Coffee Machines

I have a Gaggia Classic I got off eBay for $100. It actually does a good job but it is "needy" so it doesn't get as much use as my Aeropress. If you like a long black or Americano then you should try an Aeropress.

Oh, and always freshly ground beans, I have a Breville Smartgrider with a shim kit, it can grind fine enough to choke the Gaggia.

If you're seriously looking into all things coffee, try www.coffeesnobs.com.au. Also, I did the intro barista course at Jetblack in Cremorne, it was well worth it.

But DavidMc, this still requires work/cleaning, that's why my super dooper coffee machine was never used, no one could be bothered cleaning it.

Agreed - if cost, waste and a little bit of cleaning is not a concern, the pod system wins. For my needs it was a very close second.

Personally, I don't mind the work involved in a stove top system. I actually enjoy the 'artisan' minimalist old school-ness of the whole thing, making it the same way the Italians have for ages, using a flame instead of electricity (I can take it camping).

The other minor plus is I can try an unlimited variety of freshly roasted whole beans ground to drink - I'm not restricted to the options available in a pods system (not sure how fresh they grind?). In reality though I'm sure the pod systems coffee is perfectly fine, I'm not that much of a snob (single origin blah blah).

Those little Nespressos look very nice, congrats on the purchase!

well the topic was coffee machines not pod blasters.

here is my first love - La Pavoni. bought in 2006 for around $1,500. No pump, just simple boiler / lever action. your arm does the work!

sadly, it is now more of a museum piece, as the nespresso pod blaster is just too easy:eek:

Attachments

• DSC_1301.jpg
    DSC_1301.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 79
Wow, that's a swanky looking machine you have there, very nice.
To start the morning I have my 2 pod blasters every morning, just loving the flavour, I have gone from my instant coffee to pods, and lovin' it.

Problem is now I am spending $50 pw on coffee pods, such is life.:) No cleaning, that's a biggy.

I may lose all coffee credibility here but FWIW - those $1 coffees at 7/11 aren't too bad for a buck! Especially when you put 2x shots of 'short espresso' and then top it up manually with milk, nice and strong. Only handy if you live/work near one.

i use sunbeam 6910...

It is a manual machine and i have been using it for last 4 years. it is been good for me.

it cost around $550 with grinder (Now)

I didnt choose pod machine as it will be restrictive to purticular types of coffee brand. We are delighted to have over 50 option of local coffee rosters .. so i gave a flick to pod system.

sounds good mflying, but who gets designated to clean the coffee machine???? Nice coffee and lots of choice, but way too needy:eek:

Anyone tried the Nescaf? Dolce Gusto?

I'm thinking if buying one as a Father's Day present.

I don't drink coffee, so no idea...

Anyone tried the Nescaf? Dolce Gusto?

I'm thinking if buying one as a Father's Day present.

I don't drink coffee, so no idea...

I am a bit biased but does your father enjoy a good coffee or think of himself as a bit of a coffee aficionado? If he does, then don't get a capsule machine.

I am a bit biased but does your father enjoy a good coffee or think of himself as a bit of a coffee aficionado? If he does, then don't get a capsule machine.

Definitely not a coffee aficionado. Only ever known him to drink instant.

A relative has the dolce gusto and he liked it. It seems to have a few options for hot chocolates etc (thinking of me when I visit ;) )

Definitely not a coffee aficionado. Only ever known him to drink instant.

A relative has the dolce gusto and he liked it. It seems to have a few options for hot chocolates etc (thinking of me when I visit ;) )

If he drinks instant than he'll probably love the capsule machine.

Can get a lot of different flavours. I bought one for my grandma and my mum who doesn't drink coffee has bought hot chocolate capsules as well as white chocolate and jaffa and mint and other flavours too. I don't like the coffee but the chocolate ones are the too bad.

I don't know. Aldi sell their own pods but I don't know if they're cross compatible.

I like a strong coffee so pods don't suit.

I don't know. Aldi sell their own pods but I don't know if they're cross compatible.

I like a strong coffee so pods don't suit.

I like strong coffee also

Normally a couple of teaspoons of Moccana Indulgence or Rich

With a couple of strong coffee pods I'm bouncing off the wall like Tigger

I bought this 60 year old basic stove top machine - no moving parts or electricals, will last forever and makes great cappuccinos. Atomic, made in ITALY.... The most beautiful coffee machine ever manufactured

Attachments

• DSC_1325.jpg
    DSC_1325.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 62
Our local Woolworths had pod machines available at $69 today- half their normal price supposedly.

There appears to be some compatibility between machines. Dr google can help.

It seems a pod typically has about 5g of coffee- a normal coffee has from 10g, ranging up to perhaps 20g for strong.

Woolies also had pods for making tea.

"I'm a little teapod short and stout".

Back