Christmas Scrooges

My family refused to accept that I wasn't buying anything, and didn't want anything in return.
I purchased each of them something "useful".
My mum got a doggie ball thrower, my dad got a bag of tennis balls, my sister got a dog leash, and my brother a chew toy.
I had the happiest dog in the world.

The following year none of them got me anything, and I was happy.

I have also known to donate to charity in their names, and give them the receipt. They can claim it back on tax. A gift which keeps on giving in my opinion.

Blacky

My kinda person ;)

Meaningful.

The kids next door got four fluffy chooks for Christmas last year. This household lets their pets (and kids) roam. My mistake was that the first time the kids came over here into my front yard to collect their chooks, I told them it was OK. I should have sent my kids out to get them and we could have cooked them up for lunch. We wouldn't eat the children though.

Yes, I'm joking.

They all look the same when plucked :D

...The chooks

Another amazing scrooge incident was a work colleague of my brothers invited him and his wife around for a BBQ dinner, with one other couple (6 of them in total) and then proceeded to cook 2 scotch fillets (both for himself) and sausages for everyone else... I kid you not:eek:

Not a christmas event, but many years ago I invited a group of friends over for a BBQ. I was young and (very) poor - but did the right thing and 'splashed out' on sausages, chops and some steaks.
Now it must be mentioned that as a diver I catch a lot of seafood. Fish, lobster, crabs, muscles etc etc. And as this is all free to me, I eat a lot (and I mean a lot) of seafood. So come Sunday I really don't feel like more of it, and its just not 'special' to me. Give me a lump of red meat any day.

Anyway, at the end of a very enjoyable bbq I realized that my poor pooch needed dinner. I searched high and low, but there was no "dog" food. I dived into the freezer, grabbed two crayfish, and proceeded to feed them to my dog.
I still hear about it to this day :p (feeding my friends on "scummy" sausages while my dog gets the lobster)

The following week my friends all brought red meat - put it into my freezer, and proceeded to gorge themselves on seafood. And thus a Sunday bbq tradition was born. :D

Not scrooge thing - just a difference of what is normal.

Blacky

p.s must also be mentioned that my dog loves seafood too :D

Not a christmas event, but many years ago I invited a group of friends over for a BBQ. I was young and (very) poor - but did the right thing and 'splashed out' on sausages, chops and some steaks.
Now it must be mentioned that as a diver I catch a lot of seafood. Fish, lobster, crabs, muscles etc etc. And as this is all free to me, I eat a lot (and I mean a lot) of seafood. So come Sunday I really don't feel like more of it, and its just not 'special' to me. Give me a lump of red meat any day.

Anyway, at the end of a very enjoyable bbq I realized that my poor pooch needed dinner. I searched high and low, but there was no "dog" food. I dived into the freezer, grabbed two crayfish, and proceeded to feed them to my dog.
I still hear about it to this day :p (feeding my friends on "scummy" sausages while my dog gets the lobster)

The following week my friends all brought red meat - put it into my freezer, and proceeded to gorge themselves on seafood. And thus a Sunday bbq tradition was born. :D

Not scrooge thing - just a difference of what is normal.

Blacky

p.s must also be mentioned that my dog loves seafood too :D

I don't have any scrooge stories....but I really liked yours :)

I think I can take the cake here.
I went overseas straight after uni with very little money - about 3K - intending to stay for at least a year (stayed 2). My brother came overseas with me at the same time with even less. For the first few weeks we stayed with some family friends in London.
After we'd both found live-in jobs in pubs, my brother and I decided to take this couple out for dinner to thank them for putting us up. We said we'd shout.
While we were all sitting at the table just about to order, I said to my brother, "Would you mind covering the costs tonight and I'll pay you back? I just don't have any cash right now." (British banking was way behind us and ATMs were not around. This was in the days where you carried notes and coins. We didn't have credit cards or internet banking or anything.)
He answered: "I was going to ask you the same thing." :eek:
Here we were trying to thank them and didn't have a penny between us.
We had to tell them and go home hungry!!! :eek: :( I was so embarrassed.

Back