Cochroaches in QLd

In Qld, who pays for pest treatments? REIQ lease, 12 months ago, looks to me like the tenant, but does anyone know more? PM didn't return my email before COB today. She asked me this afternoon if I want her to go ahead and get it done.

In NSW if it is at the start at the lease it would be the owners responsibility but after the tenant has been there for a while it would become the tenants responsibility as the owner is not responsible for mother nature.

Lifted from the RTA site -

Carpet cleaning and pest control should be specified in the tenancy agreement.
A property manager/owner can specify that carpets must be cleaned or pest control carried out to a required standard, if that was the standard at the start of the tenancy.
If pets are permitted, additional pest control may be specified in the agreement, e.g. flea treatment.
Tenants should be aware of their carpet cleaning and pest control obligations at the start of the tenancy.
If there is any doubt over whether the carpets were cleaned before the tenant moved in, the property manager/owner should be able to prove this.

We write into the lease and entry condition report that a treatment has been done before the tenant starts the lease, and that we request a treatment as they leave with proof to us this has been done (so the next tenant starts with a pest-free house) and that between the start and end of the tenancy, pest treatment is up to them.

We do the same as Wylie.

We always encourage our landlords to have a treatment done prior to new tenants and stipulate in our tenancy agreements that our tenants have it treated when vacate and provide a receipt to our office.

However, if challenged, it would be interesting.

The Act states that the property must be clean and free from pests, so it's really case by case.

As an agent, I would assess the tenants past routine inspections, whether they have pets and how long they have resided at the property.

I hate when those scummy cockroaches come to Qld - especially Gallen and Bird! Now there's 2 grubs that need exterminating!

pinkboy

Back