Chinese Immigrants Emerge Unscathed from U.S. Housing Bust

Laughing at themselves is different as there is no malice involved. Back in the 60s and 70s there was undoubtedly a fair bit of malice towards immigrants, you'll have to forgive me if i dont think glossing over that and almost encouraging it is the right approach.

People who know me know that i dont take life too seriously at all and im always having a laugh. Im the first one to poke fun at myself but i draw the line at malicious comments.

Fence - i will respond to your post later

laughing at themselves is different as there is no malice involved. Back in the 60s and 70s there was undoubtedly a fair bit of malice towards immigrants, you'll have to forgive me if i dont think glossing over that and almost encouraging it is the right approach.

HELLO!! Where did i say i encouraged it?

Laughing at themselves is different as undthere is no malice involved. Back in the 60s and 70s there was undoubtedly a fair bit of malice towards immigrants, you'll have to forgive me if i dont think glossing over that and almost encouraging it is the right approach.
Sounds like you weren't there...I was.

It's actually not much different today from my observations - back then all the Italians hated the Greeks, the Greeks hated the Macedonians, and the Lebanese "Lebbos" were the odd group out who no-one knew what to think about.

All the above were called wogs, wops and daygos and so on, and whiteys like me were skips (and worse).

Most folk actually got on pretty well across the board, believe it or not.

These days there are far more races and Countries represented here.

If anything; the gang violence (inter-Country) has escalated, and the PC, thin skinned sook element has escalated....sad. Wrecks it for all.

For your improved education on Aussie life "back in the day", you might want to read;

"They're a weird Mob" and "Gone Fishin'" by Nino Culotta.

Terrific reads.

Sounds like you weren't there...I was.
Me too! Although not a 'Wog', I still copped it for being a 'Pommie'.

It's actually not much different today from my observations - back then all the Italians hated the Greeks, the Greeks hated the Macedonians, and the Lebanese "Lebbos" were the odd group out who no-one knew what to think about.

All the above were called wogs, wops and daygos and so on, and whiteys like me were skips (and worse).
Yep! That's how I remember it, except there was a bit more resistance to the 'Lebs' where I was.

Most folk actually got on pretty well across the board, believe it or not.
They did! Yes there were the odd zealots, but they were on BOTH sides. Lots of name calling etc, but there wasn't a lot of real trouble, as such. The 'wogs' learnt how to laugh at themselves and we just got on with it.

The real racist stuff came from the older generation. My father hated the 'Ching-Chongs' (Chinese), but I had Asian friends, so ignored him. He also hated with a vengeance the 'Krouts' (Germans, not sure if I spelled that one right). My best friend was German, so I was very defensive, especially when he made accusations of her parents being Nazi's, but he fought in WW2, so I really didn't pay much attention to what he said & thought that it was only natural that he would have resistance, given his life experience.

These days there are far more races and Countries represented here.

If anything; the gang violence (inter-Country) has escalated, and the PC, thin skinned sook element has escalated....sad. Wrecks it for all.

Again, I agree. This country is so PC correct, it is sickening. You can't crack a joke less it offend. And Aussies are a nation of larrikins that like to tell a joke or two.

Ahh those Nino Culotta books...fabulous reads and what is needed to be read by the PC crowd today and the message to not be so bloody sensitive.

In our little town we have, like just about every town/city in Australia, the local Chinese Restaurant.
Actually we have 2 and both run by Chinese people who have assimilated (that's what I call it no matter what sanj says) into the way of life here, never ever complain or make any claims of disadvantage or discrimination and therefore have total respect from pretty much the whole population as these restaurants are well patronised and people talk positively about them, never heard a bad word ever.

sanj...still thinking about it eh?

Im just interested in what people think, Im not complaining, just interested in why this nation is going down this path of doling out jobs to a cetain race of people exclusively...?

Of which, I have many friends but they already have jobs and have, dare I say it, become part of western society without any need for help. They just did it like everyone else. same colour skin, same rellos, but just the right attitude.

Im just interested in what people think, Im not complaining, just interested in why this nation is going down this path of doling out jobs to a cetain race of people exclusively...?
That whole circus is only about being PC and covering one's @rse against gettin' sued in this terrific time we live in.

It all ties in the the "Sorry" thing and treading on eggshells around them, perchance a slight on the self esteem was evoked.

At least they can't whine that they aren't gettin' a fair go when they see that jobs are being held just for them and them alone.

Maybe we'll get a bit of peace.

PC and ANZACS

Its hard for most of us to understand but let me try to explain the equivalency......

In terms of "hurt value" making fun of peoples racial origins is akin to foreigners poking fun at ANZACS. Although we are happy to dish out jokes about others, when the boot is on the other foot, we really dislike it when people take the mick out of us.

Can't take a joke can we?! Last year when some TV celebs poked fun at Australia's only uninjured Victoria Cross recipient, a giant of a man more than able to defend himself, people did not take it well. The jokesters got death threats. They lost their jobs. In many peoples eyes, this was not funny at all - it was insulting.

Spare a thought for the Aborigines, "Horses Hoofs", Jews and other assorted ethnics when we make jokes about them. They too have feelings and feel affronted when people (innocently or otherwise) put them down. This is not about being PC - its about being civilized. Some of the jokes we make about foreigners make us look downright backward.

Last edited:
Its hard for us to understand but let me try to explain the equivalency......

Making fun of people's racial origins is kinda akin to foreigners poking fun at ANZACS. Although we hare happy to dish out jokes about others, when the boot is on the other foot, we really dislike it when it happens to us.

Consider this: Last year when some TV celebs poked fun at Australia's only uninjured Victoria Cross recipient, people did not take it well. The jokesters got death threats. They lost their jobs.

Can't take a joke can we?!

It would seem that Ben Roberts-Smith doesn't suffer from Political Correctness and accepts the comments were not malicious,

''I was a little surprised at the comments, but I also understand they were not meant to be malicious,'' Corporal Roberts-Smith said. ''My wife [Emma] and I were extremely touched by the outpouring of support and concern. I have now put this matter behind me.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nat...gainst-hero-20120229-1u3pb.html#ixzz2kPfFdxH6

The show got the chop for poor ratings, Negus and Stymes did not lose their jobs over these comments.

Corporal Roberts-Smith said. ''My wife [Emma] and I were extremely touched by the outpouring of support and concern.

A generous response from the Iron Corporal.

Pity about the death threats from his "supporters." Corporal Ben - a man who is big enough to defend himself - made no mention of that . One of the jokesters, Yumi Stynes, who is part-Asian, copped some pretty vile hate mail and was threatened with rape, death etc - not to mention the usual stuff about "you go home if you dislike living in 'Straya."

We freely dish out "jokes" abut ethnics, gays, lesbians etc. But when the boot's on the other foot, we can't seem to take a joke can we?

A generous response from the Iron Corporal.

Pity about the death threats from his "supporters." Stynes, who is part-Asian, copped some pretty vile hate mail and was threatened with rape, death etc - not to mention the usual stuff about "you go home if you dislike living in 'Straya."

When the boot's on the other foot, we can't take a joke can we?

Yes, vile responses from people to both Negus and Stynes who would consider their jokes to be very politically incorrect.

I think that the majority of people from all nationalities can take a joke when it is meant with good humour and spirit.

The problem area is when there is an undertone of racism or malice behind the joke.

We freely dish out "jokes" abut ethnics, gays, lesbians etc. But when the boot's on the other foot, we can't seem to take a joke can we?

Maybe you ought to speak for yourself!

I'm a Pommie! I'm also very short! I've been on the receiving end of numerous jokes about Pom's & short people.

As soon as you work out that these jokes aren't made 'at' you, rather 'with' you, you realise that it's all harmless fun. Yes, there are the zealots, that say things with malice, but that's not how the majority think.

Being too PC, changes the dynamics in a bad way. It makes people think that what has previously been said in jest, is said in malice, and that's when people get their poor little egos hurt.

It's not just race, religion or sexual persuasion either. One of my kids had a friend called Stephanie. Hubby, always one to jest, started calling her Step-on-me. She retaliated by calling him Ant-poo (Andrew). Both were just making fun of each other in a light hearted way, and both these psuedums stuck.

Maybe instead of having everything so PC we should concentrate on teaching our kids how to take a joke, and how to know the difference between a light ribbing and something done out of malice.

Maybe you ought to speak for yourself!

Maybe instead of having everything so PC we should concentrate on teaching our kids how to take a joke, and how to know the difference between a light ribbing and something done out of malice.

So correct, but not PC :rolleyes:

I've got a friend who everyone calls "5h1t"...his last name is Carter. LOL!!!

As much as everybody says it's all in good fun, and was never meant to hurt, it can and does hurt- especially for somebody who may be a bit borderline in appearance (like my daughters- one especially) and who is not very used to getting comments.

If there's the slightest risk of hurting somebody, don't do it.

My 12 year old son was involved in some very disgusting abuse activity on the IPod not too long ago...texting and so on.

I stepped in and threatened to report all of them to the Principal of his school.

It was basically a case of all of them saying something that was a little dramatic, and then got exaggerated by another who got all sooky and thin-skinned and on it went from there.

To my disappointment, my son was not totally innocent, by the way...

My wife and I have always tried to educate him about being nasty to folks, about not responding to mere words - to ignore and/or laugh words off.

This incident gave him a massive wake-up call about how to not follow that advice can get kids/adults into trouble, and cause them to be unhappy. He is learning to ignore all the silly vitriol that pours out of the kids' (and adults') internet world.

He even brings the IPod to me now to show me folks' comments, and we have a laugh at what has been typed/said to or about others. It's funny, but not funny - but it's also how you handle it. I have even shown him comments thrown at me here on SS to illustrate to him how I handle them (emotionally) - I treat them in a light hearted way and not get upset at all, and usually respond without getting nasty and too personal.

It's quite alarming when you think these are 12 year olds, but it just goes to show how things can go at all ages if you let it, and how much it seems to be normal human behaviour, unfortunately. Many twelve year olds aren't yet educated a lot in these social matters of course..it takes a few more years for them to fully understand the ramifications of these things, and hopefully they make the right choices.

No matter what age, race, colour, religion - we all need to be like Corporal Ben - he is not bothered by tiresome insects who say stupid things...he has faced far whose and is above all that.

Or, you can take it on board, take it to heart, get all sooky and hurt feelings and be a victim.

I think it's completely inappropriate. ?

oh yes its totally completely and utterly politically incorrect.

But since when did political correctness impact on returns.

Mother nature does not care about political correctness and nether should any aspiring capitalist looking to make a return.

If you want to learn, the truth is some races are better at acquiring wealth than others.

For myself I have learnt plenty from my Jewish and Chinese friends, far more than from any other ethnic group.

Woops was I just politically incorrrect

oh yes its totally completely and utterly politically incorrect.

But since when did political correctness impact on returns.

Mother nature does not care about political correctness and nether should any aspiring capitalist looking to make a return.

If you want to learn, the truth is some races are better at acquiring wealth than others.

For myself I have learnt plenty from my Jewish and Chinese friends, far more than from any other ethnic group.

Woops was I just politically incorrrect

Yup, I agree with above statements.
Some races are naturally better than others in certain things, I personally believe it's got to do with up bringing, environment, culture, history and many other variables.
I am also one learnt plenty in terms financial gain from my Asian and Jewish friends, more so over other ethnic groups.

Some races are naturally better than others in certain things
If it's because of their race, I don't agree. I don't believe that two people with the same upbringing will be different just because of their race.

I personally believe it's got to do with up bringing, environment, culture, history and many other variables.
Upbringing and culture has everything to do with it IMO.

The employees I had the hardest time with were males from a privileged background, from a number of continents. Many had never been put into a situation where they had to perform any domestic duties and had trouble with physically working. Females with the same background typically had a background and expectation of performing duties at home.

If it's because of their race, I don't agree. I don't believe that two people with the same upbringing will be different just because of their race.

Would you agree that certain race/ethnic groups are better at some things compared to others?
Obviously this does not apply to all, but just generally speaking, you can call it generalisation. But the mass defines its general perception

For example, I have learnt more about financial gains from Asian / Jew Ethnic groups, compared to any other groups. This concludes that these groups are generally better are gaining wealth compared to others, this does not suggest each and every single one

Would you agree that certain race/ethnic groups are better at some things compared to others?
Obviously this does not apply to all, but just generally speaking, you can call it generalisation. But the mass defines its general perception

For example, I have learnt more about financial gains from Asian / Jew Ethnic groups, compared to any other groups. This concludes that these groups are generally better are gaining wealth compared to others, this does not suggest each and every single one
I don't agree that any race is inherently better than another.

Different upbringings will lead some groups to excel at some things and not at others. But it doesn't mean that a person has a certain characteristic because they belong to a particular racial group.

I believe it's wrong to pre classify anybody based on race. If somebody with a Jewish background is better at certain things, it's not because they are Jewish- it's because they have been brought up in a culture which emphasises those things.

Belief in race as a defining characteristic has led to a huge amount of evil being done, over many many years and in many different places.

Back