Clogged pipe for every several weeks??? *rant*

<rant>
Got lots of problem with blocked pipes this year :mad:
The first one was, 2 months ago, tenant saying that laundry and sink not draining properly. So sent plumber, they said build up of stuff (old 40 years old house)

Then 2nd one 3 weeks ago, tenant said draining has been slow across all drainage. Sent plumber and he said tree trunk coming from broken junction, The invoice received last week said this will cause continual problem and should be replaced if it does. Otherwise just clean once or twice a year if it doesn't happen often.

Guess what. Just got another notice from PM that tenant called about slow drainage in bathroom tub and asked if they can call plumber ... I @$@$@#$%!@#$@ asked PM on the 2nd time to have the problem fixed for good! :mad::mad:

<rant over>

Asked the PM to ask tenant is it's something they can resolve from their side. Also asked her to send a different plumber next time (why didn't they ask for a quote to replace that broken junction at that moment??!!). It wasn't very nice email from me.

Any suggestions what else I can do?

*Trying to calm down*

Might need to get plumber to take photo of pipes to see if it's tree roots. Might need to replace pipes.Get at least 3 quotes.

It sounds to me like your tenants are the ones who should be annoyed, with constant problems with their drainage. I can't imagine any reason why they'd be inventing such a problem, therefore it's a real issue, and therefore it's your responsibility to fix it. It sounds like the plumber was trying to save you a major expense on the second visit by proposing a workaround.

Did you seriously ask the tenants to try and fix the plumbing? :confused: Are you serious? :eek:

We had a nice lush part of our lawn earlier when the sewer blocked. Plumber cleared blockage, said no roots, but if it recurs might need other action. Seems common sense to wait to see if there is a recurrence.

It sounds to me like your tenants are the ones who should be annoyed, with constant problems with their drainage.

I know. It gets to me when it's just early this year they have the entire hot water system replaced because of bad leak which supposedly increased their water usage - which apparently didn't go down even after being replaced. Then that gas pipe replacement, then a laundry leak, broken steps, a big dog in the property without notification, late rents etc etc

I can't imagine any reason why they'd be inventing such a problem, therefore it's a real issue, and therefore it's your responsibility to fix it. It sounds like the plumber was trying to save you a major expense on the second visit by proposing a workaround.

I really is pissed with the PM. Invoice come about 2 weeks after work is done, so I didn't see the recommendations until recently. PM say nothing -_-

Did you seriously ask the tenants to try and fix the plumbing? :confused: Are you serious? :eek:

Lol, no, I am wondering if it's going to resolve itself the next day. Had this issue once in an apartment I rent a long time ago and somehow it never clogged again 0_0

But yeah, I know I need to calm down

We had a nice lush part of our lawn earlier when the sewer blocked. Plumber cleared blockage, said no roots, but if it recurs might need other action. Seems common sense to wait to see if there is a recurrence.

I triple asked the PM to confirm the reason for the first and second blockage. She said plumbler said it's tree roots. So tree root it is, didn't mention anything about broken junction.

Might need to send the plumber again to fix that, and see if it resolves the issue :(

My advice in the case of an issue that doesn't go away after the first work around repair get a couple of quotes for the bigger but permanent fix.

Maintenance and late rent are separate issues and I know it is hard to seem them that way at this point! As you said yourself, it's an old house so it's not unusual to have these types of repair issues. Maybe best to attend the next routine inspection with the property manager and look first hand at the issues.

With regards to the other issues you mentioned regarding the dog and rent, take action if you haven't already. Breaches for late rent and dog without permission. :)

My advice in the case of an issue that doesn't go away after the first work around repair get a couple of quotes for the bigger but permanent fix.

Thanks Sez, PM talked to the plumber and he said it seems to be a separate issue with the bathroom drain, so yeah, need to send plumber again to find out -_-

Maintenance and late rent are separate issues and I know it is hard to seem them that way at this point! As you said yourself, it's an old house so it's not unusual to have these types of repair issues. Maybe best to attend the next routine inspection with the property manager and look first hand at the issues.

Yes it is, it's just the amount of issues coming very couple of weeks kind of make me want to punch the wall. Why can't it come in one bigger batch and less often :(

With regards to the other issues you mentioned regarding the dog and rent, take action if you haven't already. Breaches for late rent and dog without permission. :)

Yes, for dog told PM to give them document that said the tenant is responsible for any damage. As for late rent, addressed for so many times and they keep sliding. They do try to catch up and as the vacancy is kind of high, I decide to keep her there for now.

The problem will keep occurring with the blocked drains until the damaged pipes are fixed. You will need to send a camera down the drains to find the blockage, min. charge $250+ for the camera. Once they find the issue or damaged pipes they will need to estimate cost to repair, mainly labour costs to dig down and around damaged area. If you get 3 different quotes then you will need to pay for 3 lots of cameras which is not very smart. Maybe one camera then once you have the scope of work required ring around for quotes to repair. As for the leaking hot water tank they last for 10 years (on an average) and if leaking the barrel inside is broken and can not be fixed. If water usage didn't go up then you were lucky you got it early. Plus PM is only the messenger so don't shoot him or would you rather he just ignored the issues? Sounds like you have a property that is at a certain age when all goes wrong, hopefully for you the property doesnt have a pool as well!!

Only permanent fix for tree roots is get rid of the tree(s). Also got to make sure tenant (esp kids) aren't flushing things they're not supposed to.

My IP has tree root prob. Body corp has spent thousands on plumbers. Big tree in front yard is the culprit - its days are numbered.

My PPOR also had tree root prob. All offending trees are now in heaven. Had a mate dig up back yard and change damaged pipe. Pretty simple job but hard yakka. Saved heaps $ and no problem with pipes for over 5 yrs.

We have had our clogged pipes eeled for much less than $250 by our own plumber without a camera ($120 approx from memory). Maybe find a recommended plumber, so you are not ripped off.

One IP we had sewage seeping into the yard every six months or so and after a few visits, bit the bullet and ran new sewer pipes in poly to replace the old cracked pipes. No problems since.

In our PPOR we recently had the same issue, for the third time in about three years. First two times it was the connection with the main line under the street, but last time it was roots from a nearby (big) golden cane palm in our front yard getting into a join.

We got Urban Utilities in to put the rod down and they used a camera to show us exactly where the roots were entering a crack in the poly pipe. That visit cost us $220. We will dig up the area and our plumber will replace the cracked joint. We think it was probably crushed during other word in our yard. But the palm will stay. Once you fix the poly join or replace the old clay with poly the tree foots "shouldn't" be able to get back in easily.

If water usage didn't go up then you were lucky you got it early. Plus PM is only the messenger so don't shoot him or would you rather he just ignored the issues? Sounds like you have a property that is at a certain age when all goes wrong, hopefully for you the property doesnt have a pool as well!!

Water did go up :( but usage is charged to tenant and since then I got plumber to make sure every tap is water efficient. It just worry me as it indicates potential problems that have not been addressed.

Thank holy ice cream, that property doesn't have a pool. I'm not looking for property with pool, the potential problems might make me start ripping my hair off.

My PPOR also had tree root prob. All offending trees are now in heaven. Had a mate dig up back yard and change damaged pipe. Pretty simple job but hard yakka. Saved heaps $ and no problem with pipes for over 5 yrs.
I think it's neighbour tree, so I can t send it to heaven yet :rolleyes:

We have had our clogged pipes eeled for much less than $250 by our own plumber without a camera ($120 approx from memory). Maybe find a recommended plumber, so you are not ripped off.
This plumber is highly recommended by the PM, but if issues keep occurring I will ask for quotes as suggested by Salvatore. This time where I wish I have mates that can help hahaha

I believe identifying where the problem is the first step. The property should have an external grate, and if the external line is blocked, and the "stuff" is coming up through the grate, then the blockage is in the down line pipes, and is likely to be tree roots. If the blockage is above the grate, ie a sink or some such is not letting the water get away, then it is very likely to be foreign matter blocking the pipe and there is a high chance that the foreign matter belongs to the occupant. Some times a plunger is sufficient to move the foreign matter, if not the eel is needed.

Back