Reasonably clean I thought, and plenty of shopping, attractions etc. Went to a few close shops and there were seriously 10's of thousands of people in these centres. Went to one very shifty place with full on knock-off stock, and the spruiking salespeople at their very best with some English as their weapon of choice. Spent 2 nights there waiting for our whole business party to arrive from different parts of Australia and China.

Monday morning flew to Jinan. My goodness the smog was overwhelming. I didnt even see the runway until we hit it. First real eye-opener was the 1.5hr drive to Zibo. Lines on the road are only a guide to the driver, otherwise just free-for-all. Same with any traffic lights, only need obeying if the amount of cars at the intersecion warrent a total stoppage. The other intersting part of the drive was the contributing factor to the smog - 30km stretch of coal fired powerstations on both sides of the road. Truly amazing amounts of infrustructure.

Zibo was extremely smoggy, as they even had powerstations in the middle of the city. It has a modest 6 million people population, but seemed a little more spread out than Guangzhou with made it a little more bearable. The chinese have personal space invasion, much closer than say Aussies. I visited 4 factories over the course of the week, with some business negotiations and varying learning curves. It is very draining speaking broken english, and even more broken chinese! We had our Chinese interpreter on the job, but it is still very tiring trying to explain in a simple dialect.

Interesting facts learned over the week:

*Chinese people smoke a lot, and everywhere - airports, restraunts, hotels, elevators, shopping malls etc. Doesnt help a packet of 20 cigs costs approx RMB7, or about AUD$1.10.

*Outside a (ritzy) hotel, the toilet situation is not for the faint hearted. Whilst a 'squat' is bearable, at the factories in the middle of nowhere a couple of bricks hovering over a hole or a concrete slide into a pit is interesting (pity I couldnt bottle the smell to share the story)!

*Factory workers (where we visited) were paid on average about RMB300-400/month ($43-$57 month)

*Food - ouch! Being allergic to seafood limited many options. Some of the weird stuff I did try was donkey, roast dove, goat and some different types of roots. I had a few familiars like beef, pork and chicken, however that wasnt always an option. Ive had the hot sweats the last couple days (for those who know what that means lol). We passed on the sea urchins, most of the seafood and the field mice stew and rice offered by a factory owner (he didnt take offence thank God).

*Water - can be many different colours. Gross! Bottled water was usually freely available.

*Chinese tea. Wow, they love that stuff! Some we had was nice, but some was awefully putrid $h!t! But that is how deals are done, over a cuppa!

*Housing. Saw everything from completely homeless, to brick or iron shacks, right through to highrise developments in Zibo 20 buildings wide by 20 buildings deep by 30 odd story appartment blocks = 12000 apartments in 1 development.

*Nothing, NOTHING is wasted in China.

*Technology is very important to the Chinese people. Even copying something is considered innovative and an achievement. Dont get me wrong, there are things they are behind the times on, but they are very innovative all the same.

We had a great time outside of the factory visits and the business meetings. A few too many late nights (I dont drink, but we had to keep up with the others in the group) and early mornings, because no factories were in the city, they were 1-2hrs drive in differing directions. Im sure I will be back in the near future with everything discussed the past week, plus I learned a fair bit about some of the other places in China I might like to visit. Zibo and Jinan are not tourist destinations and I would never dream of taking the family there, but I hear Bejing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Guangzhou are fairly safe and touristy.

pinkboy.....nothing like Aussie soil and our way of life!:cool:

We went to China for a holiday a couple of years ago - was fantastic! The people are so friendly.

We went to the snow and ice festival held in Harbin each year. Was an amazing once in a lifetime type experience.

Ducks have tongues. Just check the menu.

If you order the snake soup and the waiter brings a wriggling bag to the table you know it's fresh but don't look in the bag.

Always honk at every intersection.

Only the wealthy can afford to wear pyjamas to market.

If it looks like it's snowing but it's 15 degrees outside its just fly ash from the local power station.

If you find a store you like, buy every thing you like because when you come back in two weeks time it will be be replaced with something completely random.

Lizard on a stick is fine as long as it is straight off the street vendors BBQ which is glowing red.

Cars without number plates are party officials. Leave them alone.

Children with holes cut into their trousers save on nappies.

If you aren't sure if it is the sun or the moon due to the smog and it's midday - its the sun.

Don't get drunk and open your mouth in the shower and drink the tap water. You will be immediately sober.

When people are doing maotai shots it's ok to toss it over your shoulder when no one is looking. Just make sure no one is sitting behind you.

It's ok to catch a taxi to work every day when it only costs $2.

Ducks have tongues. Just check the menu. Yep, saw that one!

If you order the snake soup and the waiter brings a wriggling bag to the table you know it's fresh but don't look in the bag.

Always honk at every intersection.
Yes, worked this out in the first few minutes of my journey!

Only the wealthy can afford to wear pyjamas to market. You can spot the wealthy a mile away!

If it looks like it's snowing but it's 15 degrees outside its just fly ash from the local power station. So sickeningly true as above, in the centre of town.

If you find a store you like, buy every thing you like because when you come back in two weeks time it will be be replaced with something completely random. Or like one of the guys this week 'Hey, I was up here 3 months ago and that shed wasnt there (it was something like 30mx120m long)

Lizard on a stick is fine as long as it is straight off the street vendors BBQ which is glowing red.

Cars without number plates are party officials. Leave them alone. Yes, we were warned to keep pretty low key in the Government cars we got between towns)

Children with holes cut into their trousers save on nappies. They are also taught to do their business in the trash cans in shopping centres as well, saw many instances of this!:eek:

If you aren't sure if it is the sun or the moon due to the smog and it's midday - its the sun. Yep, never saw the sun once in Zbo or Jinan.

Don't get drunk and open your mouth in the shower and drink the tap water. You will be immediately sober. Yep, its gross

When people are doing maotai shots it's ok to toss it over your shoulder when no one is looking. Just make sure no one is sitting behind you.

It's ok to catch a taxi to work every day when it only costs $2.Yes, did a few taxi trips and was RMB15 across town which was pretty good value considering from airport to city in Brisbane is $40+

So many interesting things I didnt put in my post, as I think of them I will add!

pinkboy

Great story pink boy (and boomtown). I have only been to Guangzhou for the canton fair (april 2010 ) so the town is prettied up for the fair. Absolutely LOVED it As you said it is crazy and fast and smoggy. I was lucky enough to have a really good friend who translated and guided us around. Because Charlie did not know Guangzhou we did not venture out too far. After the fair we went up to shanghai and, as Charlie lives there, we had a really good tour. :). (although again the city was prettied up because it was just before the world expo)

Spruikers were definitely an art form :) we were considering having tshirts printed... No missy does not want handbag or watch :)

I am going back to Asia in sept and plan on visiting a couple of my suppliers in hong kong, Shenzhen and Guangzhou. The train trip from HK to Guangzhou is fabulous.

I spent a couple of months travelling around China in 2005.

I loved, it's an amazing place. We started in Shanghai and caught trains/buses down to Guangzhou, across to HK - back to mainland to Guilin, Lijiang and up to Xiaan and lastly Beijing. There were other places in between that I can't remember.

It was pretty much 2 months of devouring dumplings, drinking too much Tsingtao and eating lots of bizarre "stuff."

Everything pinkboy mentions is how I remembered it - and lots of spitting. Nothing like being woken up on a train trip by the guy next you hocking up a lung...

Cheers

Jamie

Beijing and Shanghai are very touristy and safe. Xian, Lhasa, Guilin, Jiuzhaigou are the other main tourist destinations. Hong Kong is like going to the Asia Pacific's version of New York.

Jamie_M's trip sounds like the the mainstream tourist route. Next time try visiting Harbin (as someone mentioned) to view ice cuttings and Qingdao (see all the German forts and beaches and production of Tsingtao).

Guangzhou - surprised you liked it. Not a tourist destination and doesn't ever feature as one. A complete industrial city and the powerhouse of China. All my friends from Guangzhou tell me horror stories about kidney kidnappers too.

The kidney horror stories are the ones who get duped into spending the night with some attractive girl only to find out the next morning they're in a bathtub and lose a body part.

For the average foreigner just be careful.

My son and I went on the Wendy Wu 21 day tour starting in Shanghai and finishing in Beijing with a 9 day cruise down the Yangtse. It was fantastic. I realise we were sheltered from the real China but we able to wander around each time we stayed overnight. X'iang was amazing, loved the wall city. The people were so friendly everywhere we went.

We had fabulous food prepared freshly for us...but it was very westernised...thank goodness :D

Would really love to go back and do it all again.

I have been to Hong Kong many times and always enjoy it.

Chris

Well I wasnt really on a tourist trip anyway, I was away for business purposes! We had a little fun as we had a little spare time, but as explained the days were long with business meetings and translating without even having to go out at night like we did!

I dont drink, so without a physical kidnapping, I think Id be pretty right. I had worse thoughts about this when I was in Bangkok, Thailand getting my teeth done - thats why I insisted they did the whole reconstruction awake in the chair! Never know where I was going to wake up!

Pretty interesting country that I will be going back to on the odd occasion I imagine, so I better get a little used to the place. Thinking I might learn some Chinese language to communicate more effectively there.

pinkboy

best learn putong hua (mandarin) as oppose to cantonese which is only widely use in guangzhou and HK.

As a foreigner - you're not really expected to speak super fluently but if you can it helps to not get ripped off.

The kidney horror stories are the ones who get duped into spending the night with some attractive girl only to find out the next morning they're in a bathtub and lose a body part.

For the average foreigner just be careful.

Let's just say, don't go in to public toilets in secluded areas alone

My son and I went on the Wendy Wu 21 day tour starting in Shanghai and finishing in Beijing with a 9 day cruise down the Yangtse. It was fantastic. I realise we were sheltered from the real China but we able to wander around each time we stayed overnight. X'iang was amazing, loved the wall city. The people were so friendly everywhere we went.

We had fabulous food prepared freshly for us...but it was very westernised...thank goodness :D

Would really love to go back and do it all again.

I have been to Hong Kong many times and always enjoy it.

Chris

Agreed. Shanghai and HK are 2 of my favourite holiday spots. BJ and Xian very nice cities to visit and see historical sites. Although Xian city wall is far more wow factor... and love the mix of Arabian food there too.

Jamie_M's trip sounds like the the mainstream tourist route. Next time try visiting Harbin (as someone mentioned) to view ice cuttings and Qingdao (see all the German forts and beaches and production of Tsingtao).

There were other places in between that were "less touristy" but I think I enjoyed the more touristy places that I mentioned....I guess they're touristy for a reason.

Cheers

Jamie

Here are some pics from the Snow and Ice festival in Harbin

Attachments

• Harbin 4.jpg
    Harbin 4.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Harbin 2.jpg
    Harbin 2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Harbin 3.jpg
    Harbin 3.jpg