Cleaning a Washing Machine

I have an old washing machine. It still works well and I really don't want to replace it, however there are times that the clothes come out with "stuff" on them, like a layer of fluff. Does anyone know of a good product that can clean out the inner workings of a washing machine?

Pull out the parts in the tub, and clean and replace securely. Lint could be collecting somewhere, then gets released.

Check that the lint filter isn't damaged.

Pull out the parts in the tub, and clean and replace securely. Lint could be collecting somewhere, then gets released.

Check that the lint filter isn't damaged.

There doesn't appear to be any removeable parts. I was hoping there is a product, similar to one I've seen advertised for dishwashers.

There doesn't appear to be any removeable parts. I was hoping there is a product, similar to one I've seen advertised for dishwashers.

I'd probably try the Shannon Lush trick of putting half a cup of bicarb in the wash slot and half a cup of white vinegar in the rinse slot and running it through a quick cycle.

cheers

I'd go the white vinegar - haven't used bicarb before, but white vinegar is fantastic - also if you realize late in a wash that someone's left a tissue/receipt/piece of paper in pocket - it helps detissue the clothes in the rinse cycle

Hmmm.........I have tried vinegar previously without great success. I might try it again with some bi-carb and see if that makes a difference. I'm sure that it is a build up of lint, but don't know if that will break it down enough to clear it from the machine entirely.

There doesn't appear to be any removeable parts.

Your washer isn't one of these is it :confused::D

0038899.jpg

The only method I've used to clean my washing machine is to put it on a hot water cycle with HEAPS of detergent (I use about 2 large scoops of OMO) then let it soak.

My washing machine is about 10 years old and has a 3 hour soak setting so the machine agitates every 20 seconds or so, and the lid stays down, which mean the water remains warm (and steamy) and the movement in the machine dislodges all the crap.

Usually the water comes out really really dirty, so either I don't do it often enough or it works a treat.

Cheers
Buddybee

I use white vinegar, buy a 2 litre bottle of home brand, slosh 3/4 of it in the washing machine and run a full cycle.

Slosh the other 1/4 in the dishwasher if you have one.
Marg

There doesn't appear to be any removeable parts. .

Are you sure? Almost every washing machine I've seen has a lint filter - unless yours went missing.....

What's the make and model? Might be able to google it and find instructions etc....

The Y-man

A cup of epsom salts and the hottest setting, this is what the old radio lady in Melbourne years agao, Martha Gardener, used to swear by.

I've done it a few times and it does seem to work,

Are you sure? Almost every washing machine I've seen has a lint filter - unless yours went missing.....

What's the make and model? Might be able to google it and find instructions etc....

The Y-man

It's an old Kleenmaid. It's around 20 years old. They made them to last.

Back