christmas pressie

do you have any troube thinking of ideas for people 2 buy u pressies??
all i want is
a new car
or an IP and they cant afford either.... lol
and nothing isnt a good enough answer...

It is so much easier now.
I tell them to buy me nothing..and I mean it.
The kids seem happy with it, as we still give them all money for Xmas.

I love not celebrating Xmas. You can't imagine the stress it brought (well maybe you can:) )
I did shop online for my mother's present yesterday.
Not being in the same country at Xmas time does help..and the fact it doesn't even seem like Xmas when it is summer !!!!

Some people really like to give gifts... I dont like to take that pleasure away from them, even if I dont really need anything.

what about a subscription to an investing magazine, or a book on investing.

a voucher for a nice dinner out......

red balloon vouchers....

if they dont have that amount of money, movie tickets or store vouchers.

do you have any troube thinking of ideas for people 2 buy u pressies??
all i want is
a new car
or an IP and they cant afford either.... lol
and nothing isnt a good enough answer...

All I want for Christmas is/are...

Tools
Paintbrushes
Exotic (for Melbourne) fruit tree (a cherimoya would be good)
Bunnings gift card

:D

The Y-man

I want to convince my family not to bother buying Christmas presents, but that's a dream I don't think I'll be able to achieve.

I love seeking out presents for others ... but not keen on receiving so much, so I give the adult kids a list of things I would like but don't necessary need (this year is new "matching" cutlery, funky clock - I collect clocks - and a white "matching" dinner set).

Hubby knows not to buy anything for me, so I buy my own present - sometimes expensive ($1,000+) and sometimes cheap, like this year ($25). It just depends on what I want.

Oh, we are getting ourselves a new outdoor furniture setting for Christmas so I guess that counts as expensive.

I'm embracing my inner nerd this year & have asked for a metal detector so I can be one of those ridiculed people walking along the beach finding 'treasures'

Mat has already said he will be walking at least 10 metres away from me....that's until I find the booty heh heh, then we'll see who comes running over to inspect 'my precious, oooh, look how it shines...'

Sometimes I find the whole consumerism thing a little depressing at this time of year.... especially the toyshops which are chockablock full of plastic throwaway things that have a real life of less than 6 weeks (if you're lucky!).
Because it's mainly for the kids, however, I still have fun picking out the pressies though the teenagers tend to get vouchers these days as they are way too difficult to buy for :eek:

This year I'd like someone to get me a day spa voucher (because I feel too guilty to splurge here!) and then to offer to cook for a week- that really would be the best present after the busy year I've had :D

I'm embracing my inner nerd this year & have asked for a metal detector so I can be one of those ridiculed people walking along the beach finding 'treasures'

Mat has already said he will be walking at least 10 metres away from me....that's until I find the booty heh heh, then we'll see who comes running over to inspect 'my precious, oooh, look how it shines...'

This made me laugh so much Mary- the only people I see using these contraptions are retirees who look as though they're short on a quid.... best of luck in unearthing some real treasure!!! We want pics in January :)

It is so much easier now.
I tell them to buy me nothing..and I mean it.
The kids seem happy with it, as we still give them all money for Xmas.
i say nothing and mean it but i get nagged about thinking of something and they actually think im not telling them what i want... lol
is it so wrong not to want anything id be more offended if i got something i really didnt want than nothing at all

I love not celebrating Xmas. You can't imagine the stress it brought (well maybe you can:) )
I did shop online for my mother's present yesterday.
Not being in the same country at Xmas time does help..and the fact it doesn't even seem like Xmas when it is summer !!!!

i could imagine but have never been in those shoes yet

Some people really like to give gifts... I dont like to take that pleasure away from them, even if I dont really need anything.

what about a subscription to an investing magazine, or a book on investing.

a voucher for a nice dinner out......

red balloon vouchers....

if they dont have that amount of money, movie tickets or store vouchers.

i see your point
im one of those people that hates receiving pressies and absolutely sucks at getting ideas of things to buy people
give me a reno over looking for pressies any day

All I want for Christmas is/are...

Tools
Paintbrushes
Exotic (for Melbourne) fruit tree (a cherimoya would be good)
Bunnings gift card

:D

The Y-man

lol i was getting worried when i got down to exotic...
i have plenty of tools since im in a trade there all at work but no point doubling up when i can bring them home when i need them and also get anything for a hardware shop cheap - family discount

I love seeking out presents for others ... but not keen on receiving so much, so I give the adult kids a list of things I would like but don't necessary need (this year is new "matching" cutlery, funky clock - I collect clocks - and a white "matching" dinner set).

sounds like i should get u to go pressie hunting for me :p

its interesting to see alot of people that also dont want much/anything, it appears im the odd one out in my family

give me a reno over looking for pressies any day

haha. That's exactly what I've got. Told everyone not to buy us anything and we're only buying for the kids.

We'll be busy ripping down walls, ripping out bathroom and kitchen, then replacing everything. The only shopping I'll be doing is at Bunnings.

I get really annoyed when family say don't get me anything, when they know full well I buy something every time anyway, and don't break the bank doing it.

I really enjoy giving gifts - more the personal/special rather than the big expensive, which to me is not what it's all about.

The worst are my mum and MIL, but both alway oo, ah, over their gifts (usually stunning home made gift boxes that I enjoy making, or things like nice sheets, nighties, pretty scarfes, perfume, small jewellery, etc.

Parents always give us money, which we never knock back - wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings :).

When asked previously, when the kids and all of us shared Xmas, I usually asked for a new pair of slippers, some nice socks, and chocolate bars, little bottles of jams and jellies.
anything except ornaments..I hated getting them..dust collectors...became a joke with the kids, that's what they said they were going to give me.

One year in school my daughter had to write a poem.
It was about me.
I said to write it for me and put it in a frame...a nice present !!!

....buy people....
i have plenty of tools since im in a trade there all at work but no point doubling up when i can bring them home when i need them and also get anything for a hardware shop cheap - family discount

Bro....that's it!

Tell them you want X hours of their time to work on your reno projects :D

The Y-man

Why is that? A bit of generosity is always nice at this time of year.

There's a difference between generosity and filling my house with crap I'll feel guilty for not using... I'm time poor, and when I have time I already have stuff to occupy my time.

I like buying for my niece, but the rest of us are all 25+ and have enough. If they have to buy me something, I usually suggest socks and soaps, because I can use them until they're gone.

I get really annoyed when family say don't get me anything, when they know full well I buy something every time anyway, and don't break the bank doing it.

I really enjoy giving gifts - more the personal/special rather than the big expensive, which to me is not what it's all about.

The worst are my mum and MIL, but both alway oo, ah, over their gifts (usually stunning home made gift boxes that I enjoy making, or things like nice sheets, nighties, pretty scarfes, perfume, small jewellery, etc.

Parents always give us money, which we never knock back - wouldn't want to hurt anyones feelings :).

Depends on the situation. In our family this year everyone is a bit tight for cash so I knew it would be welcomed with just buying for the kids.

Generally the kids know I don't need anything so they know I'll appreciate any thoughtful gift no matter the price.
Sounds like you put a lot of thought into your gifts and that's what;'s appreciated. If I was your MIL I wouldn't say get me nothing, I'd say give me one of your lovely gifts. It's not about the money to me.
Sometimes I spend a lot, sometimes not much. I look for gifts they will like. It's just this year I do not have the time to shop. But I do have a little thing for them. I collect during the year on my travels.

My birthday is close to Christmas so the kid is doubly worried about what to get me.

I've already told the other half to get me a block of lindt orange chocolate for my birthday and put my new website online for me or else, which doesn't really leave much. Maybe she can get me a plant or something :)

Back