Choice of suburbs?

Hi all,

I recently inspected three nice properties at Nunawading, Moorabbin & Clayton with an intention to my my first home. All 3 bedrooms + 2 bathrooms. The ones at Moorabbin & Clayton are brand new, while the Moorabbin property is a year old.

I kind of liked all the three...but not sure about which suburb is the best choice in terms of future growth potential and livability.

I would appreciate any guidance/thoughts that can help me make a decision.

Thanks,
Lee

Well there's some interesting choices.....

Going by the fact they are similar radius to the City, I assume your occupation is in the CBD.

All three are great for public transport.

The only thing that comes to mind is with Clayton, you'll have better access to asian groceries and halal stuff.

There's also a big hospital (Monash) and uni (Monash) in the vicinity which may affect CG in a positive way.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi Leegirl,

I believe there is a pocket in Nunawading that you might need to watch out for as there is a lot of druggos/crime. Maybe someone who lives in the area can share some light as to which pocket to avoid. I have a couple of friends who have advised me, one who lives there and the other who runs the pharmacy there.

Thank you Y-Man & Vuster. That's very helpful info.

The property in Nunawading is located just off Springfield Road and close to Nunawading station. Would you know if that'a a good location?

Also, with Clayton, some people have warned me about crimes there......although I haven't heard of it. But the property is walking distance to the Medical Centre, so I think its a good buy.

Hi all,

I recently inspected three nice properties at Nunawading, Moorabbin & Clayton with an intention to my my first home. All 3 bedrooms + 2 bathrooms. The ones at Moorabbin & Clayton are brand new, while the Moorabbin property is a year old.

I kind of liked all the three...but not sure about which suburb is the best choice in terms of future growth potential and livability.

Hi Lee,

Long term growth is a little off on this site (I've found it a little high based on other sites), but it does allow you to compare apples with apples.

So, we've got:
http://www.investsmart.com.au/property-research/VIC/3131/Nunawading.asp
houses 11.18%, units 7.3%

http://www.investsmart.com.au/property-research/VIC/3194/Moorabbin-Airport.asp
says no data. implies its a new suburb. Means most of the money you will be paying in the price is the house, not the land (land apprecaites, houses deprecaite)

http://www.investsmart.com.au/prope...?Postcode=3169&Suburb=Clayton South&State=VIC
houses 11.44%, units 10.84

Which is simialar enough to the other suburb so as not to count for houses, but has a big difference for units.

What are you planning on buying?

Jas

The property in Nunawading is located just off Springfield Road and close to Nunawading station. Would you know if that'a a good location?

Also, with Clayton, some people have warned me about crimes there......although I haven't heard of it. But the property is walking distance to the Medical Centre, so I think its a good buy.

You might find this link interesting:
http://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/treasure-chest-past-forums/the-treasure-chest/1781

My choice would be Moorabbin. Bayside baby and near Brighton. Near the St Kilda footy club and not far from the beach and Southland.

It's pretty quiet near Springfield rd - either side of Springvale Rd. No major issues to report.

Clayton is very "vibrant" - seems to be lots of people walking the streets at all hours... :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi Leegirl,

I believe there is a pocket in Nunawading that you might need to watch out for as there is a lot of druggos/crime. Maybe someone who lives in the area can share some light as to which pocket to avoid.

Avoid "Burnt St" off Springy Rd (first left after Whitehorse Rd >>heading North)
Looks like so many housing commission units there, Its close to Springfield Rd.
But overall N'wading is good eastern suburb, just my thought.........

KK

Hi all.

Long time reader first post though.

I have places in Nunawading and have bought again recently there, they are upgrading the railway to a premium station, one of my places is near burnt st and my tenants have had no problems and it turned itself CF+ within 2yrs. There is commision houses in places like Ashburton and look at those prices these days.

Jezza

I know Clayton quite well, as I have been looking at this area for a few months. Have stopped by, walked around the shops, etc, and drove past the streets at night. Just so I can get a feel for the area. And I have been visiting and driving past moorabbin for about 7-8 years now. Dont know the streets name, but know the suburb quite well. Nunawading I know nothing about.

Clayton,
They just opened up a new library, gym, pool building (cant remember what it called), and is close to CHaddy (which is getting an upgrade), a hospital and uni (I think its the biggest in oz, but not 100% sure). Its median is less than oakleigh, I believe, and think has potential, if you look at the area (but I guess thats based on emotion and guess work). BUT, it is an industral area, or is close to it (may be a good thing as people who work there might want to be close to work), and there is some violence there, but only a bit from what i've heard.

Moorabbin,
Close to southland, and close to the beach and the treddy beach areas. Great cafe/restraunt, beach, vibrant type atmosphere in the surrounding suburbs, but moorabbin itself doesnt have much to offer, IMO. It also has a tafe. The nightclub (that used to be on the corner of south rd and the hwy) used to have violence, saw it myself, but thats going back a few years. And also they are thinking of putting new commission housing there, but the locals are against it.

To live, personaly I like moorabbin, b'coz its close to other nice suburbs. To invest, clayton, b'coz it has more going for it. New(ish) building with facilities, a big uni, and moorabbin might get that commission housing, which could hurt the ip's value.

Hope that helped some1 some how

I lived in Clayton for 5 years. I enjoyed it as a student. But thats the thing about Clayton, there are so many students. and from experience, these students are here a few years and then off somewhere else and as a result a lot of the properties are not well taken care off, messy frontyard etc.

I think as an IP, it is an awesome cash flow and tenantable location, However if you plan to live there long term, you must consider lifestyle and wheter you feel comfortable with the number of students there. I think it will only increase. 3 -4 unit blocks are popping up all over the place now and their market is students.

I read a book from steve mcknight and he said about buying properties that the market wants. At clayton the market wants student accomodation. And the student portion wants close to uni and cheap rents. So I think potential for CG will be hampered there. Although having said that, I am aware that Clayton has had a very good run.

I'd consider the Nunawading area in general over clayton and moorabin. Good infrastructure and close to Glen Waverley as well. i think you will find that a lot of ppl wanting to live in Glen will be priced out and the next place they look for is Nunawading being quite close. I was like this as well, as I wanted to buy in the Glen Waverley area but then moved out to Nunawading.

I would choose Nunawading. However that is because I know of the area better than the other 2 areas. Nunawading is near the Eastern Freeway, transport and near some nice suburbs. (IE. Doncaster). I like Nunawading potential for growth as children who grow up in the eastern suburbs consider living in Nunawading as compared to the rest of the east (blackburn to kew) is reasonably priced and is still the eastern suburbs

As for the other 2 suburbs, I don't know enough about them to comment.

Back