Clean Fill..

I need about 200 cubic metres of fill for a project.. I see people putting signs out "good clean fill wanted".. I thought I'd do the same.. but being a babe in the woods, what do I need to watch out for.. is some apparently good looking fill not something you'd want?

I have a really large area to fill, it'll be paved afterwards..

Any gotchas with asking for clean fill?

Last edited:
duncan_m said:
but being in a babe in the woods, what do I need to watch out for..

Any gotchas with asking for clean fill?
Duncan m,
Maybe have a look in the local paper under the the tenders and
quotes section,it would be the same down your area,always
seems to be several adds in sat paper for free fill some will even
deliver to the site,imho just stay away from builders fill try
swimming pool companys at least that fill would be clean.
good luck willair.

Hi Duncan,
I've got a pile of dirt/clay at Hackham west, probably about 30m3 , also some concrete if its any use to you - the builder is going to dump it in the next week,
402 Beach Rd, its all clean and uncontaminated.Let me know if you want it and I'll speak to him

Tom

Try driving around your local area and looking for new construction/excavation sites and ask the builder/owner if they have any clean fill they wish to get rid of. Owners generally pay to have fill either imported or removed from their sites. You may get it for free, or offer to split the cost of the cartage.

Another couple of options are to contact local earthmoving companies and as previously mentioned swimming pool installers/builders.

Bundy

i needed some major clean fill for a project so drove to one of the new subdivisions under construction, talked to a few of the truck drivers and ended up with 3 big rig loads for the price of a case of vb. otherwise, pool companies are the way to go - they often have to pay to tip their clean fill so are always looking for somewhere to dump it.

Be wary about just putting up a sign if you are not able to watch your site 24 hours a day.

Its an open invite for every operator to dump all their garbage on your site.

Contacting pool companies is a good idea, at least you can depend that the material should be ok if it has come from their excavation and is not demolition or vegetation material.

You need to be careful how the filling is placed if you are ever going to be building or paving on that part of the site. Strip the existing topsoil, spread new fill in 150mm layers, compact each layer, replace the topsoil, have Engineer test compaction, consider drainage, etc.

Have a look in your local paper for bobcat operators and boulder wall builders.
They sometimes have leftover fill. And you might need the bobcat to spread and compact it.

Subsidence can be significant if not compacted properly. Not even worth turfing til it has settled.

TommyR said:
Hi Duncan,
I've got a pile of dirt/clay at Hackham west, probably about 30m3 , also some concrete if its any use to you - the builder is going to dump it in the next week,
402 Beach Rd, its all clean and uncontaminated.Let me know if you want it and I'll speak to him

Tom

Nice site, thats the 6 or so units that have just gone up?

Would love the fill.. will PM you my mobile number and address, its a vacant lot so he can dump it anytime.. thanks! :)

duncan_m said:
I need about 200 cubic metres of fill for a project..
Duncan

Just make sure that you have Council permission to raise the levels on your site and the appropriate sedimentation control fences in place otherwise you could end up with a series of fines. Have seen this happen a few times before depending what your Council is like.

Jindaro said:
Duncan

Just make sure that you have Council permission to raise the levels on your site and the appropriate sedimentation control fences in place otherwise you could end up with a series of fines. Have seen this happen a few times before depending what your Council is like.

Thanks, no doubnt there'll be fees to pay too :(

Back