Clipsal Downlights: Concrete Canister - Attn Electicians

Hi All,

Just wondering if there are any electricians out there that could assist.

We are at the final point of our house build ( Doubel Storey, 2c suspended slab) and have hit a snag interm of the downlights we chose dont fit within the concrete canisters the electircian has installed.

Because of having to meet 6 start energy rating, we had to go with a LED Gimbled downlight on the ground floor, so a downlight canister was pre-layed when the suspended slab was being poured. Long story short, the electician cant fit the downlights we chose due to the canister they used being too short in depthn to fit both the transformer and downlight

Downlight: L960W/12BC
Website: http://updates.clipsal.com/clipsalonline/Files/Brochures/W0001487.pdf

Electrican has passed the buck back to Clipsal saying the canister they used is what they recommened. Clipsal has been in touch with me saying they dont actually make a concrete canister to suit this gimbled down light.

I guess my question is where to from here, clipsal cant provide me with another downlight that is asthetical the same that will need the 6 star energy rating.

Does anyone know of a canister that should have been used? Also, can the slab not be widened with a grinder/chisel to make room for the transformer? There is around 80mm between the gyprock ceiling and conrete slab, i suggested to them that the transformer can sit in that space, but was told due it cant.

Any assistance would be greatly appriciated
Shane

I don't know if this helps, but we recently had a downlight catch fire in an IP due to a rat having made a nice nest over the nice warm downlight. There was no "can" surrounding the light due to the age of the installation. Fire brigade came and sprayed water into the fitting. Rather than take the risk of a rat having possibly made nests over other lights, and also because the water would have run along the ceiling and possibly wet the other lights, we chose to replace 12 down lights in this large area (cost us about $1K).

There was a steel beam sitting above the gyprock and no room for a "can" to take LED lights and the only option for us (cheapest option without having ugly lights) was to find a side entry fluro due to the restricted space between ceiling and steel beam.

Your space sounds different in that it is an existing hole into cement, but I wonder if you move to a squat fluro, whether that is an option. I was worried the fluros would look ugly, but the diffuser means it isn't obvious they are fluros and there is no "delay" in turning them on. They look great and I would not guess they are fluros.

Would something like this work for you in the space that is already there, to save having to modify the structure? We had our sparkie do some homework to find lights that fit the existing structure and space without modifying the ceiling. He knew what he was looking for much better than me.

Just hypothesing here: was the can selected suitable for the selected LED light or only for a gu10 halogen of the same design? the fins on the LED are much bigger against the non-existent cooling fins on the halogen equivalent.

This is a common issue with halogen/LED conversions.

thanks for the reply Scott,

yeah thats what i have been told that the canister wont fit this model downlight and infact clipsal dont even make one suitible for this gimbled LED downlight ( which i find it hard to believe, and they are just covering their backs after making a mistake)

Just frustrating as if i have to chose another downlight we run the risk of not meeting the 6 star energy rating, and we need to change all downlights through the whole house to this different model.

i was hoping adjustment can be made to widing the formed hole the canister has left to accomodate the correct LED Downlight

Back