Chris Batten - Trusts

W

WebBoard

Has anyone had any dealings with Chris Batten or attended his seminars for advice on hybrid discretionary trusts? I am considering paying $198 to attend one of his lectures.

You can check him out at http://www.chrisbatten.com.au/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hey Dale, what's your opinion on this statement which I found at Chris Batten's web site?

"The most flexible structure in the majority of occasions is the hybrid discretionary trust. The trust allows for quaranteening of negative gearing, refinancing and flexible distributions of income and capital in the future."

GA

Reply: 1.1

Hi Gordon!

I'd like to see the trust deed and further information before I answer this one properly. I'm a simple person and like simple straight forward discretionary trusts instead of hybrid trusts - could just be my ignorance, too!

However, by and large, I agree with the content of the web site and found it reassuring that the stuff that I keep telling you and everyone else on this forum is confirmed there.

It looks very good.

Dale

Reply: 1.1.1

Dale,

I found a link to a copy of the trust deed: http://www.chrisbatten.com.au/web/content/trusts/deeds/Hybrid%20Discretionary%20Trust.pdf. I started trying to read it but could feel my brain going into meltdown so had a beer instead.

I found the statement "The trust allows for quaranteening of negative gearing" interesting and wondered if this was something that a hybrid trust offered over and above a standard Discretionary Trust.

GA

Reply: 1.1.1.1

My understanding of trusts is that they can not distribute losses. Hence they can't be used for negative gearing in the case of wage slaves like myself (ie applying loss from IP against wage & getting tax refund).

Is this correct or not ?

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Hi

The seminars and information looks very good. I like what I see on the web page.

I don't see any need for the hybrid trust myself as a discretionary trust is fine for most people.

Cheers

Dale

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

Here goes

I know Chris, Nella did a contract for him in 1997 marketing a seminar to accountants and lawyers.

They are Chris's most appropriate clients. If you want to use his ideas, put your advisor in touch with him.

According to newspaper reports, Chris is a promoter of aggressive tax schemes. Therefore he allegedly is on the ATO's hit list and his complaints allegedly led to the Petroulias case. Apparently, the ATO has requested his client lists.

This does not mean that Chris doesn't know his stuff. He is smart and aggressive. He is also extremely busy and next to impossible to get a hold of.

Paul Zag
Dreamspinner
The Oz Film Biz site is archived at...
http://wealthesteem.dyndns.org/

Back