churchill gippsland ok to buy house and rent to students?

does anyone know about buying a house , property prices, rent, living conditions, crime, infrastructures, prices, in churchill gippsland

to buy house and rent to students?

5000 PEOPLE only does that mean it will be hard to rent out to students
and will take years before its really a growth place?
what are neg and positives does anyone know please.

Francine, have you been to Churchill? Have you spoken to Agents in the Area? These things are simple things that you can do before you come to the forum asking questions about an area. Do a little research yourself first. Crikey, even if you just Google someplace first would be a start.

Francine, have you been to Churchill? Have you spoken to Agents in the Area? These things are simple things that you can do before you come to the forum asking questions about an area. Do a little research yourself first. Crikey, even if you just Google someplace first would be a start.

LOL. Amen.

cheers

5000 PEOPLE only does that mean it will be hard to rent out to students
and will take years before its really a growth place?
what are neg and positives does anyone know please.

Francine, this is NOT the way to conduct your due dilligence.:eek:

You need to go do all that and then come back here with "I found this, what do you guys think?"

As others have said you need to do your own research. If you're targetting students, has the uni got an accommodation officer? If so, phone them up and find out what the demand is and what's being looked for.

There a lots of good natured people on this site, who are willing to help out with an answer or a suggestion. They do that selflessly and without reward, just happy to help.

Don't abuse that by asking questions about things that can easily be found out by doing a google search etc.

Any how, FWIW I think that Churchill will have decent prospects moving forward. Yield is good, house prices are low, and CG should be similar to Melb.

I wouldn't buy their for anything.. a very close relative worked for consumer affairs as a rental complaints officer in the area and churchill is known as a very high complaints area from landlords and tennants!
I would stay away...maybe thats why it looks enticing, because nobody wants the hassle?

Another thing to consider is - how far away from your own house do you want to buy?

Its all very well and good to find a bargain but if you're not willing to go there and check it out, talk to people etc ... and spend possibly a LOT of time on the road, what's the point?

I'm at an earlier stage of life to you, I'm in the house upgrading phase, I have the option to increase debt and rent out my outgrown houses. This kind of thing works for a low income couple in their 20s or 30s.

One of your options is to decrease your debt, downgrade and turn your one big city house into two smaller regional houses and have a nice retirement income. Maybe even be debt free if you do it right. Or you could buy a small country house for yourself (are all your kids grown now?) and rent out your current house.

What are you actually hoping to achieve here?

Hi there,

I have 2 properties in Churchill and would definitely look at buying another.

As the others said, do some research online. Have a look at the Town Regeneration Plan and the investment in ths shopping centre. Also the Uni itself continues to grow, adding new medical facilities a year or two back.

There are bad and good areas, so look this up. Talk to the accomodation officer at the Uni, she was good for us for info.

FWIW - we bought our first property to accomodate students. Never happened though as we had a family move in. Bought another and the same. So ready to rent to students, just cant get the families out :)

Also - cashflow is awesome there. I am getting 185 for 110K outlay in 2007, and 205 for 150K outlay two years later.

Chasing.

Hi guys,

CHurchill is a good place to invest. I bought in 2003 for $83,000 a 3 bedroom brick house. At that time rented for $110 per week.

Now, the property is worth $170,000, and renting for $210 pw previously. CUrrently, I renting to a student for $180 pw, its ok since she has no kids nor pets, and she helps keep the place clean and top condition.

That seems rather an expensive rent for Churchill. I've got one in a nearby suburb & haven't been able to get the rent above $180pw.

Hi guys,

CHurchill is a good place to invest.

This is where one asks a whole heap of 'what ifs'.

Sure it's done well historically but what about the future?

It's a bit of a single industry town. What's good for GM is good for Detroit (and vice versa)

What are the uni's plans?

Is there a risk they may pull out and make that giant cigar the only thing left standing? (Never happen you say - well Victoria Uni pulled out of Sunbury and Melton despite both having excellent population growth prospects and access from Melbourne)

Do you really think students from China, India, etc will pick studying in Churchill over Melbourne?

And is there a good choice of property managers or tradies - or will they charge extra for coming over from Traralgon or Morwell?

Back