Cleaning White Knight Tile Paint

G'Day

I painted a shower stall, bath and vanity splash back with White Knight Tile Paint about six months ago.

The tenants have broken the lease so here we go again, cleaning and polishing ready for the next tenant.

First time I've ever used a Rug Doctor, and boy! do my arms know it!!

In the shower stall, there are soap stains from the wall mounted soap dish down to the floor of the stall.

Any suggestions on how to remove these stains? Before I attack it with sugar soap, I was wondering if anyone who has used White Knight has a better idea.

Their website says 'Looking after Tile Paint is easy, just use only mild, non-abrasive cleaning products that will not damage the high gloss finish'.

So I guess that means any liquid product or spray on rinse off product.

Thanks

Kristine

PS You would think that people would at least vacuum, wouldn't you!

Kristine.. said:
First time I've ever used a Rug Doctor, and boy! do my arms know it!!

Hi Kristine,

Sorry to hear about your broken le ase.

I tried one of those Rug Doctors once, after the hire, the chemicals, the lugging it back and forth and the substandard result I figured a commercial carpet cleaner was better.. how about you?

Hi Duncan

I wasn't going to clean the carpets, but the departed tenants had disconnected the power without even wiping out the cupboards or vacuuming the floors.

So the pm told them they could either pay for a steam cleaner with a truck mounted unit or agree to pay for temporary electricity supply so that I could vacuum and have hot water for cleaning.

They agreed to that, but after I really looked through the place the hallways were totally grotty - some people never wipe their feet when entering a house - so I decided to try the Rug Doctor.

The smaller bedrooms weren't bad - dirty water but nothing amazing, but the hallways produced three canisters of black water filled with sand and hair. Ger-yuck!

The hire was $38 and the chemicals $19, I have about two thirds of a bottle left over. But yes, Mr Shazzam Steam Cleaning does a fantastic job and usually I am more than happy to just have Dave come and do the carpets but this was more an afterthought than a plan.

I will, however, pass the receipt to the pm and will try and get reimbursement from the tenant. They certainly could have done the cleaning but chose not to.

Anyway, it will all be done by Wednesday, and my new tenants are building three townhouses nearby, keeping one and renting the other two (or so I'm told) and they reckon they will only need the house for six months.

I'll believe that when it happens but at least the house will then be available at the letting prime time - December to January, so hopefully a longer tenant next time.

So what about cleaning the tile paint?

Cheers

Kristine

Kristine.. said:
So what about cleaning the tile paint?

Bummer that you're having to do all that cleaning!

Cant help with the Tile Paint.. any idea how to get chocolate milk stain out of moleskin jeans?

Any suggestions on how to remove these stains?

How about using a steam bullet? You can get them quite reasonably and they do wonders with all sorts of things;

Eg scorching on glass door of combustions fire,
cleaning stove tops/ovens (spatters and baked on stuff),
marks in the plughole of the sink from tannin build up from tea leaves.

Worth the investment from what I have seen. No chemicals or elbow grease, the yucky just flakes away.

Try "Shower Power" it is non abrasive and cleans soap and stuff quickly. We found that it is great for those fibreglass showers and things. It has non of the harmful things you expect and the amazing thing is that it really works.

Regarding the Tile Paint:

In the end, Sugar Soap came to the rescue, but the soap scum on the lower tiles was hard to shift.

I was being cautious, too, becuase the tiles are painted. If it was a ceramic surface then I would have used steel wool without a worry.

It's a funny feeling, standing in the house - any house - inbetween tenants. Things change: Gardens grow, neighbours build units in the backyard (true!), I notice little things which were or weren't there before. The neighbourhood changes, it's a bit like Life Cam, seeing things in blinks rather than in smooth motion.

Sometimes I feel like an interloper, and have to remind myself that it's my house, I have a right to be there. Listening to my mind talking to itself, it's interesting to eavesdrop on the conversation.

On the one hand, it is my pleasure to try and make the place as good as it can be for the new people coming in. To make it a welcoming place for them. On the other hand, I am constantly letting out sighs of exasperation 'You think they could have wiped the door handles' or ''Didn't they ever wipe their boots when they came inside' or 'How can people live without replacing blown light globes' or 'Didn't they ever turn the exhaust fan on' or 'Did they only ever eat bake in the oven fatty foods? (as I reach in under the oven and scrape the fat deposits from the floor!)'.

Then I stop and look out the window and think how lucky I am. How blessed I was on that day back on 1989 when I sat across the desk of my local Bank Manager and told him in impassioned sentences why I wanted to buy a child care centre and how I needed the money to do it and how I couldn't offer any direct security for the loan because Mike was vehemently opposed to the idea.

And the manager said: 'Is the house in both names? Well, if you default on the loan we'll come after your assets anyway so I'm prepared to approve the loan on that basis' and he did.

So I started my five years of wrestling jelly uphill with an unsecured Better Business Loan at 24.25% and this house was the direct result of that conversation (five years later).

When I bought it there were horse paddocks across the road and the paddocks were subjected to the occasional flooding from the creek right up to the bitumen. Now, there are McMansions built right down to the levee banks, the rural outlook has gone forever but to a newcomer the outlook is still rustic and quite scenic.

I'm proud of the transformation achieved by painting the kitchen cupboards in StopRust (I had a can in the shed, well, why not!) and then later with my favourite Easy-Flow Satin Enamel. For a 1970s kitchen it almost looks good!

So as I work my way around the house and admire my lovely doors (I repainted all 19 doors with two coats of Satin Enamel last year) and the modern, soft colour scheme (two days to rid the hallways of wallpaper) and - wait for it - the Studebaker curtains in the main bedroom!! I tell you, come the holocaust and those curtains will still be there - I can't help but think how lucky I am to have this house and the others and a healthy family (No: 2 Son's documents are ready, we have organised an earlier settlement) and how much, on a really deep level, that I appreciate having these houses.

But one thing always puzzles me: How come everybody from every house always takes the cutlery inserts?!

Cheers

Kristine

It is probably the easiest way to 'pack' the cutlery! Nice post Kristine! I guess we all have similar feelings from time to time. I get really smug when I consider some of the houses I have restored and brought back to life. I know that most tenants will not fully appreciate the work and care that has gone into these restorations but I find they generally treat the properties with some respect.

Back