cockroach problem

The tenant asked the PM if I would pay for a pest inspector to spray for cockies.

I said that I would be happy to pay for cockroach bombs. Letting off 4 of them in the house in the morning is equivalent to letting off a napalm bomb WW2 Vietcomm. There will be dead bodies everywhere.

Do you agree that I can ask the tenant to use this modus operandi rather than a pest inspector? Im sure there is no issue here but thought I would check what other esteemed members of this forum might do in this situation.

It is one of these situations where I can get the tenant to resolve a problem where there is no risk of liability / injury- apart from the death of numerous cockies.

thanks

Is this a tenant that has been there for some time, or is it a new tenancy?

I will pay to get a place professionally sprayed for a new tenant, but once they have been there for 6 months or so, I usually won't do it again. I've killed the ones that were there, all the rest now belong to them.

If there is a bad infestation, setting off a few bombs will do little to resolve the problem.

I am a gung ho DIY kinda guy for this sort of stuff but I recently got an IP sprayed because it was supposedly pretty bad and the tenant has tried bombs.

I had a chat to the pest guy and he confirmed that while the tenant probably let it get worse than it needed too, it was at least partly an issue of cockroaches coming in from elsewhere.

I will see how it goes - but unless it seems bad again soon, I will getting them to let off a bunch of bombs!

You are responsible to have the premises sprayed at the beginning of the tenancy and thereafter it is the tenants responsibility so Skaters approach is right.

I try to do this too!

Large sheet of news paper in each room ,where the problem is, put the mortein in each position, close all the windows and go out .When you come home, sweep up and voila!
no cockies.

Also must clean up after any food, no crumbs or spillages left for them to drink or eat,

It works best at the beginning of summer, so you have a cocky free Summer.
Bliss

Hi Donkey,

In NSW is it a condition of the tenants lease to keep the property free of pests. If they have recently moved in and the problem was existing (and of course after they have tried the bombs) then you're probably best to get the spray.

I always get my tenants to use bombs first and provide me the receipt as proof. If that doesn't work there is usually a nest somewhere that a pest control company can remove at the landlords expense.

Hope this helps!

Is this a tenant that has been there for some time, or is it a new tenancy?

I will pay to get a place professionally sprayed for a new tenant, but once they have been there for 6 months or so, I usually won't do it again. I've killed the ones that were there, all the rest now belong to them.

If there is a bad infestation, setting off a few bombs will do little to resolve the problem.

Can you recommend someone?

I have big pest problems. Had it sprayed professionally twice in the last 2 months and before that a number of roach bombs (had the pest guy come back for free).

Don't know where they are coming from. I don't trust the pest guy can be doing that good a job.

i use this chinese cockroach poison.. seems beat everything all cockroach bait in Coles or Wollies
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/THE-ONE-ONLY-COCKROACH-ANT-BAIT-offer-includes-5-boxes-for-19-95-/171337489761?pt=AU_Pest_Control&hash=item27e4829d61&_uhb=1

found it in local asian groceries

Interesting claims on the ad.

A Famous Japanese Brand- Wanhualou

"Wanhualou" sounds very Chinese to me.....

"This Product Packaging is displayed in Japanese.." - epic fail. All in chinese.

The Y-man

Can you recommend someone?

I have big pest problems. Had it sprayed professionally twice in the last 2 months and before that a number of roach bombs (had the pest guy come back for free).

Don't know where they are coming from. I don't trust the pest guy can be doing that good a job.

I don't know who did the last one for us as it was organised by the PM, but the house was literally flooded with stuff. We had to go back in & mop up puddles of it a couple of days later. It probably needed to be, as we were vacuuming 100's of them off the walls as we were painting.

If you've got German Roaches they are a lot harder to shift than the big ones, and I've found you often have to get them out more than once, but they will usually come back for free the second time.

We had another really bad infestation before this one in a different IP & we've not had any issues since.

I'm sure if you call Rosie at The Professionals, she'll let you know who she uses.

I like to think of myself as a bit of a cockroach killer; I hate the things. You need to be persistent in killing them. Use bombs, surface spray, baits and those sticky mats which I don't think they sell in Australia anymore. All these methods will surely address them over time (not overnight). The only advantage I think a pest person would do is spray a perimeter around your house which is good. Why? If you kill all the moving cockies in your house, how do you not know the neighbours house isn?t worse. They will just crawl over during the night and having another party in your kitchen while you sleep.

I would go 50/50 with the tenant on costs to get someone in.

The glue ones work well also, noticed when a cocky carks, it drops its egg sac so they can continue to flourish. With the glue traps this also sticks

I have one tenant where I pay to spray the place professionally every year. She is from NZ so it freaks her out. No other tenant ever asks. They are Queenslanders.

Clean the house, no loose food, surface spray, bombs and egg stoppers. Not much left after that, even some late hatchers are doomed.
Good luck
cheers
crest133

Clean the house, no loose food, surface spray, bombs and egg stoppers. Not much left after that, even some late hatchers are doomed.
Good luck
cheers
crest133

Agree. It is impossible for the insects to get used to the insect growth regulator (IGR) in Mortein roach and flea 'bombs'. I have never encountered roaches that survive the Permethrin in it either. However all cupboards must be open and adequate cans used as recommended. Cheap, safe and reliable. The bonus for tenants is that it will knock off dust mites if they leave their mattresses and pillows uncovered.

Pet food left in the house or yard is just begging for a big roach problem.

Maybe some here are aware of where the IGR can be bought separately.

Back