Colorbond vs tile?

W

WebBoard

Hi,

I'm building my first IP on the Gold Coast. One of the decisions is to roof with Colorbond or tile.

I have heard that Colorbond fades over time, and that tile is better.

Does anyone have an experienced opinion?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Both Colorbond and concrete tiles fade over time, the only one that won't is terra cotta tiles. They will fade too but you won't live to see it ;-)

Personally I like tin roofs; they sound nice when it rains, are more water tight than tiles, have greater security, don't hold the heat (less thermal mass) and if they fade you can always paint them.

But then some Aussies just love the brick and tile home aka brick veneerial disease.

Michael Croft

Reply: 1.1

Ahh... fond memories of hearing those first heavy drops of rain on the corrugated iron roof of your own home, immediately preceeding a thunderstorm.

Don't get that living on the ground floor of a multi-storey block of units :(

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 1.1.1

I always thought that way too Sim'. Until those raindrops turned into the hailstorm we had in Sydney a few years back. I was home at the time and it was like being inside a kettle drum. Brings me back there every time it rains.

I'm glad we had a corrugated iron roof though as we came off a lot better than many others in our neighbourhood. It still dented the iron and the skylights didn't fair so well though :eek:)

Owen

"Gambling promises the poor what property performs for the rich – something for nothing"

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Me too Sim and MC - I always think all's well in the world when it's raining on my tin roof.

Re corrugate sheet - when building my Murcutt style tin house last year, I found you can get different grades. Since the house is right on the coast and subject to seaspray I looked at top quality colorbond but it was roughly twice the price. I ended up with the standard grade but was told I should be able to significantly extend the life of my new roof by hosing under the eaves occasionally. Punctures in the colorbond were also kept to a minimum and sealed properly.

michele

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

So you're a Glen Murcutt fan are you? I've got 'Leaves of Iron' lying around somewhere and I like his stuff but prefer the more organic styles of FLW eg. Falling Waters. Mind you tin and louvres suit our climate.

Michael Croft

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

Thanks everyone for the opinions. My preference is for Colorbond - I guess I'll look into more heavy duty versions.

Thanks again

Back