Coating for asbestos roof ?

Hey all, ( I do not work for or have any connection to these products)

Has anyone use Fibroshield ? Made by Crommelin (I think)

It encapsulates the asbestos roofing and also lowers the temp of the roof.. By about 40%

I had 3 choices

1. New roof $25,000
2. Thermo Shield $6000
3. Fibroshield $6500 after some negotiation

It's the only one so I understand that's also government approved.

Just wondering if anyone has any real world experiences with this stuff

Cheers

I did look into it about 3 years ago, you can by there products and apply it yourself with a quality airless spray gun. I do have contacts somewhere for there products and tech support if you need them.

The asbestos roof i had was in reasonable condition, just looked like crap. I ended up putting 2 coats of wattyl solarguard on. Still looks good and made 100% improvement and cost effective.

How are you planning on cleaning the roof?

Brian

You can not pressure clean. They use a chlorine or bleach, crommelin have some name for it and charge you 100% more. But you have to make sure your downpipes are disconnected in case it rains to stop the run off.

What problem am I trying to solve ?

The roof looks like crap and I am renovating and painting the whole thing.
the unit block is on a slope so you can see the roof when you approach the block from the high side.

It would be pointless for me to sand and repaint the block without doing something to the roof as it would ruin any other money spent on the looks.

Also no insulation in the roof space and its a very low pitch, this means that the asbestos heats up and transfers the heat internally.
The ceiling inside is so hot by the afternoon its bubbled paint ! and inside each unit is so hot its crazy and it lasts all night as Asbestos holds the heat.

so 3 problems....

1. Roof looks like total crap and needs a face lift
2. Asbestos is crazy hot and hold heat all night and pushes this into the units
3. Asbestos is crap and needs to be sealed so the fiber stays put and the tenants and neighbors have a safer world to live in and near.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had used this treatment before.. the warranty is 10 years so hopefully it will stick and stay stuck

http://www.crommelin.com.au/range/industry-and-trade/roofing/show/asbestos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJCM9_umWp0

Fibroseal Primer is a waterborne penetrating treatment to weathered asbestos cement sheeting that soaks through the
lichen and degraded asbestos down to sound base material, binding these unstable elements. When used together with Crommelin Fibroseal Topcoat, the product forms part of the Crommelin Fibroseal System, a proven encapsulation system used throughout Australia since 1990.

The roof looks like crap and I am renovating and painting the whole thing.
Great. But why not include this important info in the original post? I got an iron roof replaced for a fraction of the price you mention, but I have no idea what was the cost of removal of the asbestos in the quote you received.

If you ask advice, why not tell the whole story?

Great. But why not include this important info in the original post? I got an iron roof replaced for a fraction of the price you mention, but I have no idea what was the cost of removal of the asbestos in the quote you received.

If you ask advice, why not tell the whole story?

"Just wondering if anyone has any real world experiences with this stuff"

Thats what he was asking, seems quite simple and in your face to me.:rolleyes:

as for colour if heat is the problem go lighter - have surfmist colourbond roof and the roof cavity dont even feel that hot in summer, its amazing the difference between this and our last place rented which was black concrete tiles and they soaked up the heat like sponges. If you don't want to rip the asbestos off and go metal then paint it surfmist or another light grey. I am also curious about whether its safe to pressure clean asbestos roof tho...

Pretty sure you have to use an 'approved applicator' to claim the warranty, including regular maintenance, touch ups and check ups - so watch those extra costs to factor in.

With all coatings, preparation is the #1 key.

I have never personally used this product, but painted a roof or 2 in my time with waterproofing membranes. Great fun! :p

pinkboy

OK. Maybe I got hung up on the words "asbestos" and "new roof".

Asbestos is an efficient insulator so I'm not convinced by the "hotter" argument. An in-ceiling insulation (dare I mention pink batts?) coupled with a chlorine treatment to whiten the roof might be very effective. An acrylic white paint job would complete the job.

This not my field of expertise so I am merely suggesting a path of enquiry. I would suggest avoiding the drama though.

Edit: Forgot about the leaks. The more you walk on/paint the more you aggravate the leaks. I have no suggestions.

No pressure clean .. its illegal and the fines are massive.. (clean up costs)

They chemical clean, remove the extra growths and seal and paint.

I'm going a like colour its Dulux Evening Haze..

as for the comment on Asbestos not getting hot ... your kidding yourself.

Its CONCRETE SHEETS with Asbestos binding... so yes asbestos not hot concrete sheets very bloody hot.

especially as they go dark over time with the growth they get on them

all in all its crap.. id like to remove the lot but the cost is crazy and not in my budget.

Have you had a quote to replace with colourbond? If it is even close I would do that. The rest seems to me like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

One day you will want to replace it (especially if it is leaking) and if not, whoever buys the place down the track with discount heavily because of the ugly, (potentially) dangerous and leaking roof.

We made this same decision on our PPOR and chose colourbond. We figured that sooner or later this asbestos roof might cost us in a resale situation so bit the bullet and replaced it.

1. New roof $25,000 ( this was Zincalume) $3k more for colourbond
2. Thermo Shield $6000
3. Fibroshield $6500 after some negotiation

Back