Climate Change

I use about $150,000 worth of diesel a year. I pay all the tax I'm supposed to. If I didn't get the rebate back, I'd be subsidising the road system tens of thousands of dollars per year. A road system that my farm machinery is not using. It's also why mining gets the rebate too.

See ya's.

Except that Bayview says you don't get or want that subsidy. Are you saying he is wrong?

Except that Bayview says you don't get or want that subsidy. Are you saying he is wrong?

It's not a subsidy. The fuel excise is like a tax, collected to fund the national road system. So farmers and miners get the excise back as they are not using the roads.

How did we even get to this anyway and what's Mr Bayview got to do with it?

See ya's.

It's not a subsidy. The fuel excise is like a tax, collected to fund the national road system. So farmers and miners get the excise back as they are not using the roads.

See ya's.

Ok, subsidy, tax break, whatever. You get govt assistance for your farm. Bayview says you don't. Is he wrong?

I don't get any subsidy. If I didn't get the fuel excise back I'd be subsidising the road system for everyone else.

See ya's.

When it comes to being "down to earth", in touch with the environment, free of bull shoit and spin...you can't go past the group of humans who call themselves..... farmers.

They have no agenda on winning votes, scoring Gubb grants of play money, feathering their Academic hat, tv ego or fame, etc. There is no bull shid with farmers.

You get govt assistance. Put any words you like on it, you get help from the govt.

Last edited by a moderator:
You get govt assistance. Put any words you like on it, you get help from the govt. And yet Bayview says you are a unicorn. Interesting eh?

Whatever?. So every mine and farm is subsidised in Australia? Australia's entire primary industry subsidised? If it cheers you up to believe that then go ahead.

Lets drop the subject now eh? Just so ridiculous!

See ya's.

I use about $150,000 worth of diesel a year. I pay all the tax I'm supposed to. If I didn't get the rebate back, I'd be subsidising the road system tens of thousands of dollars per year. A road system that my farm machinery is not using. It's also why mining gets the rebate too.

See ya's.

When I was single and healthy, I was subsidising all sorts of things for families and sick people. Right now I am subsidising immoral offshore torture camps for people seeking asylum in Australia. The IT industry I work in, gets no grants no subsidies, nothing, yet my taxes go into supporting the car industry. I don't think Australia needs such a large military, yet my taxes pay to ensure the paranoid people feel safe.

It's a multi billion dollar industry, probably employing tens, if not hundreds of thousands world wide. It needs to be a problem, and the bigger the problem, the more the industry will grow and everyone involved in it will be better off.

There can't be seen to be any good come out of it. It all needs to be bad. So despite increasing rainfall globally, longer growing seasons, and increased atmospheric CO2 levels, We need to say global warming is going to be catastrophic to the worlds food supply. Yet on we go producing an extra 40 million tonnes of food each and every year? I wonder why?

If there was no warming happening, and if it was not going to be a problem, what the hell would a climate scientist have to do? The job probably wouldn't even exist!

There's heaps of reasons. I thought they'd be obvious?

See ya's.
A warming would not have a uniformly bad effect. Undoubtedly some areas will be better off. Rainfall will increase in some regions, and as you've pointed out, CO2 will increase growth. But rainfall patters will shift, and there will be areas of the world which will be drier and produce less. A rising ocean will mean some areas would be underwater- especially low lying areas like some islands and Bangladesh.

If patterns did change, there would have to be a shifting of crops grown.

Personally I wouldn't mind a warmer winter in Canberra. But I pity those people in the topics. 4C on top of temperatures they are already receiving would make things even more uncomfortable.

You get govt assistance. Put any words you like on it, you get help from the govt. And yet Bayview says you are a unicorn. Interesting eh?

I'm sure farmers get assistance from the Government in some areas like protection from imports, perhaps favourable tax rates and disaster relief.
The fuel tax credit scheme is not really assistance though because it's designed to ensure that a particular business input isn't taxed.
Similar to the way that businesses can claim back their GST on inputs.

The tax should be on the end user otherwise cost increases would compound through the economy.

There was also a particular levy raised some time ago specifically aimed at funding a major national roadworks program but in general I don't think the argument about off road use subsidising road users is valid because funds raised by taxes usually go into general revenue with all the other taxes, rather than in special compartments used to fund specific expenditures.

You get govt assistance. Put any words you like on it, you get help from the govt. eh?

LibGS, If you call not being liable for tax, a subsidy or assistance, then yes. But it is the equivalent of saying someone who is not on the top marginal tax rate is getting a subsidy or assistance because they are not liable for a higher tax.

Don't worry Hoffy, the gagging and silencing only works in one direction.

As far as I'm concerned, the Mods can delete whatever they wish from this thread. It ain't going anywhere.

As expected, and as usual, the topic has gone out the window, like all other threads of this ilk, no opinions have been altered one iota and the end result is no change whatsoever. Once again, it's degraded to this petty ****.

The political debate has moved on.

This is the best line of all from Esel. Given the recent federal election results, I'd have to agree with them !!

So...yes, you are not allowed an uninformed, unproven, unscientific opinion when it comes to airing your views on crucial "stuff" that is in essence physics, chemistry and maths.

Oh, this is just gold !!

The IT industry I work in....

Do you now....

I don't think Australia needs such a large military, yet my taxes pay to ensure the paranoid people feel safe.

Please see your above quote. I guess all of the tens of thousands of career officers and strategic planners should retire and let you take over.

A warming would not have a uniformly bad effect. Undoubtedly some areas will be better off. Rainfall will increase in some regions, and as you've pointed out, CO2 will increase growth. But rainfall patters will shift, and there will be areas of the world which will be drier and produce less. A rising ocean will mean some areas would be underwater- especially low lying areas like some islands and Bangladesh.

If patterns did change, there would have to be a shifting of crops grown.

Personally I wouldn't mind a warmer winter in Canberra. But I pity those people in the topics. 4C on top of temperatures they are already receiving would make things even more uncomfortable.

Yes, changing patterns is what those who research climate change predict as a possibility for Australia.
Warmer atmosphere means more water vapour they say.
IIRC for Australia they suggest a drier south East. Some areas the rain might come earlier in the season. Other areas less rain overall but when it does rain it will pour they say.

Back