Claiming up to $20 000 immediate deduction

What about new items that are part of a rental property?

White goods? Solar Panels?, New Carpet? etc.

Can these now be written off in lieu of depreciation?

The sentiment that you shouldn't spend to save tax is true, however this is an incredible incentive for small business where you are looking to replace something that you already have e.g. a $6k car,sell it at book value, replace with a $20k car

actually this works better if the asset being replaced is worth half (i.e. effective tax rate 50% in your own hands) of what you buy. the formula could be

existing asset / (1 - your tax rate) = what you should pay for a new asset to a maximum of $20k + GST

that needs modification tho as there is more upside than that

A business of constructing ? Then its part of trading stock and not eligible.
Constructing then holding ?? ....Dangerous.
A business of investing ? Many many properties ? Maybe even a whole apartment block. And an ABN ? And CGT isn't a issue to you ? A business might not fall under CGT rules.

I would ask your tax adviser if they think your business would be eligible.

So I'm interested in getting a new car and claiming the $20000 deduction. Is there a way of getting around things if the car I want to buy is more than $20000 ? So if including gst, can go to $22000 right ? Or is it not ok to claim that deduction if it costs more than that amount ?

Say for example I was to buy a car or tools worth 20k and I was to claim the depreciation, what amount would I receive as a tax deduction. Do you receive 100% as a depreciation amount or is it a percentage?

So I'm interested in getting a new car and claiming the $20000 deduction. Is there a way of getting around things if the car I want to buy is more than $20000 ? So if including gst, can go to $22000 right ? Or is it not ok to claim that deduction if it costs more than that amount ?

No it's not like it scales. The minute it goes to $20,001 ...then the deal is off.

Correct -- There is more to it than that. Lets break it down. IMO I believe you can buy a vehicle that costs $25,880 PLUS Rego / CTP this side of 30 June if its a trade use vehicle, you are reg for GST + its not subject to a logbook and you meet all the small business tests.

One catch. It must be the SOLE asset acquired and held in the small business pool. If there are already assets a $20K cap would apply (excl GST). Or $22K incl GST !!

1. Say you pay $26,880 incl GST and Rego (ignore duty)
2. Deduct the $1k for rego
3. Less the 1/11th GST of say $2,353
4. Leaves $23,527 to add to the small business pool
5. Pooled assets are depreciated at 15% in year of addition. Deduction is $3,529
6. Since pool has fallen to $19,998 the pool satisfies the $20K write off at 30 June. Joe Hockey described this event in the budget speech and in the Treasury budget papers.

I am thinking of assets that don't depreciate, art and antiques. classic cars (cheap ones!)

Art does depreciate according to the ATO effective life tables. Unless its a CGT asset (Monet etc)

Treasury and ATO have already come out and explained that businesses would be expected to use these assets in the course of their business to avoid a concern. ie Publically displayed, used in offices etc.

Of course if you are thinking of profiting remember sale of the assets generates a fully assessable amount since it has no book value. And no its not a capital gain. That really negates the deduction right ?

Is that amount including on road costs if you buy a car?

If you buy a car, is the $20000 ( ex GST ) including on road costs like registration, CTP, dealer delivery and stamp duty?

The federal budget provided that small business or sole trader with an ABN with a turnover of under $2 million a year can claim up to $20 000 a year. I have an ABN for a business that was a sole trader. I'm still the same sole trader, but have moved onto property and shares. One report advises:

"The new accelerated depreciation rules run from last night until the end of June 2017.

WHAT CAN I BUY?
"Anything used for running your business: computers, printers, office furniture, coffee machines, kitchen equipment, cars, tools. You can use the tax write-off on as many individual items as you want.

WHAT CAN?T I BUY?
"Stock for your business, office software and plants will be excluded, as will marketing costs."

If the turnover is under $2 million a year, can the above apply to people investing in property? Also, how does the term "sole trader" apply to property investors? TIA.

Art does depreciate according to the ATO effective life tables. Unless its a CGT asset (Monet etc)

Treasury and ATO have already come out and explained that businesses would be expected to use these assets in the course of their business to avoid a concern. ie Publically displayed, used in offices etc.

Of course if you are thinking of profiting remember sale of the assets generates a fully assessable amount since it has no book value. And no its not a capital gain. That really negates the deduction right ?

sure, publically displayed, then sold off at book value at some point in the future, or if fully written off then just scrap it

the other thing that is counter cyclical is antiques. Anyone know much about this market? apparently they are a bargain and trading around 10% of what they were 10+ years ago??

mighty fine office furniture! or fit out for hotel / short let businesses

Any news if the $20000 bill has been passed ?

The legislation is being bought to Parliament this week. I believe the oppn don't oppose this change BUT if its contained in a bill that includes changes the ALP oppose then the whole lot could be stalled.

2GB was talking about being able to instantly write off renovations to IP for a regular mum and dad investor. Ie spend $20k doing a kitchen or bathroom in a IP.

My understanding was this isn't correct?

Back