Cleaning a Washing Machine

It's an old Kleenmaid. It's around 20 years old. They made them to last.

They made them to damage clothes, create lint, wake the neighbours, and vibrate house foundations so badly that you need to replaster and/or retile the laundry. About as technologically advanced as a kingswood.

My electronic LG is 10 years old, never been serviced yet it still works perfectly, including the beeps to let us know when it's nearly finished, and again when it's done.

It's very quiet, clothes come out clean & lint free and unlike old washing machines, there is very little wear on the clothes since there is no agitator - it squirts bubbles of soap through the clothes and gently gyrates back and forth to wash them.

[/end pro electronic washer rant]

They made them to damage clothes, create lint, wake the neighbours, and vibrate house foundations so badly that you need to replaster and/or retile the laundry. About as technologically advanced as a kingswood.

My electronic LG is 10 years old, never been serviced yet it still works perfectly, including the beeps to let us know when it's nearly finished, and again when it's done.

It's very quiet, clothes come out clean & lint free and unlike old washing machines, there is very little wear on the clothes since there is no agitator - it squirts bubbles of soap through the clothes and gently gyrates back and forth to wash them.

[/end pro electronic washer rant]

LOL! Well.....the lint part is true. If I can fix that, it'll probably last another 20 years. I did the vinegar & bi-carb thing with it. So I will have to see if that worked.

Asked wifeee and this how it went

Me " What do you use to clean thewashing machine"
Wifeee "I am surprised you knew that we had one, you seem to miss it when you throw your clothes into the laundry, however thats better than what I can say for when you use the toilet"
Me "Good call wifeee, lets not start the whole your washing machine, vacuum, oven and my TV and golf clubs conversation again, now what do you use"
Wifeee " I use all your clothes and all the kids clothes"
Me " No surely some of that dirt we get on our clothes goes somewhere and it all doesn't go down the pipes"
Wifeee " Why are you asking this?"

So after that 2 minutes to assist people that I will never get back I have no answer

Jezza

"I am surprised you knew that we had one, you seem to miss it when you throw your clothes into the laundry, however thats better than what I can say for when you use the toilet"

LOL! Precisely why when/IF I ever choose to get married, I'm going for the Derryn Hinch setup! ;)

I can understand you wanting to hold onto it Skater, the new ones are rubbish. I've only been out of home 10 years and am already on my second brand new one and I only wash for one person! :eek:

LOL! Well.....the lint part is true. If I can fix that, it'll probably last another 20 years.

The clothes lasting alot longer with new washers is true and very noticeable aswell :rolleyes: There are lots of old parts wearing out so I seriously doubt it would go another 10 years, not without spending money in repairs... unless you have already? But why repair an old bomb when you can just buy one that is so much nicer to use, is much quieter and doesn't vibrate anywhere near as much...
Oh... nevermind.

Asked wifeee and this how it went...

...So after that 2 minutes to assist people that I will never get back I have no answer

Jezza

I wouldn't have said that :eek: I'd rather pull someone over for driving 2km/hr over the limit :rolleyes:
Maybe i'd say something like "Should we be putting something through the washer to keep it's insides clean?" But yeah, if you aren't doing around half the household chores, you're going to hear about it.

I can understand you wanting to hold onto it Skater, the new ones are rubbish. I've only been out of home 10 years and am already on my second brand new one and I only wash for one person! :eek:

That's interesting, what brand was this one washing machine that died in such a way, it caused you to believe that all new washing machines are rubbish :confused:

Last edited:
asked Wifeee And This How It Went

Me " What Do You Use To Clean Thewashing Machine"
Wifeee "i Am Surprised You Knew That We Had One, You Seem To Miss It When You Throw Your Clothes Into The Laundry, However Thats Better Than What I Can Say For When You Use The Toilet"
Me "good Call Wifeee, Lets Not Start The Whole Your Washing Machine, Vacuum, Oven And My Tv And Golf Clubs Conversation Again, Now What Do You Use"
Wifeee " I Use All Your Clothes And All The Kids Clothes"
Me " No Surely Some Of That Dirt We Get On Our Clothes Goes Somewhere And It All Doesn't Go Down The Pipes"
Wifeee " Why Are You Asking This?"

So After That 2 Minutes To Assist People That I Will Never Get Back I Have No Answer

Jezza

Lol!...............

The clothes lasting alot longer with new washers is true and very noticeable aswell :rolleyes: There are lots of old parts wearing out so I seriously doubt it would go another 10 years, not without spending money in repairs... unless you have already? But why repair an old bomb when you can just buy one that is so much nicer to use, is much quieter and doesn't vibrate anywhere near as much...
Oh... nevermind.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

I like my old washing machine. It was top of the line when we bought it, and one of the reasons we bought it was because we knew it would last. We have never had to repair it, and would really like to get a few more years out of it.

I agree with Biggles that most of the new things (not only washing machines) don't last long, whereas the old stuff was made to last.

For instance, my fridge got replaced a couple of years ago. The old one was around 20yrs old. It still worked a treat, but the shelves had started to break. We went looking for new shelves, but could not find any to fit, so had to buy a new one. When we told the person at the spare parts the age of the fridge, he looked incredulous as most people buy a new fridge after 5-7 years. :confused:

Also, many years ago when I had first left home I bought a new TV. It cost me around $600, so was quite expensive, bearing in mind this was over 20 years ago. Then my parents told me they were throwing theirs away because there was something wrong with it (they had had it for around 10 years at the time). I asked if I could have it, got it repaired ($40) and it worked better than my new one.

We held onto the old TV for most of our married life as it was the better quality of the two. We only got rid of it a few years ago.

You're more of a cheapskate than me :eek: I dunno why women love old vibrating washers :confused:

I've got quite a few 10 year old items, but when they die, i'll be replacing them. Stuff like the crt tv's, pc crt monitors (and yes they look better than most lcds available) fridge, washer, dryer, furniture, all sorts of stuff. My favourite is my ~10+ year old Amoisonic dvd player :cool: I've had to service it myself a year ago when the motor was vibrating due to worn bearings - filling the motor with oil solved that one. I'm very proud of that bargain - I got it for $415 back when brand name dvd players over $700 :eek: But when it finally dies, which i'm hoping will be in the next year or so, i'll grab a blueray player.

That's interesting, what brand was this one washing machine that died in such a way, it caused you to believe that all new washing machines are rubbish :confused:

I think it was Hoover. I guess the upside of stuff not lasting is that it's so cheap to replace these days compared to the "olden days" (at least from what I hear from my parents). Only trouble is, what a waste for our landfill and poor environment. :(

You're more of a cheapskate than me :eek:

Oh, now that hurts.:eek:

I don't like consumerism and have a hard time purchasing something new just because the next new thing comes in. That being said, we do have a plasma, but I haven't thrown the old TV out either. It can be handy to have a spare.

With the washing machine, it cost over $1k when we bought it, so it certainly wasn't a cheap item. If you can imagine wages (and we were on a very low income at the time) of 20 years ago and compare to today's wages. One of the selling points was that it was a Commercial washer, and as such was expected to have a long life (which it certainly has).

That being said, the lounge/dining furniture could do with replacing and I have no intention of doing this for a while yet. The reason: We have a 6 cats, so anything we get will look neglected after a short time. So, until the number of pets in the household reduces (could take a while) I don't want to spend good money on something that will still look "daggy".

The person bringing the lovable "extras" into the home has now moved interstate. Hopefully when she does get a PPOR of her own, she can take some of them with her so her parents can do some travelling. :D

Back