Chinese buying Sydney Property & Pushing Aussies Out of Market

I've always thought that racisim is discrimination based on race.

Personally, I don't think making non-discriminatory comments about the differences between races is racism. It has to be discrimatory.

Viva la difference!

In the last 12 months the majority of auctions I've attended in my suburb have ended with a sale to a Chinese mainland buyer. 5 years ago, this would have been quite unusual. Typically these buyers are looking for large, double brick homes as the intention is for the man of the house's parents to live with the family. They will pay over the odds for what they want. Speaking with local agents these buyers value size and structure (ie. double brick) above all else. Something for investors to bear in mind for areas where they feel there may be future Chinese interest :)

In the last 12 months the majority of auctions I've attended in my suburb have ended with a sale to a Chinese mainland buyer. 5 years ago, this would have been quite unusual. Typically these buyers are looking for large, double brick homes as the intention is for the man of the house's parents to live with the family. They will pay over the odds for what they want. Speaking with local agents these buyers value size and structure (ie. double brick) above all else. Something for investors to bear in mind for areas where they feel there may be future Chinese interest :)

Surprised if that's in the Shire, which suburb?
And how do you know these buyers are mainland Chinese?

Surprised if that's in the Shire, which suburb?
And how do you know these buyers are mainland Chinese?

From Sylvania/Sylvania Waters/Kirrawee/Kareela area..10-15 mins to Hurstville which has large Chinese population and cultural amenities.

As for how I can tell? In my business, my largest trade area is China, I've visited about 15 times in the last 8 years. I spend a lot of time in China. I find it easy to pick a mainland Han Chinese from HK Chinese. It's a combination of language , dress , mannerisms etc.

Last edited:
Back