Claiming interest on money used to pay bills?

I have a general question around claiming interest on monies used to pay bills related to property investing.

If the cost is associated directly to the property i.e. council rates, water services, insurance etc etc and I was to pull money from the redraw attached to the investment property to pay such bills, does that interest still become tax deductible?

I am thinking if your investment loan has enough money in redraw to cover these costs and the interest is deductible would it make more sense to pay bills etc this way i.e. from redraw or pay out of your own personal money and just claim the bill expense with no interest costs?

I have researched a little bit about claiming interest and it all seems to talk about claiming interest to buy and for repairs, but not much about running costs.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes it can most definitely be done. Ive been doing for the past 15 years. It one tool you can use to increase your cash flow.

Sweet. That's exactly why i was looking at it. Cash flow. Seemed crazy to be using my money to pay bills when I could use the banks. Well its my equity but you know what i mean.

Do you know where this is spelt out in the ATO website or do they keep it a secret?

thanks for the reply

Sweet. That's exactly why i was looking at it. Cash flow. Seemed crazy to be using my money to pay bills when I could use the banks. Well its my equity but you know what i mean.

Do you know where this is spelt out in the ATO website or do they keep it a secret?

thanks for the reply

You may like to have read of this Interest on Interest thread and followup your own due diligence on the ITAA97 s 8-1 ruling mentioned within it.

I hope this helps.

Back