Chinese Immigrants Emerge Unscathed from U.S. Housing Bust

I wouldn't do something just because a chinese guy is doing it
As a race they are prolific smokers, so......yep; don't always follow a crowd.

Indians are prolific at buying 7-Elevens...but would you buy one? No thanks.

And so on.

Last edited:
As a race they are prolific smokers, so......yep; don't always follow a crowd.

Indians are prolific at buying 7-Elevens...but would you buy one? No thanks.

And so on.

You are over generalizing there. I am overseas Chinese, but although my race is Chinese, I don't smoke.
I think you should be able to pick out the GOOD TRAITS that you want to follow.

I heard that Aussies are great at getting drunk and getting wasted and doing stupid things (fighting, creating trouble) in the city on Friday and Saturday nights. You one of them? Been there done that? ;)
So how do you feel when you are generalized this way? :)

Last edited:
you are over generalizing there. I am overseas chinese, but although my race is chinese, i don't smoke.
I think you should be able to pick out the good traits that you want to follow.

I heard that aussies are great at getting drunk and getting wasted and doing stupid things (fighting, creating trouble) in the city on friday and saturday nights. You one of them? Been there done that? ;)
so how do you feel when you are generalized this way? :)

lol!! :d

hardly think the article is racist at all

it is merely giving statistics similar to something an agent can give you when you run a profile on a suburb detailing on various ethnic groups etc percentage wise.

The main reason why chinese or the other asian groups tend to have high home ownership is that they save a lot of their money. so more or less they're pretty tight on keeping their expenditure to a minimum. i think you probably recognize that from one or two forum members whose namesake is based on the country who drives a corolla while having assets in the millions. nothing wrong with that though.

Bit off topic, but is an advertisement for a job as maintenance person at a local hospital with the statement "aboriginal applicants only".....is that racism?

In my view its not racist but discriminating if the applicant is not an aboriginal.

"?boriginal applicant preferred" is a better way to advertise it.

Racism is a funny topic. Things affect the people of the same race differently. Depends on person to person. A chinese can be racist to a chinese! An Indian can be rasist to an Indian and so on...very broad topic lol I did a human resources unit for my masters just for fun and that is what we discussed so many times.

Its pretty hard for me to stereotype people, being an Indian (knowing how many diffenent kind of people we got there) and knowing people from different backgrounds.

Some people think any talk about a race is racism or taking a lil bit of p.. is racism. Comeon we are just humans we love that s...!

Bit off topic, but is an advertisement for a job as maintenance person at a local hospital with the statement "aboriginal applicants only".....is that racism?

Some people think any talk about a race is racism or taking a lil bit of p.. is racism. Comeon we are just humans we love that s...!

Thankyou...!;)

I like that show on TV, Big Bang Theory.

full of jesting from all walks and just fun, absolutely no harm at all.

Do any of it in real life and you get lambasted as the dirtiest racist bigot on earth.:rolleyes:

I have friends from many differing races.

You are over generalizing there.
It's a 52 year observation - but I haven't been to China; only observed the folk (tourists) here in Aus, in the USA, in Ireland and England, Fiji, Bali, NZ and Hong Kong.

Actually; from my observation; most Asian races are prolific smokers. More-so the men than the women.

Why are you guys like that?

I mean; surely by now everyone realises that smoking:
a) doesn't make you look tough
b) is not cool
c) costs a lot
d) will kill you
e) makes you smell really foul
f) turns people into massive litterers
g) provides massive tax revenue to the Gubbmint (thanks on behalf of all Aussies for than one).

But hey; it's a free world; do what you want to your body..I drink alcohol which can kill me.

I think you should be able to pick out the GOOD TRAITS that you want to follow.
I can do that too, but the smoking observation is a better example for the argument about not following a crowd.

Yes, it is, and it's discrimination. (It may also be a subliminal PC stunt to soothe the Indigenous folk, or to be seen to be PC).

My feeling is; terrific! Let's have more of these types of ads/jobs...we (white Aussies who took the Country) are always accused of not helping. That ad is definitely helping them by providing opportunity..

Anyone who reckons "Aboriginal only" ads are unfair, or discriminatory - a cup of concrete is required.

But, if you were to complain about it, or go on ACA and do a song and dance about it - you would be branded a racist and seen to be anti Aboriginal, or Indigenous or whatever the term is now.

Go figure.

The question is; did many apply?

I heard that Aussies are great at getting drunk and getting wasted and doing stupid things (fighting, creating trouble) in the city on Friday and Saturday nights.
Yep; Aussies are known to do that. I've been drunk so many times I've lost count...but as stated; I'm 52, so I've had a lot of time. :D

I've never started a fight though; drunk or sober. Been in two - helping another person who was attacked (primary school).

You one of them? Been there done that?
See above

So how do you feel when you are generalized this way?
It doesn't affect me at all.

That's the key though, isn't it? Folks get offended about every little thing, all over the world, and then someone gets stabbed etc.

See it on the news every single night.

Folks need to get a bit less precious, learn to turn the other cheek, get over themselves, their religion, their race or whatever and grow a thicker skin about what people say etc.

Last edited:
Yes it is! It's racism in reverse! You would soon get into a heap of trouble if you advertised "white applicants only", wouldn't you? Why not just let the best applicant have the job, white, black, chinese etc, who cares the colour of the skin or their background, just the best person for the job. The only reason any job should be advertised as "...........applicants only" should be if that trait has a bearing on the performance of the job.

Folks need to get a bit less precious, learn to turn the other cheek, get over themselves, their religion, their race or whatever and grow a thicker skin about what people say etc.

I think everything is too PC these days. When I was a kid, the new immigrants (unless they were from England or NZ) were often branded as 'wogs'. Yes, some ribbing, and it wasn't always nice (and I'm not condoning the relentless teasing etc), but lets look at those kids now. Most of them developed a thick skin and have assimilated into Aussie culture. They know how to laugh at themselves and to take a joke, and isn't that what Aussies do? We make jokes, at our own expense & at others.

Some of the newer immigrants that I'm seeing (and I see a lot, based on where the skating rink is located) don't seem like they'll ever assimilate unless we 'the rest of us' change. And so, you end up with a community of precious individuals who are offended at the slightest little thing.

I think everything is too PC these days. When I was a kid, the new immigrants (unless they were from England or NZ) were often branded as 'wogs'.
I remember many a hard fought battle on the hand tennis court at High School between the "wogs" and the "skips". :D

I remember many a hard fought battle on the hand tennis court at High School between the "wogs" and the "skips". :D

Yep! And I was not immune either. I was a Pommie! I was always taunted because I said poo-well (pool), schoo-well (school), sweets, instead of lollies, vest, instead of singlet, and many more that I've forgotten over the years.

Most of them developed a thick skin and have assimilated into Aussie culture.

Some of the newer immigrants that I'm seeing (and I see a lot, based on where the skating rink is located) don't seem like they'll ever assimilate unless we 'the rest of us' change. And so, you end up with a community of precious individuals who are offended at the slightest little thing.

I cherry picked a few excerpts above, but we've apparently moved away from assimilation and into multiculturalism nowadays :confused:

I cherry picked a few excerpts above, but we've apparently moved away from assimilation and into multiculturalism nowadays :confused:

Multiculturalism is fine! But they still have to assimilate! Sheesh! We all live in the same country!

I've got a friend that is Greek. He still has his Greek customs, food, religion, traditions etc, yet he is assimilated into society without expecting that the rest of the country change to suit him. We've another friend that is Polish. Goes back to Poland regularly & part of the Polish Community, yet exactly the same as the above Greek friend.

Isn't that what society really needs? Muliticulturalism, but all working together, accepting and embracing the differences, not expecting the rest of us to change to accommodate them, but us all being a small part of the whole.

Skater pls read into the definition of assimilation.

Assimilation is a terrible idea and results in a boring sea of beige, no thanks. what you have described with your Greek friend is not assimilation, it is more integration/multiculturalism and is an entire different thing.

When you demand people who come here assimilate you are demanding they leave a lot of what they hold dear at the door

I also dont think Italian immigrants being mocked back in the day is something to be proud of or aspire to either, it was flat out xenophibia by simpletons

Assimilation is a terrible idea and results in a boring sea of beige, no thanks. what you have described with your Greek friend is not assimilation, it is more integration/multiculturalism and is an entire different thing.
Whatever you want to call it, it works.

When you demand people who come here assimilate you are demanding they leave a lot of what they hold dear at the door
Well, no, that wasn't what I meant. I mean they can still hold onto who/what they are without trying to change the people that are already here.

I also dont Italian immigrants being mocked back in the day is something to be proud of or aspire to either, it was flat out xenophibia by simpletons
Maybe I didn't articulate myself very well. I did say that I didn't condone the way that some of the immigrants were mocked. You can teach people how to do that (not the mocking part, accepting people into society) without becoming so politically correct that you lose what YOU are, while upholding every little thing from minority groups. And, no matter what you do, you will always get some simpleton being a troublemaker.

Whatever you want to call it, it works.

Well, no, that wasn't what I meant. I mean they can still hold onto who/what they are without trying to change the people that are already here.

Then i agree with you but pls note that is NOT assimilation that you are advocating. It isnt a case of "whatever you want to call it", it is a highly contentious issue and the least we can do is ensure we are being accurate.

"Cultural assimilation is the process by which a person or a group's language and, or culture come to resemble those of another group. The term is used both to refer to both individuals and groups, and in the latter case it can refer to either immigrant diasporas or native residents that come to be culturally dominated by another society. Assimilation may involve either a quick or gradual change depending on circumstances of the group. Full assimilation occurs when new members of a society become indistinguishable from members of the other group."

Bsed on the above definition neither your Greek nor your Polish mate are assimilated and that is, IMO at least, a good thing.

sanj...what do you think about the "aboriginal only" advert for jobs ?

And Im not talking about jobs that only aboriginals can do. These are regular everyday jobs that have now been classified when they become available as ATSI applicants only.

I also dont think Italian immigrants being mocked back in the day is something to be proud of or aspire to either, it was flat out xenophibia by simpletons
For your enjoyment;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeV9e-RQ0pY

or this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-NyzLzJwrc

Come on Sanj; lighten up a tad.

I think if these folks can laugh at themselves; so can we all.

I went to see Mary Coustas on stage once, and saw "WooW" on stage too..

Back