Claiming purchasing/borrowing costs from PPOR turned investment

I recently converted my PPOR of 2yr into investment. I would like to know what purchasing expenses I am eligible to claim pro rata or full in my situation. For example, solicitor fees, pest/building inspection, borrowing costs, ect.

Purchasing costs - not deductible whether ppor nor IP. So a non issue at this point. They do form part of the CGT calculations when you sell, though.

Borrowing costs - these are deductible over 5 years, ie 20% of them per year. So, if it was ppor for 2 yrs and IP for 3 yrs, then I think it'd be fair to deduct 0 in year 1 and 2, and 20% each of years 3, 4 and 5.

However, I'm not an accountant. Check with your own to be sure.

I would agree with DT except its really not 20% "per year"...Its claimed over 60 months (yes thats 5 years) or the loan term whichever is shorter. Reality is you probably didnt acquire it on 1st July. Using 60th mths v's 20% on a yearly basis is more accurate.

Of course the usual advice is to value the property when its first used to produce income and get a QS report that reflects the 2 year approach you described.

I would agree with DT except its really not 20% "per year"...Its claimed over 60 months (yes thats 5 years) or the loan term whichever is shorter. Reality is you probably didnt acquire it on 1st July. Using 60th mths v's 20% on a yearly basis is more accurate.

Of course the usual advice is to value the property when its first used to produce income and get a QS report that reflects the 2 year approach you described.

Thanks for the replies, Paul and Dave.

So what if the original loan term was 25 years but it is refinanced after 2 years?

That's different to how I've previously had it explained.

Are you saying if someone acquires an IP on June 1st (ie, late in the financial year), then they should only claim 1/60th of the borrowing expenses?

Thanks for the replies, Paul and Dave.

So what if the original loan term was 25 years but it is refinanced after 2 years?

See Paul's comment:
or the loan term whichever is shorter

One loan term ending = rest of borrowing costs could be claimed
new loan term starting = bororwing costs over 5 years.

@ D.T., yeah the borrowing cost are calculated on a pro rats basis in the first year of ownership, similar to depreciation

Back