Chris Lang - recommendations??

I just paid way too much for it (with Chris's advice). !

Sadly, this seems to be a recurrent story for people who put their trust in Buyers Agents.

With a few exceptions most BA's don't give a damn if you don't make a capital gain. Once they get their commission, you won't hear from them again.

Although there are some exceptions, personally I would think twice before hiring a BA.

(Apologies to the very few BA's who DO achieve results)

Yeah, whatever I get for it will give me options. Sitting on it gives me depression!

Very sorry to learn of your troubles. Maybe you could call Mr Land to complain!

If he has a sense of honour, he might just buy you out - it would be the honest thing to do.

Please keep us informed as to how things go.

While I had no involvement with the property mentione, my company arranged finance for other suites within (I'm assuming) 1 Queens Road. At the time of purchase there must have been ample sales evidence to support the price paid, otherwise a Valuer would not have supported the loan.

My understanding of how Chris operates, from quite a few years of knowing him and assisting his clients, is that his clients generally pay under the price of most other purchasers and also would receive a 3% rebate from the developer at settlement.

I can also state that since the GFC, these 1-3 person offices have been severely affected, both for leasing and sales. But we have noticed a marked improvement over the first half of the year. And hopefully that will continue, once the election is out of the way.

I realise this won't help the buyer much, but I hope this gives everyone a bit more clarity with regard to the service provided by Chris Lang, and this situation in partiular.

My understanding of how Chris operates, from quite a few years of knowing him and assisting his clients, is that his clients generally pay under the price of most other purchasers and also would receive a 3% rebate from the developer at settlement.

If he is receiving payment from the client who has purchased AND a 3% kickback from the developer he has breached his Real Estate Licence. He is not being independent nor working in the best interest of the paying investor/customer.

Can you back this claim AP?

Would you like to take it off my hands APerry? Please make an offer.
I owe $207K on it, purchased it 10 years ago - but will give you a great deal.
Cheers,
Dave

If he is receiving payment from the client who has purchased AND a 3% kickback from the developer he has breached his Real Estate Licence. He is not being independent nor working in the best interest of the paying investor/customer.

it is suggested that the client is getting the rebate, not the agent. I can't see how an agent could breach his licence for receiving a 'kickback' when there isn't one?

You misread me, my understanding is that the client gets the amount that would have been paid to the agent if sold normally.

Hi all,

I am looking for a buyers agent to source a commercial property for me. I have been reading Chris Lang's material, both on line and his book 'How Commercial Property Really Works'.

Has anyone had Chris (or his company Property Edge) source a property for them, and if so, would they recommend him to other investors?

I spoke with Chris yesterday and was impressed to be able to contact him so easily directly by phone. He spent a considerable amount of his time chatting with me and he seemed to genuinely want to help me. He seems to be a very knowledgeable and cautious man.

Before signing up and as part of my due diligence, I just thought I'd check with others on Somersoft who may have used his services. I've done a search through old threads, and everything I've read to date instills me with confidence that hiring Chris will be the correct way for me to proceed!

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Regards Jason.

hi jason

a few points on investing......

-make sure people who give you investment advice have their renumeration tied to your success.

-if their renumeration is not linked to your profitability why pay them?

-if you need to be hand held, you probably should not invest :)

hi jason

a few points on investing......

-make sure people who give you investment advice have their renumeration tied to your success.

-if their renumeration is not linked to your profitability why pay them?
)

How do you propose that this would work?

After how many years do you measure the profitability? What if the market goes up and then down or vice versa?

How do you propose that this would work?

After how many years do you measure the profitability? What if the market goes up and then down or vice versa?

without trying to sound a like a smartass, commercial buyers agents rarely work.

they have no incentive to help you find a good investment property. my honest advice is monitor the market and do your own homework before investing. if you want to pay somebody a few hundred bucks to do that that is okay :)

without trying to sound a like a smartass, commercial buyers agents rarely work.

On what do you base that statement?

ie does a buyers agent only need to do a few deals per annum so rarely work? or is there so little commercial work around?

they have no incentive to help you find a good investment property. my honest advice is monitor the market and do your own homework before investing. if you want to pay somebody a few hundred bucks to do that that is okay :)

Likewise, incentive = repeat business/recommendations. A buyer, who knows jack, is much better to be guided by a professional than to go in blind. Would you dissuade someone in engaging an a/c consultant, engineer, p&B, solicitor when buying commercial property? Would you engage a solicitor to do your commercial calculations for reviewing the lease? (they studied law cause they were no good at maths).

As for Sanj's question - just like a valuation, the price determined is at a point in time, no crystal ball/hindsight is a great thing. If the deal is a poor one, use your intuition to avoid an offer in the first place and wait until the price drops (oh yeah, property values don't go down, ever!).

I have not worked as a Buyer’s Agent, however have met a few that are working for clients. As I see it, there are similarities to Sellers Agents. A seller can sell themselves, just as buyers can buy for themselves. Doing something that both may do rarely or regularly, they still have the choice, do I get assistance from someone who has some expertise and pay them or save the money and do it myself.

When a seller appoints an agent, do they get the price they want? I would suggest that they will get the best that is available during the window that suits them to sell.

So when a Buyer appoints an agent, do they get the best deal in the world, or a short list of what may be the best properties available, in the window that suits their buy “period”.

When both have made a decision, what happens next?

The market booms, and the sellers argues that his agent "undersold" !

The market falls, and the buyer argues that the agent "overbought" !

Now in both cases, I am assuming that the agents produced all the market evidence that was available at the time, to assist the "client" make their decision.

I find the thinking of making remuneration based upon "outcomes" an interesting one. When selling, its a bit easier to say, over this "xx", I will pay ..

When buying, how would you feel paying a sum, quite some time after the event, based upon whether the market rises or ..

At the end of the day, we each choose, to either look for advice or not. If we choose to look for advice, finally its our decision, do I agree with the advice, or not, and whether we base our decision on that advice.

I will put my hand up, even as an agent, I have over the years made a bad choice. Thankfully, the better ones have outnumbered..

I cannot remembered who said, if it were that easy .. everyone would be doing it ....

To the OP, did you end up selling?

If we choose to look for advice, finally its our decision, do I agree with the advice, or not, and whether we base our decision on that advice.

So true Peter. I have advised clients against doing particular deals for various reasons, yet they have gone against this advice (and not surprisingly failed).

As a total novice but following the comm IP space closely, I feel that office and warehouse space are totally risky. There is just no particular need for anyone to occupy your particular site. I think that street level retail space in the centre of a busy CBD / suburb e.g. Chatswood, Hornsby, Sydney city, is the best bet, preferably with a long term established tenant.

Even if that tenant goes, then there should be a reasonable chance that someone will take over. In any one suburb, there should always be a main street wherein the majority of shops and banks exist - I think thats the place to be. And with any group of suburbs, there is usually a suburb where the main retail hub is e.g. on the mid north shore, everyone goes to chatswood.

The same principle applies to industrial uses - proximity to major road infrastructure, truck access, secure compound, parking, functional warehouse & office, off street parking.

Exposure plays a smaller part depending upon the usage eg trade sales vs distribution.

Back