City Of Campbelltown - South Australia

I was reading through the Campbelltown City Council (South Australia) Residential Development Plan Amendment – Draft for Public Consultation available for public consultation from 18 October 2012 to 14 December 2012.

Interesting to see how they are Creating New Policy Area's and changing the minimum site area for subdivision in the different policy area's. Changes to commence 2013

Some owners will be happy and others are going to be very very upset.

The owners in certain Policy Area's will now have their minimum site for detached & semi detached dwellings go from 350sqm to 500sqm, this will have a huge impact as many have bought older run down homes in these areas knowing they could always subdivide into 2. Many homes in these areas would have an average of say 700sqm, which would rule them out for a subdivision. I would say there would be less than 1% of the homes with a land size of greater than 1000sqm, so very little to no subdivisions will take place.

On the other hand, areas which are within 400m of Local Centre zones, commercial zones will have their minimum sizes reduced to 300sqm for a detached dwelling and even smaller for semi detached and row dwellings, smiles all round for these people.

Other areas around transport hub's and affordable housing developments will also get a smaller minimum size.

This is a huge change to this area and buyers who are looking to buy in the area should beware and take a closer look at the Development Plan changes.

see changes here

Also I think we are going to see many owners who will go from the 350sqm minimum to the 500sqm minimum applying for subdivision before the changes.

Bugger, I bought a week or two before this draft came out. Looks like I have to call the council.

Check which policy area you have just bought in. It might work in your favour.

It's not an official change as yet as it's still out for Public Consultation, then I believe has to go to the minister etc etc.

How soon were you looking to do your subdivision?

Whoops, I misread that. I bought in 2011, long before this came out.

I'm in Cam/6, trying to figure out right now what that means...

I was hoping to hold for 1.5 to 2 years before going down the subdivision route.

Hey, i'm within 400 m of lower north east road... therefore couldn't I potentially now drop a subdivided block size to 300sqm? :)

not all bad news

Interesting, on a quick glance it may appear that the proposed changes stop people subdividing smaller lots however developers may find ways around this... or just make a change in the housing styles.

I've lived in a policy zone for 6 years now that states low density dwellings on min 420m2 with 12m frontage for detached and semi-detached, but I can count now 4 developments with well under 840m2 land holding and well below 24m frontage that now have 2 dwellings on them (the most recent only 644m2), there has just been a shift away from detached torrens titled dwellings to community titled with party wall rights.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-glenelg+north-109538931

PS CJay, City of Onkaparinga made hammerheads much harder from Nov of 2010, changed min block from 300m2 to 400m2 (excluding the driveway).

Thanks eKwatee for posting. Will have to read the full doc when the kids go to bed later tonight but we live in the area and have developed some stuff within Campbelltown Council over the past couple of years so will be interesting to read exactly what they plan.

PS CJay, City of Onkaparinga made hammerheads much harder from Nov of 2010, changed min block from 300m2 to 400m2 (excluding the driveway).

Funny you should mention that. Someone suggested to me today that I should consider doing a hammerhead development on my property in Campbelltown. I'm still quite new to all of this, so I don't know how the proposed amendments will affect this.

Does anyone have a feel for how sellable hammerheads are in north-east metro region of Adelaide?

Thanks for posting. We own a property in Campbelltown on 370sqm, built 10 years aog, and lived in the suburb for three years. Just in our time, we noticed many old 700 - 800sqm blocks being bought, subdivided and sold as two 350 - 400sqm lots, with 3br 2bath 2 garage type courtyard homes.

With all the redevelopment that has already been done, surely this change is too late to have any meaningful impact, isn't it?

Funny you should mention that. Someone suggested to me today that I should consider doing a hammerhead development on my property in Campbelltown. I'm still quite new to all of this, so I don't know how the proposed amendments will affect this.

Does anyone have a feel for how sellable hammerheads are in north-east metro region of Adelaide?

I wouldn't buy one, but I am a small sample size :)

From memory, they are harder to sell and don't sell for as much as a 'side by side' development.

With all the redevelopment that has already been done, surely this change is too late to have any meaningful impact, isn't it?

You're right there has been many already redeveloped, I'm glad the council are trying to do something now as I don't think it's too late. A big problem was the developers were allowed to subdivide into 2, they just continuously built 2 relatively cheap looking identical narrow villa homes, even the same colour scheme(looks tacky). I would have hated to see the whole council area turn into areas like Gilles Plains as there are some great looking suburbs and areas within this council.

I would also suggest they are changing the plan to come into line with the State Government's "corridor" plan, having the higher density kept to a few streets back from the main roads and transport links and the rest to be left as traditional housing.

Back