Cladding / Bricking a fibro house

Cladding - probably not (unless you are in a conservation area), brick veneer - definitely as you are building a wall, you will require footings to be designed as well as tying the wall back to the stud walls.

pretty sure is asbestos... which is why im cladding.

Planning to leave fibro sheeting and clad over the top.

Have you considered using weatherboard?

There were quite a few fibro houses clad with either real or fake brick in Brisbane in the 1970s and, frankly, most look dreadful. The proportions are all wrong for brick.

Marg

I was actually thinking of using the vinyl cladding... the one that doesnt need repainting and you use a high pressure hose to clean every year or so.

I was actually thinking of using the vinyl cladding... the one that doesnt need repainting and you use a high pressure hose to clean every year or so.

Hey nek, definitely do not need council permission of you are cladding over old fibro, I did my place in the coast with vinyl cladding, the austech stuff, seriously have the whole house a uplift, then I was able to revalue and use the equity + some additional funds to build a granny flat, I'll put some pictures up so you can see the difference, but your need to use the experienced guys I've seen some shonky jobs before, especially around the eaves and barge boards

Also the reveals on the windows will not cover the back of the brick if you go that way..it will be quite expensive if your talking about foundations,brickwork and windows

Hey nek, definitely do not need council permission of you are cladding over old fibro, I did my place in the coast with vinyl cladding, the austech stuff, seriously have the whole house a uplift, then I was able to revalue and use the equity + some additional funds to build a granny flat, I'll put some pictures up so you can see the difference, but your need to use the experienced guys I've seen some shonky jobs before, especially around the eaves and barge boards

Hi Yangaz,

My fibro IP currently has this faux- brick cladding. It is not in the best condition and who ever did that job ages ago, did a shonky work. Will the vinyl cladding from Austech you referring to, make it look any better and raise the value?

I am waiting for the pictures as well.

Attachments

• external.jpg
    external.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,553
For an older fibro house, do i need approval if I wish to clad it or put a brick veneer on the outside?

Hi NeK,

Did you eventually get your IP vinyl cladded or brick cladded? I am considering an IP fibro house in Western Sydney brick-cladded as well. I really like bricked house rather than fibro or vinyl cladding fibro house.

Bricking a house will also make your eaves smaller.

I've seen a fibro house in Cabra which has had timber lengths attached horizontally over the fibro. Similar to hardiplank but the timber is about 100mm wide with a aperture of about 50mm, where the fibre is still visible.. Hard to explain but gee it looks nice. I'll try to find the address.

Bricking a house will also make your eaves smaller.

I've seen a fibro house in Cabra which has had timber lengths attached horizontally over the fibro. Similar to hardiplank but the timber is about 100mm wide with a aperture of about 50mm, where the fibre is still visible.. Hard to explain but gee it looks nice. I'll try to find the address.

I just heard roughly it costs $350 per sqm for bricking the external walls. I sort of pretty much fancy this idea...the whole house will become sort of brick house in $35-40k...plus internal transforming which might need another $30k, but is that sounding a good idea?...imagine the whole house will then look like brand new brick house inside out...

A brick house looks better and has better value IMO.

In terms of cost, there are 100 bricks per sq m and say a brick costs $1 plus say $1 to lay , so it should cost around $200 per sq m. It may be a little higher as I haven't chected prices lately, things may have become more expensive with the housing boom.

In addition you have to allow for footings, council and professional costs.

We recently cladded our PPOR with metal cladding with foam for insulation and looks great. We didn't need approval from council and it was complete in 3 days. I'm not on the computer at the moment to upload a picture but image a peachy pink fibro to a nice cream timber looking cladding. 100% improvement.

I decided to go with hardiplank cladding.
Brick veneer wasn't worth the extra $$$ in my opinion.

Hardiplank cladding worked well with the character of the existing house.

Here is a before and after picture of our place in Western Sydney.

We got the vinyl cladding at the same time as we were doing a granny flat - so they match.

We also had some cracked asbestos which the cladding covered - which apparently would be a valuation issue.

It gave the place a lift and made it look like new - but did not help with increased rent.

Attachments

• SM_Before.jpg
    SM_Before.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,290
  • SM_After.jpg
    SM_After.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,172
Last edited:
Back