Claiming interest on IP

tax implications/ use of investment funds

Hi everyone, new to the forum and enjoying reading the info.
I was looking at drawing down the equity on my investment loan, to 80% .The cashflow would cater for increasing interest rates, maintenance, loss of rent etc as opposed to using our own income .
Hypothetically, if I used the funds for personal use, say buy a car , pay school fees etc and not for investment use , would this lead to tax implications as I had used the equity in the investment loan.
regards
Theresa

Last edited:
Theresa said:
I was looking at drawing down the equity on my investment loan, to 80% .The cashflow would cater for increasing interest rates, maintenance, loss of rent etc as opposed to using our own income .
Hypothetically, if I used the funds for personal use, say buy a car , pay school fees etc and not for investment use , would this lead to tax implications as I had used the equity in the investment loan.
regards
Theresa

Theresa,

Can I sugguest that you read the ATO's Rental Property Guide that can be download from ATO's website.

Here's a cut and paste from the guide re your question.

EXAMPLE
Apportionment of interest

The Hitchmans decide to use their bank’s ‘Mortgage breaker’ account to take out a loan of $209,000 from which $170,000 is to be used to buy a rental property and $39,000 is to be used to purchase a private car. The bank officer advises them that they will need to work out each year how much of their interest payments is tax deductible. The of.cer gives them the following whole year example based on a loan interest rate of 6.75% per annum, and assuming that the property is rented from 1 July.

Interest for year 1 = $209,000 6.75% = $14,108

Apportionment of interest payment related to rental property:

$170,000
$14,108 X ------------ = $11,475
$209,000

Cheers

Danny D.

Hi Theresa

As Danny has suggested, interest is only deductible when the borrowed funds are used for income producing purposes. So, using the funds is OK and will not get you into trouble at all. However, you will need to apportion the interest between private and income purposes which could be messy.

Perhaps a LOC with two sub accounts? One for investment purposes and one for private purposes.

There has been an interesting thread recently (one of the smart people will no doubt (hopefully) post a link here) where we discussed a recent court case that has created a few headaches and potential headaches for investors along these very lines.

Well worth a read

Dale

Thankyou for the information, I have read the information on the ATO sight and now have a headache , it certainly gets complicated. Income producing was the key, maybe I'll draw down the funds to invest in shares and use the funds in our own home to set up line of credit for the unforseen expenses, less complicated that way, keep everything separate!
Thanks again
Theresa

Dale,
Here is the article on the court case:
Losing Interest Deductibility
Imagine how you would feel if you borrowed $100,000 to invest in shares. Then when it came time to do your tax return your Accountant told you the interest is not tax deductible because the money went from your loan to your cheque account so you could write a cheque to your broker. A recent AAT case decided that if loan funds are intermingled with other funds before being used for income producing purposes they are no longer considered to have their source in the loan.
Interest is not deductible on a loan unless the proceeds of the loan have been used to purchase or in relation to an income producing investment. The link can be simply lost by paying some spare cash off the loan and drawing it back later, or not being able to trace the flow of the funds to the investment. The ATO’s own ruling states “a rigid tracing of funds will not always be necessary as appropriate.” Yet in Domjan and Commissioner of Taxation [2004] AATA 815 the ATO successfully argued that the placing of borrowed money into a savings/cheque account with other personal funds broke the link necessary to prove the funds were borrowed for tax deductible purposes.
The AAT is not the highest court in the land but relevant nevertheless. The sitting AAT member stated:
“I accept the Commissioner's submissions. Where the funds have been intermingled it is impossible to determine the use to which they have been put. In other words the purpose of the borrowing cannot be ascertained. It cannot be said that the expenditure – that is the payment of interest – has been incurred in the course of gaining or producing assessable income”
Mrs Domjan also tried to argue that when she deposited private funds into her loan account they were quarantined from the loan so when she drew money from the loan for private purposes it was simply a redraw of those funds, not a separate loan for private purposes. She also contended that any private funds put back into the loan after the redraw should go only towards reducing the loan for private redraws. Further she should not be penalised for using her private funds to temporarily reduce the interest on the loan and as a result reduce her tax deduction. The AAT found that the funds could not be divided so all repayments were to be spread equally over the loan and she could not choose the character of the funds she was redrawing from.
Mrs Domjan was in for a penny in for a pound. She even claimed that as the bank required her to insure her home because it was security on the loan, the insurance should be tax deductible. No luck here either.
The AAT also found that when Mr Domjan used a lump sum he personally received to pay off his half of the loan, the amount had to still be split equally between them as they were co debtors on the loan. Therefore even though he had paid his share back he was still entitled to claim half the interest that related to Mrs Domjan’s share. As a result of this it would now be prudent, when only one member of a couple is borrowing to buy their share of an income producing jointly owned investment, the loan should only be in his or her name, not both. Trying to get a bank to agree to this may be a problem. If the bank will accept the non borrowing partner only giving a guarantee and his or her name does not actually appear on the loan, the problem may be avoided.
What was alarming was the fact that Mrs Domjan, who prepared her own tax return received, a 25% penalty on the basis she had been careless in claiming the interest in relation to the redraws. The ATO’s argument being she had been careless in relying on a draft ruling after the final ruling had been issued. In the ATO’s world taxpayers preparing their own tax returns should have a knowledge of the thousands of ATO rulings available and check regularly for updates. The AAT agreed with the ATO. I have quiet a problem with this conclusion because unlike the draft ruling the final ruling did not cover redraws. So the ATO’s argument is really that Mrs Domjan should have followed up the daft to read the final ruling and then realise that by ommitting parts of the draft but not issuing a counter view the ATO was really saying they no longer held the view expressed in the draft. The issue of redraws was eventually addressed in another ruling 2 years after Mrs Domjan had lodged the returns in questions.
Probably Mrs Domjan greatest mistake was representing herself before the AAT. Though I have no answer as to how the average taxpayer can afford to be equally represented against the ATO and its unlimited, taxpayer funded, resources.

Julia Hartman
[email protected]
www.bantacs.com.au

Theresa said:
regards
Theresa

Theresa,

This Spreadsheet will work it all out for you right across your portfolio.
:D

Attachments

• LOC Sub Account Interest Distribution.xls
    35 KB · Views: 165
Back